Sean Salisbury and ESPN Part Ways - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sean Salisbury and ESPN Part Ways

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Sean Salisbury and ESPN Part Ways

Postby deluxe_247 » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:39 pm

the guy is a tool. good riddance.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:50 am

ESPN just got a little bit better.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:29 am

It's not often I applaud espn, but I couldnt' be happier to see Salisbury jettisoned. I guess that his wanting to be paid, his photographic expressions, and his none to clever insulting of unfortunate looking co-workers was enough for the corporation to force a move.

Water seeks it's own level, now lets see if scum does too.

Goodbye Sean, your future is now open to big money deals. We're talking lawsuits, dude. Put the phone down, move away from the booze and just try to quietly fade away.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:42 am

He always seemed to both hate the Eagles and talk out of both sides of his mouth. He never struck me as smart. The year the Birds went to the Super Bowl, they were 8-0 and he still had them missing the playoffs. I think (not 100 percent), they basically needed only one more win at the time to clinch a spot. He just says stuff for the sake of it, and was not nearly as smart as he thought/thinks he was.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby spodog » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:03 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:He sucked bigtime. He was annoying to watch and worse to listen to.

"Created a brand"? - maybe on the bitch channel.

The bitch channel?

LMFAO!!
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby spodog » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:11 pm

OK, so much for the Salisbury Hate Fest.

I have to take the contrarian view here. Although the comment "I've created a brand" is admittedly self serving and over the top, I actually liked Salisbury as a football analyst and commentator.

Yes, he was overbearing at times, but who needs football analysts that have either very soft or very bland opinions? Anybody can cough up the same old crap every Sunday on TV . . . "they really need to execute on 1st down better", blah, blah, blah. There are at least 3 dozen guys on 6 networks that say the same junk week after week.

Salisbury and a few others have been consistently willing to stick their neck out, take strong opinions on teams, strong opinions on players, and on controversial league issues, and forecefully support those views on television. Not many have the cahonas to do that well.

As an example, you may recall that Salisbury was one of the only individuals who told Mercury Morris to "just get over it and shut up" during the media frenzy in the final 6 weeks of the season last year as the Patriots ripped off win after win, and all the old '72 Dolphins came crawling out of the woodwork to bitch and moan and go on about how the Patriots season was tainted and even if they won out they would not be as good as the '72 Dolphins. Morris was one of the worst about this. Most of the talking heads that interviewed Morris or referenced a Morris comment on TV just glossed over it.

Not Sean. He called Morris out on GameDay or one of the ESPN shows and told him to "just shut up". Classic.

I won't miss Salibury, because he isn't going far. He will be in television somewhere in '08. Wouldn't be surprised to see FOX give him a show.
spodog
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerCafe SpotterWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:32 pm

Except he didn't "stick his neck out" in any meaningful way, he just did it loudly. Every time I turned around, he was covering his butt. It's one thing to argue forcefully, but don't turn around and say something different on a different show, that same day. I have seen that more often than I care for.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BigBadBrawler » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:49 am

Not only that, but he would just shout down, insult, or ignore people who didn't agree with his assessment. I can't count the number of times that Salisbury and Clayton would be debating a topic on ESPN and Salisbury wouldn't bother to rebuke the points at all, instead he'd just insult Clayton personally (and I think it's funny that he used to point out that Clayton's opinions weren't as valuable as his because Clayton never played in the NFL, and yet he's now complaining that other commentators shouldn't be more valuable to the studio just because they're NFL superstars). Actually, the more I think of it, the more I believe he really does belong on Fox. He'd fit in there perfectly. They should give him his own show:

The Fair and Balanced Sports Show with Sean Salisbury

:-b
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:03 am

BigBadBrawler wrote:The Fair and Balanced Sports Show with Sean Salisbury :-b

Sponsored by Tampax.
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Lung » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:52 am

Good riddance. A true definition of a talking head, who seemingly only talks just to hear himself.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk