Sean Salisbury and ESPN Part Ways - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sean Salisbury and ESPN Part Ways

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sean Salisbury and ESPN Part Ways

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:43 pm

In an official statement, Sean says: "I want to thank ESPN for 12 great years of talking football on TV and the radio. I have grown as much as I can at ESPN and decided to expand my horizons. I have created a brand and it's time to expand into other opportunities in TV, radio, Internet, publishing, movies and public speaking, among others. My resume speaks for itself as a football analyst, and I believe I can talk all sports with the best of them."

I know they just hired Cris Carter...
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sean Salisbury and ESPN Part Ways

Postby treat24 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:48 pm

eaglesfan wrote:
In an official statement, Sean says: "I want to thank ESPN for 12 great years of talking football on TV and the radio. I have grown as much as I can at ESPN and decided to expand my horizons. I have created a brand and it's time to expand into other opportunities in TV, radio, Internet, publishing, movies and public speaking, among others. My resume speaks for itself as a football analyst, and I believe I can talk all sports with the best of them."

I know they just hired Cris Carter...

another former viking eh?

I wonder if Sean was sending more pics from his cell phone :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b :-b (that was some crazy stuff)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:49 pm

Even in his outgoing speech he is an arrogant prick. He has created a brand? I want nothing to do with the Sean Salisbury brand and I hope no other media outlet does either. The airwaves are a better place without him.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby mattb47 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:50 pm

Yea....I never really liked his attitude all that much and he was absolutely brutal to Clayton without really any reason other than that he thought he was a better analyst because he played football. I wont miss him all that much...
Last edited by mattb47 on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BigBadBrawler » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:21 pm

He was alright as an analyst, but I hated his attitude. He was a straight up bully, and I'm with you guys, I won't miss him or his arrogance one bit, and I won't be buying anything with his "brand" on it...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:25 pm

He sucked bigtime. He was annoying to watch and worse to listen to.

"Created a brand"? - maybe on the bitch channel.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:25 pm

He will be missed ;-7 :-b
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:29 pm

Salisbury's two "sleeper" teams for the 2007 regular season: the St. Louis Rams and Miami Dolphins. At least he went out with a bang. :-D
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby TheDiplomats » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:20 pm

I don't really like many of the ESPN NFL analysts..but Salisbury was arguably my least favorite. NFL Network is miles ahead in my opinion.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:10 pm

I believe the main catalyst was money. I read in another article that he was underpaid, compared to guys like Emmit Smith and Micheal Irvin.

Found it

Sean Salisbury says parting with ESPN was mutual

The NFL studio analyst, who had been with the network for 12 years, says, 'I've been liberated. I knew this was coming, but I couldn't be happier.'
By Larry Stewart, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 27, 2008
Of his departure from ESPN, which was announced Tuesday, Sean Salisbury said he felt unappreciated and underpaid and he knew that by asking for a seven-figure contract, the result would be a "mutual parting."

Salisbury, who had been an ESPN NFL studio analyst for 12 years, had already packed up and left and was in Dallas, where he has a second home, when reached on his cellphone Tuesday night.

"I'm a free agent," he said. "I've been liberated. I knew this was coming, but I couldn't be happier.

"I'd grown tired of being punished for not being an NFL superstar. Analysts who don't work as hard as me, don't prepare as hard as me, and don't have my resume were making more than me just because of their ability to throw or catch a football.
"Don't get me wrong, I appreciated the opportunity ESPN gave me, but they had capped my ceiling. There was only so far I could go there.

"I'd done nothing wrong, and if you hear otherwise, it's not true. I did everything that was asked of me.

"I have created a brand and it's time to expand into other opportunities in TV, radio, Internet, publishing, movies and public speaking, among others. My resume speaks for itself."

ESPN issued a statement saying, "Sean Salisbury has made many contributions to our efforts for the past 12 years. We thank him and wish him all the best."

When an ESPN spokesman was told of Salisbury's comments, the spokesman said, "We'll stick with our statement."

Salisbury, outspoken and opinionated on the air, said he already has some offers, including one from FSN. Another possibility, he said, was a non-sports role with CBS.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker