"All in All, it's just Another Brick in the Wahle" - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Seattle Seahawks

"All in All, it's just Another Brick in the Wahle"

Moderator: Football Moderators

"All in All, it's just Another Brick in the Wahle"

Postby Alkaholik » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:20 pm

WAHLE HEADING WEST?

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that former Panthers guard Mike Wahle is traveling to Seattle on Tuesday night for a Wednesday meeting with the Seahawks.

Wahle was dropped by the Panthers on Monday, in a move that will be processed as a post-June 1 transaction for cap purposes.

Wahle was a second-round selection of the Packers in the 1998 supplemental draft, which coincidentally was the last year in Green Bay for former head coach Mike Holmgren. Now, as the Big Show is getting ready to let the curtain fall on his career in Seattle after the 2008 season, they could be reunited for another one-year stint together.

and

Ex-Panthers OG Mike Wahle To Meet With Seahawks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Free agent OG Mike Wahle will reportedly meet with the Seahawks on Wednesday. Wahle, cut Monday in a cap-related move, was drafted by Green Bay during Mike Holmgren's tenure there. However, Seattle is going with a power running game this year, and Wahle's strength has come into question since he tore his labrum in 2006. He'd likely be a better fit for zone blocking.

Mike Wahle (LG) is visiting Seattle today. This could be huge for us. He is a proven veteran that could anchor that left side and make Walter Jones job easier as Walter will make Wahle's job easier. This also would be huge because it wouldnt cost it much to sign him for 1-3 years(he is an ageing vet).

Even though he might not be as good as player as Faneca, i think we would be better off with him, because Faneca will want a HUGE long term deal, while Wahle will want a short term deal thats not as expensive. His first season in the NFL was with Holmgren in GB too, so he is familier with Holm's.

With the money we save by signing Wahle instead of Faneca, we could afford to sign Trufant to a long term deal or at least Franchise him and get a couple 1st round picks out of it.

What do you guys think? i've watched this guy since he was drafted and couldnt be happier to get him, even though he has been somewhat injury prone lately...i would rank him among the top 7 Guards in the league
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 22)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: "All in All, it's just Another Brick in the Wahle"

Postby Alkaholik » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:30 pm

GREAT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seahawks Sign Free Agent G Mike Wahle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Seattle Seahawks have signed 10-year veteran and two-time Pro Bowler Mike Wahle to a multi-year contract, the team announced today. He started all 16 games for the Carolina Panthers last season at left guard and has started 128 of 142 career games played.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby biju » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:06 am

It's funny because I've been a big proponent of trying to grab Faneca this offseason, but this news was unexpected and, as you pointed out, much better for the team as a whole. We can continue to focus on spending money to keep Trufant here and continue to build our defense, plus this move gives us a very solid left side again for much less than Faneca was going to cost.

The downside: if Wahle can't stay healthy we revert back to 2007's line, which wasn't very good.

Now we need to get out there and either get D.J. Hackett back, or find a suitable replacement (maybe Jerry Porter?). Personally, I think Hackett has that big play ability and I hope we can just retain him. Seattle needs to think about a first day WR in this upcoming draft too. Engram isn't going to be able to keep up for more than another year or two I'm guessing, and I'm not sure if Burleson can exactly replace him. Besides, Burleson's contract was backend heavy and we will soon need him to restructure of we'll have to drop him outright, so his current contract isn't going to keep him with us for 3 more years.

Hopefully Holmgren can get Charlie Frye up to speed and we can use Seneca Wallace as a WR. I think he can make the transition.

But back to the meat: great job by the Seahawks brass to bring Wahle here!
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:00 am

I was big on Faneca too, but this looks pretty solid. ;-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Alkaholik » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:29 am

Nfl Fan wrote:I was big on Faneca too, but this looks pretty solid. ;-D

Yea, we grabbed the 2nd best Guard available this off-season for peanuts compared to what we would have had to pay for Faneca.....Faneca wants Hutchinson type money + a lil bit more.

I still want to know for how much we signed him for, but we pretty much stole him from everyone else....all i could find is that it's 5 years, but not the amount.

WAHLE SIGNS FIVE-YEAR DEAL

Media reports indicate that guard Mike Wahle's deal with the Seahawks is five years in length. A league source tells us that, as a practical matter, it's a contract that will last three or four years.

The source also says that Wahle received a small signing bonus but "good" salaries.

Wahle was cut earlier this week by the Panthers, and the only team he visited was Seattle. Though some readers question why Wahle would be able to sign with anyone prior to February 29, released players with four or more years of credited service whose contracts are terminated in the offseason are automatically eligible to sign with any team. Players with less than four years of service are subject to waivers before becoming free agents.
Alkaholik
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Nfl Fan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:59 am

Dang. That dude looks mean! I think I like the looks of this. ;-D

Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Return to Seattle Seahawks