Smoking In The Car With Kids - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to General Talk

Smoking In The Car With Kids

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:10 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm not telling parents how to raise their kids. Sheesh. How'd you get that out of what I've said? I pointed out something that is against the law for a reason. A damn good reason.


ORS I was surprised that Indiana isn't on the list of states you posted, I sure thought it was the law here. Even if it's not illegal here I still think leaving kids unattended, especially with the windows down as the case was in my story, is a bad idea and I don't regret for a second that I and the other bystander hopefully gave the parent something to think about.

Others may not agree. *shrug*.

ORS if I ever need a babysitter, I'm calling you. Or NFL Fan, who I think was the other PP here if I'm not mistaken.


Call me. I need practice before I have kids of my own. :-D
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:12 pm

scottaa1 wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:I'm not telling parents how to raise their kids. Sheesh. How'd you get that out of what I've said? I pointed out something that is against the law for a reason. A damn good reason.


ORS I was surprised that Indiana isn't on the list of states you posted, I sure thought it was the law here. Even if it's not illegal here I still think leaving kids unattended, especially with the windows down as the case was in my story, is a bad idea and I don't regret for a second that I and the other bystander hopefully gave the parent something to think about.

Others may not agree. *shrug*.

ORS if I ever need a babysitter, I'm calling you. Or NFL Fan, who I think was the other PP here if I'm not mistaken.


If I'm not busy. I'm already adopting any kids moon may have. :-b :-°
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby Tiki » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
I'm not telling parents how to raise their kids. Sheesh. How'd you get that out of what I've said? I pointed out something that is against the law for a reason. A damn good reason.

That is exactly what you are telling people. Don't smoke in the car with your kid, and don't leave your kid in the car at a gas station, when you go get gas. How is that not telling a parent how to raise/manage a kid?

But, I am done with this, clearly we are at different poles here. Maybe when I have a kid I'll think differently, but you can't live in fear that if you leave your kid in the car they are going to kidnapped, how is that living? Mine as well walk around with Teflon, a helmet, and a weapon of some sort all the times.
Ya Naaw Meen!?
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7020
Joined: 25 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: '08 DOM-35.

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Tiki wrote:
Omaha Red Sox wrote:
I'm not telling parents how to raise their kids. Sheesh. How'd you get that out of what I've said? I pointed out something that is against the law for a reason. A damn good reason.

That is exactly what you are telling people. Don't smoke in the car with your kid, and don't leave your kid in the car at a gas station, when you go get gas. How is that not telling a parent how to raise/manage a kid?

But, I am done with this, clearly we are at different poles here. Maybe when I have a kid I'll think differently, but you can't live in fear that if you leave your kid in the car they are going to kidnapped, how is that living? Mine as well walk around with Teflon, a helmet, and a weapon of some sort all the times.
Ya Naaw Meen!?


Oh, my goodness. This is reaching Tiki. Never leaving your child unattended and being irrationally paranoid are drastically different things.

And if feeling strongly about smoking around your kid and/or leaving them unattended and you consider that me telling people how to raise their kids, then so be it. Once again, you are showing your age Tiki.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe Ranker
Posts: 12290
Joined: 29 Jun 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Probably over there

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby Tiki » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Call me ignorant then, I just call it how I see it, sorry (I guess) I am only 18 going on 19. But, I am really the one stretching? I'd call that being paranoid if you think you can't leave you kid unattended in car cause someone might break your window and nipe your kid. I am not even all for smoking around kids that's stupid, whenever I am smoking a black & mild outside at a park or something (happened a lot when I was working at the state fair), and kids walk by I'll hold in my puff or clear the smoke away with my hand and move the black farther away from them. But, in the car....And I am not for leaving kids unattended in nearly any case, there are a few exceptions at the gas station being one of them. :-?
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7020
Joined: 25 Nov 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: '08 DOM-35.

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby knapplc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 4:29 pm

Tiki wrote:Call me ignorant then, I just call it how I see it, sorry (I guess) I am only 18 going on 19. But, I am really the one stretching? I'd call that being paranoid if you think you can't leave you kid unattended in car cause someone might break your window and nipe your kid. I am not even all for smoking around kids that's stupid, whenever I am smoking a black & mild outside at a park or something (happened a lot when I was working at the state fair), and kids walk by I'll hold in my puff or clear the smoke away with my hand and move the black farther away from them. But, in the car....And I am not for leaving kids unattended in nearly any case, there are a few exceptions at the gas station being one of them. :-?

If we gave you a lineup of 10 good guys and 10 bad guys, you wouldn't get who was good and who was bad 20 out of 20 times. That's the flaw in your logic - you're assuming that "here" the kids are safe. The reality is that we have no idea where the kids are safe because we have no idea who the bad guys are or where they are. Not knowing that it's best to NEVER leave you kid unattended in public, EVER.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sat Feb 16, 2008 5:38 pm

My view on this changed a lot when my little sister was approached by a stranger in the park. She and a friend were asked to come over to a guy on a bench. They didn't go and told the person supervising them. Long story short, the guy was arrested on a warrant for two counts of indecency with a child. The guy had a truck full of porn including child pornography.

This happened in the middle of the day in probably the most public park in the city right on the main street, when TWO people were supervising the children playing. And they were watching the kids too. This could have happened had my sister not had enough sense at 8 not to go over to strangers. And it would have happened right under my mom's nose, another teachers nose and about 20 people at the park's noses.

Don't underestimate the determination of a criminal and sicko.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby Kilroy » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:48 pm

knapplc wrote:
Tiki wrote:Call me ignorant then, I just call it how I see it, sorry (I guess) I am only 18 going on 19. But, I am really the one stretching? I'd call that being paranoid if you think you can't leave you kid unattended in car cause someone might break your window and nipe your kid. I am not even all for smoking around kids that's stupid, whenever I am smoking a black & mild outside at a park or something (happened a lot when I was working at the state fair), and kids walk by I'll hold in my puff or clear the smoke away with my hand and move the black farther away from them. But, in the car....And I am not for leaving kids unattended in nearly any case, there are a few exceptions at the gas station being one of them. :-?

If we gave you a lineup of 10 good guys and 10 bad guys, you wouldn't get who was good and who was bad 20 out of 20 times. That's the flaw in your logic - you're assuming that "here" the kids are safe. The reality is that we have no idea where the kids are safe because we have no idea who the bad guys are or where they are. Not knowing that it's best to NEVER leave you kid unattended in public, EVER.


Truer words were never spoken.

Hell, I won't let the people greeters at Wal-Mart put a smiley face sticker on my great-niece. You wanna give her a sticker, fine. Hand it to me, I'll hand it to her. Keep your mitts to yourself.

If that's "paranoid"...fine, I'm paranoid. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's not out to get you, and all it takes is letting your guard down once for tragedy to strike.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby RiffRaff » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:51 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
knapplc wrote:
Tiki wrote:Call me ignorant then, I just call it how I see it, sorry (I guess) I am only 18 going on 19. But, I am really the one stretching? I'd call that being paranoid if you think you can't leave you kid unattended in car cause someone might break your window and nipe your kid. I am not even all for smoking around kids that's stupid, whenever I am smoking a black & mild outside at a park or something (happened a lot when I was working at the state fair), and kids walk by I'll hold in my puff or clear the smoke away with my hand and move the black farther away from them. But, in the car....And I am not for leaving kids unattended in nearly any case, there are a few exceptions at the gas station being one of them. :-?

If we gave you a lineup of 10 good guys and 10 bad guys, you wouldn't get who was good and who was bad 20 out of 20 times. That's the flaw in your logic - you're assuming that "here" the kids are safe. The reality is that we have no idea where the kids are safe because we have no idea who the bad guys are or where they are. Not knowing that it's best to NEVER leave you kid unattended in public, EVER.


Truer words were never spoken.

Hell, I won't let the people greeters at Wal-Mart put a smiley face sticker on my great-niece. You wanna give her a sticker, fine. Hand it to me, I'll hand it to her. Keep your mitts to yourself.

If that's "paranoid"...fine, I'm paranoid. Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everyone's not out to get you, and all it takes is letting your guard down once for tragedy to strike.


But you'd let me give her a sticker wouldn't ya? :-)
Image
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 3527
Joined: 22 Apr 2007
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Re: Smoking In The Car With Kids

Postby knapplc » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:06 pm

RiffRaff wrote:But you'd let me give her a sticker wouldn't ya? :-)

As long as I'm standing there, sure. But if you do something wrong don't be shocked if I rip your arms off. :-)
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:36 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact