*Movie Battle (Action): #6 The Terminator vs #27 Man On Fire - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

*Movie Battle (Action): #6 The Terminator vs #27 Man On Fire

Moderator: Football Moderators

?

Poll ended at Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:39 am

The Terminator
90%
Man On Fire
10%

Total votes : 21

Re: *Movie Battle (Action): #6 The Terminator vs #27 Man On Fire

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:55 pm

treat24 wrote:
josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:Daniel Eagen is the writer. I watched the same movie he watched, and I'm a reasonably tough critic, and I don't agree with anything he's saying here. Case in point - Creasy dying of his wounds suffered in a brutal campaign against Pita's kidnappers hardly qualifies as a "forced happy ending" to me. But it made for a compelling enough article, I guess. :-b

Nobody is wrong for not liking this movie. I was just curious why.

I don't get it either. Denzel was an absolute badass in it. The only thing I can figure that's making people say they don't like it is the Dakota Fanning factor. :-?

boozie, raff, and i all didn't really think it was great and we said nothing about fahning? :-?

I'm so rewatching that movie today, maybe tomorrow. I have to now.

You couldn't pay me enough. No, on second thought, you could but it wouldn't be cheap. I'd need at least $500.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:56 pm

treat24 wrote:As Raff knows well, I've been able to predict every M. Night Shyamalan movie within 20 minutes... several (including the sixth sense and the village) from just the the previews. When I was younger I would hammer people, calling them idiots for actually being surprised at that movie (6th sense). I hate everything that director does. He is the most predictable director in Hollywood for my money. Many people like him. It's all about taste. Some people go in to movies not trying to figure them out. I don't. I like to try and figure out what will happen next. This is just an example of how a director can really taint a movie for some people. I'm a harsher critic on everything M night directscrapalot does. It's my guess why this writer is so hard on Tony Scott knapp.

I like Sham-a-lang-a-ding-dong a lot. I thought Lady in the Water sucked a high hard one, but other than that everything he's done has been really good. Sixth Sense and Signs are my two favorites. I'm a pretty smart guy and with as many movies and books as I've read, I'm probably better than most when it comes to predicting how a story will turn out. Having said that, I didn't know Bruce Willis was dead when I first saw 6th Sense and have no idea how that's even possible from just watching the trailer? :-?
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:08 pm

josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:As Raff knows well, I've been able to predict every M. Night Shyamalan movie within 20 minutes... several (including the sixth sense and the village) from just the the previews. When I was younger I would hammer people, calling them idiots for actually being surprised at that movie (6th sense). I hate everything that director does. He is the most predictable director in Hollywood for my money. Many people like him. It's all about taste. Some people go in to movies not trying to figure them out. I don't. I like to try and figure out what will happen next. This is just an example of how a director can really taint a movie for some people. I'm a harsher critic on everything M night directscrapalot does. It's my guess why this writer is so hard on Tony Scott knapp.

I like Sham-a-lang-a-ding-dong a lot. I thought Lady in the Water sucked a high hard one, but other than that everything he's done has been really good. Sixth Sense and Signs are my two favorites. I'm a pretty smart guy and with as many movies and books as I've read, I'm probably better than most when it comes to predicting how a story will turn out. Having said that, I didn't know Bruce Willis was dead when I first saw 6th Sense and have no idea how that's even possible from just watching the trailer? :-?

Treat = Shyamalan ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby treat24 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:09 pm

josebach wrote:

a couple things... i was taking a symbolism in film class at the time... so I guess my head was already in that frame of mind. During some of the previews it also appears that Bruce's life is in danger. I forget what... it's been awhile... I think I remember him almost getting hit by a car or something and I do remember the guy shooting. I could youtube it I bet. One also had him slightly grayer. The dead people in the film, girl under the bed in a preview, looked grayish. He is sitting on the steps and appears much grayer than other characters in one than in other previews. We learn in the movie that step scene is after he was killed. When the guy shoots him at the beginning of the movie any doubt in my mind had pretty much gone away. This being said... I have been wrong MANY MANY MANY times on guessing movies from previews. Just not with that director. It's a game my wife and I play. Predict the whole movie from the preview. My wife and I however have never lasted more than 20 minutes into an M very crappystupidman movie before figuring it all out. and then we sit there as we find out that we were right and had just wasted an hour + to find out if we were.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby treat24 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:10 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:Treat = Shyamalan ;-D

now it makes sense... I write horrible horrible scripts while extremely drunk and mail them to hollywood. so when I see the preview I'm like... that sounds familiar...
:-b

(yes I know M night is the director, not the writer of most his stuff...)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:12 pm

That would explain why you won't pony up a picture in the picture thread. :-?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:12 pm

treat24 wrote:
josebach wrote:

a couple things... i was taking a symbolism in film class at the time... so I guess my head was already in that frame of mind. During some of the previews it also appears that Bruce's life is in danger. I forget what... it's been awhile... I think I remember him almost getting hit by a car or something and I do remember the guy shooting. I could youtube it I bet. One also had him slightly grayer. The dead people in the film, girl under the bed in a preview, looked grayish. He is sitting on the steps and appears much grayer than other characters in one than in other previews. We learn in the movie that step scene is after he was killed. When the guy shoots him at the beginning of the movie any doubt in my mind had pretty much gone away. This being said... I have been wrong MANY MANY MANY times on guessing movies from previews. Just not with that director. It's a game my wife and I play. Predict the whole movie from the preview. My wife and I however have never lasted more than 20 minutes into an M very crappystupidman movie before figuring it all out. and then we sit there as we find out that we were right and had just wasted an hour + to find out if we were.

Dude, you didn't think Signs was tenseful and really well done? I was on the edge of my seat for the entire movie, practically.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:13 pm

treat24 wrote:

now it makes sense... I write horrible horrible scripts while extremely drunk and mail them to hollywood. so when I see the preview I'm like... that sounds familiar...

Actually, he's written all his big movies.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:15 pm

josebach wrote:
treat24 wrote:

Actually, he's written all his big movies.

that's what I thought, but I didn't do any researching for my post... I go off the top of my head sometimes...

as far as signs... it's the one I can claim I did not predict... My wife figured it out first. and yes... in under 20 minutes...

takes the suspense out of the movie a little....
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby josebach » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:25 pm

treat24 wrote:as far as signs... it's the one I can claim I did not predict... My wife figured it out first. and yes... in under 20 minutes...

takes the suspense out of the movie a little....

What did she figure out 20 minutes into it?

I didn't really think there was a twist with the exception of the "swing away" premonition his wife made near the end of the movie and the little girls's OCD water glass problem that ended up saving the day. Other than that it was a pretty straight forward alien invasion movie.

That's totally cool that you didn't like the movie, but I just don't understand how anything you could have figured out 20 minutes into the movie could have removed the suspense out of the rest of the film. Not trying to be difficult, I'm really curious. I've seen the movie 6-7 times and honestly don't know what you're referring to.
Last edited by josebach on Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk