Another Campus Tragedy...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Another Campus Tragedy...

Postby Kilroy » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:02 am

Northern Illinois this time.

msn.com wrote:Gunman kills six, then himself, on Ill. campus
At least 15 others injured; police say they don't yet know motive for horror

Eric Sumberg / AP

DEKALB, Ill. - Another person shot when a gunman opened fire at a lecture hall at Northern Illinois University has died, bringing the toll to seven, including the gunman, a coroner said Friday.

Investigators and school officials did not immediately know why the man indiscriminately fired into the crowd with a shotgun and two handguns Thursday, wounding 15 people and sending panicked students fleeing for the exits before killing himself.

"We have no motive and I have no way of knowing what the motive was," University Police Chief Donald Grady said.

DeKalb County Coroner Dennis J. Miller on Friday released the identities of the four victims who died in his county: Daniel Parmenter, 20, of Westchester; Catalina Garcia, 20, of Cicero; Ryanne Mace, 19, of Carpentersville; and Julianna Gehant, 32, of Meridan.

Two other victims died after being transferred to hospitals in other counties, Miller said in a news release.

Winnebago County Coroner Sue Fiduccia on Friday said a female victim died in her county but has not been identified pending notification of family. An autopsy was planned for Friday, she said.

Eighteen victims were brought to Kishwaukee Community Hospital, where one died, according to the hospital’s Web site. One male was transferred in critical condition and died at OSF St. Anthony Medical Center in Rockford, an official said.

Witnesses said the gunman, dressed in black and wearing a stocking cap, emerged from behind a screen on the stage of 200-seat Cole Hall and opened fire just as the class was about to end around 3 p.m.

Officials said 162 students were registered for the class but it was unknown how many were there Thursday.

Allyse Jerome, 19, a sophomore from Schaumburg, said the gunman burst through a stage door and pulled out a gun.

"Honestly, at first everyone thought it was a joke," Jerome said. Everyone hit the floor, she said. Then she got up and ran, but tripped. She said she felt like "an open target."

"He could've decided to get me," Jerome said Friday. "I thought for sure he was gonna get me."

The shooter had been a graduate student in sociology at Northern Illinois as recently as spring 2007, but was not currently enrolled at the 25,000-student campus, University President John Peters said.

Authorities did not release the gunman's name, but Peters said he had no record of police contact or an arrest record while attending Northern Illinois, about 65 miles west of Chicago.

The Chicago Tribune, citing two unidentified law enforcement sources, reported Friday that the gunman was a graduate student at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.

Lauren Carr said she was sitting in the third row when she saw the shooter walk through a door on the right-hand side of the stage, pointing a gun straight ahead.

"I personally Army-crawled halfway up the aisle," said Carr, a 20-year-old sophomore. "I said I could get up and run or I could die here."

She said a student in front of her was bleeding, "but he just kept running."

"I heard this girl scream, 'Run, he's reloading the gun!'"

More than a hundred students cried and hugged as they gathered outside the Phi Kappa Alpha sorority house early Friday morning to remember Dan Parmenter, the 20-year-old sophomore from Elmhurst, who was one of those killed.

"I'm not angry," his stepfather, Robert Greer, told the Chicago Tribune. "I'm just sad, and I know that right now what I need to do is comfort my wife."

All classes were canceled Thursday night and the campus was closed on Friday. Students were urged to call their parents "as soon as possible" and were offered counseling at any residence hall, according to the school Web site.

Cell phone service in the area became overloaded, and the university urged all students to send text messages to their parents to reassure them that they were safe and to help to account for everyone.

David Shaffer got a call from his stepdaughter, senior Lisa Mikolajewski, minutes after the shooting. She told her stepfather she had not seen the shooting but was calling to let her parents, who live in Phoenix, know she was unhurt.

Shaffer passed along a message on popular social networking site Facebook from his stepdaughter, who said she and her boyfriend were safe.

Mikolajewski wrote that her boyfriend “saw the shooter after he had been shot.”

“Christine (my roommate) was forced into lock down which is why I couldn’t find her," she wrote. "But she sent me a facebook message letting me know that she is safe and at a close friend’s house. So at least as far as I know my friends are safe. I hope it stays that way. No one can get a phone call out. So it’s pretty much chaos," Mikolajewski added.

Daley Hamilton of DeKalb, who was in DuSable Hall, next to Cole Hall, said he went down to the second floor and discovered a student lying on the ground.

The man entered the room from behind the instructor and, without saying anything, began shooting from the stage, Sundstrom and other witnesses said. Firing in the general direction of the students, he emptied a clip of ammunition and calmly reloaded before firing again.

“He just walked in and just started shooting at people randomly,” Sundstrom said. “I crawled out to the main aisle, then just got up and ran and turned around and saw him shooting.”

“I just don’t know why anybody would want to do anything like this," Sundstrom said.

The school was closed for one day during final exam week in December after campus police found threats, including racial slurs and references to shootings earlier in the year at Virginia Tech, scrawled on a bathroom wall in a dormitory. Police determined after an investigation that there was no imminent threat and the campus was reopened. Peters said he knew of no connection between that incident and Thursday's attack.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Another Campus Tragedy...

Postby Jimboozie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:04 am

oh rly 8-o
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Re: Another Campus Tragedy...

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:05 am

Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Return to General Talk