Ticket prices jump... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Ticket prices jump...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Ticket prices jump...

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:35 pm

...this year by an average of just over $11/game!

Understandable I guess given the world class product the Lions have given the fans the last half century!!! ;-7 ;-) :-b

LIONS OFF-SEASON
Despite slumping economy and seven straight losing seasons, Lions increase ticket prices
BY NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • February 28, 2008

The Lions are raising prices for most tickets.

The increase comes after seven consecutive losing seasons and amid an ailing Michigan economy. But the Lions say they need it to keep pace with the economics of the NFL.

They point out this is their first price increase in three years and project their average season-ticket price will remain below the league average.

"In order for us to maintain competitiveness in the NFL, we have to do this," executive vice president Tom Lewand said Wednesday. "I have not met a fan who enjoys a price increase. We really believe we are still very favorable in terms of our pricing."

The Lions have increased 83% of season-ticket prices. The biggest increase comes at the 50-yard line, where seats have gone from $70 to $90. The lowest price remains $40.

The Lions' average price per game for season tickets will be $71.85 -- up from $60.66, which ranked 28th in the NFL last year, according to a Lions news release.

The new average price is nearly equal to last year's league average of $71.36, and the projected league average this year is $75.86, according to the release.

Asked about increasing prices after going 31-81 over the past seven seasons, Lewand said this was the first increase of this scale since Ford Field opened in 2002.

Asked if the Michigan economy was considered, Lewand said: "Absolutely it was taken into account, and we absolutely recognize that."

Lewand said the salary cap was set at averages of league revenues. The salary cap increases from $109 million to $116 million this year, and Lewand said the Lions always spend to the limit.

"It's not something that's lost on us at all," Lewand said of the local economy. "But again, it's important that we continue to provide value for that -- and even more value, quite honestly. We recognize that we had some great games at Ford Field in 2007. We have to have more great games there -- and more great games that end in wins."

The Lions are not expected to pursue high-priced free agents when the market opens Friday, but they say that's because of football, not finances.

"There's no correlation," Lewand said. "We didn't raise ticket prices last year and we signed Dewayne White on the first day of free agency. It's a question of whether or not there's somebody out there that fits both from a salary-cap standpoint and all the other football reasons."

The Lions have sold out 49 consecutive home games -- 48 straight at Ford Field, plus the last game at the Silverdome. Are they worried this increase will put that streak in jeopardy?

"It's up to us to create that kind of environment that the fans are going to want to be a part of," Lewand said. "We don't take them for granted. I don't take them for granted.

"I think it's an incredibly important investment that they make in us, and we have to reward them for that investment, and we're ready to do that. We don't take this lightly. We understand that it is significant, but we also understand that it's necessary and that it's done in a way that provides value."

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 160)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Ticket prices jump...

Postby moochman » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:12 pm

Grab your ankles idiots, sorry Dream, but the Lions haven't abused you enough yet.

Why didn't any one ask Tom Lewand how this is going to make them more competitive? You realize he isn't talking about competitiveness on the field, right? What Tool Lewand is saying is "We don't know of any other way to make as much money as the rest of the club (NFL teams) so we are going to use the ole 'we haven't raised prices is ever so long' line to justify that our front office is totally incapable of putting a team on the field that will win enough to market. But our fans are just dumb enough to pay more money."

The special needs kid in my grade jr. highschool business class had the same response to the basic question of business. How do you increase revenue? Simple, you just raise prices.
It was the wrong answer then and it still is today.
This franchise is a joke.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby scrumtalecent » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:58 am

From Wikipedia:

"Ever since Millen's hiring, the team has had considerable difficulty remaining competitive. The Lions went the entire 2001, 2002, and 2003 seasons without a road victory, thus becoming the only team in NFL history not to win on the road for three consecutive entire seasons.

...and a year later, they raised ticket prices to "remain competitive". Three years later, they're raising them again to "remain competitive". Unless I hear the Lions are looking good, I'm done watching them. I have an incredibly warm (and fairly old) Lions winter jacket. It's not going to see the light of day for a few years. I'm not going to advertise for those jokers. Funny thing is, they know the "real Lion fans" will keep on paying for the tickets. Eventually, after Ford dies and Millen is assassinated, the Lions may be good again. There will be fans that say they stuck with them through thick and thin.

Morons. :-B
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby stomperrob » Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:50 pm

DREW SHARP
Ticket tragedy? Lions fans to blame for increases

Enough with the crying about unfairness!

It's nothing more than insipid whining about the Lions' increasing more than 80% of their season ticket prices an average of 18% next season. Who cares if it's bad public relations or displays blind ignorance to Michigan's dire economic state?

It's a simple precept of supply and demand. If you have a market that annually sells out home games at premium prices for an outrageously bad product, you're crazy if you don't push that gullibility as far as possible.

The Lions aren't the problem this time.

Their fans are the problem.

Don't like paying more for garbage?

Then what are you prepared to do to express that displeasure?

Are you prepared to keep your checkbooks closed, Visa cards secured in your wallets and just walk away?

Yeah, right.

It's not a matter of boycotting to teach the Fords a lesson, but rather just walking away for your own sanity and self-respect.

The NFL is a national addiction. The Lions are like a nicotine habit. There should be a surgeon general's warning on every ticket, alerting the consumer of the psychological risks attached to the usage of this product. But that doesn't curb the craving. It doesn't ease the self-flagellation when the Lions fan once again bows to those impulses.

Why should the Lions cut those people a break? Why help those who've shown no capacity for helping themselves?

Experiencing NFL football in person is a choice. It's not a necessity. It's not like inflationary predicaments in which there is little to no alternative, like gasoline potentially reaching $4 a gallon by summer or your grocery bill going up every week.

The Lions justified the price increase as keeping pace with the average value of NFL tickets. The average price for their 2007 tickets ranked among the lowest in the league. They spun the price increase into a league competitiveness issue.

But what they don't tell you is that ticket sales are all profit. An NFL team would finish the fiscal year in the black financially even if it didn't sell one ticket because of the billions in revenue the league generates simply from its broadcast and cable network television rights deals.

That's why economic boycotts won't register with the Lions.

It won't change because the mentality of the Lions fan won't change. The fans would rather cry about the cost of going to the circus instead of learning that they could live quite comfortably without the big top.

Contact DREW SHARP at 313-223-4055 or dsharp@freepress.com.
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:55 pm

moochman wrote:Grab your ankles idiots, sorry Dream, but the Lions haven't abused you enough yet.

:-o

:,-( :~(

MIne went up from $62 to $66. Obviously not a huge jump, but when you look at the product and that I have been shelling out the money year after year to see this pathetic team, $4 is huge :-t
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby dream_017 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:25 pm

dream_017 wrote:
moochman wrote:Grab your ankles idiots, sorry Dream, but the Lions haven't abused you enough yet.

MIne went up from $62 to $66. Obviously not a huge jump, but when you look at the product and that I have been shelling out the money year after year to see this pathetic team, $4 is huge :-t

I think this is the first time I have directly quoted myself :-b

I had to run the other day, so I didn't get all that I wanted to add.

This is going to be my 10th season. 8-o I have had the same seats, little movement from the Silverdome to Ford Field, the 1st year our seats cost $50/game. I think there have only been 3 seasons that ticket prices have not risen. The problem is not with those of us that go to the games and buying tickets each year. It's football, we're going to want to go, even if it is the Lions. We talked about this in another thread, I do get to see other great team come through here. I forget what the numbers are and don't feel like looking it up, but I think all but a couple years I have seen in person a represenative in the Super Bowl. This year I saw the Super Bowl champs. So, they have us right where they want us, it is the only game in town, also who can deny tailgating ;-D It is an event 8 times a year. Actually less once we get burnt out from the main team we go see.

The majority of season ticket holders don't want to be the ones to give up their tickets the year the Lions turn things around....the only problem is most of us might run out of money before that happens !+)
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby RiffRaff » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:41 pm

dream_017 wrote:

What kind of seats do you get for $66. I'd imagine those are 50 yard line, no more than 5 rows up. :-b
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby scrumtalecent » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:03 am

I sorta get where you're coming from, Dream, because you're obviously a big fan of football and the Lions just happen to be the team we're stuck with. I suppose it's like being a Nascar fan and going to every race you can, only to see you're favorite driver always come in last place and knowing all along the crew cheif makes no attempt to put the best parts in the car.

It's like being a fan of the L.A. Clippers, but knowing they'll never be as good as the Lakers and when ever they get a good player, they'll run him into the ground until he leaves and the owner will almost never go get the biggest free agents on the market.

It's like being a huge fan of the 10 year old Tampa Bay Rays who have never had a winning record and have only finished better than last one year. I'm sure they have season ticket holders as well and know that one of these years they'll have a good year.

It may even be like being a fan of poker player Chris Moneymaker. Everyone who watches him knows he just got incredibly lucky one year (a WSOP/Barry Sanders analogy) which let him play along the elite for a while. We all know he really has no idea how to play the game the way it should be played on a regular basis, but he did get lucky that one time and maybe he'll get lucky again.

As far being able to see a Super Bowl representative, I really wouldn't care about that. I was a huge fan of the Lions in the 90's and saw them play against the Rams in 1999. Gus Ferotte threw a 54 yard pass to Germane Crowell on a 4th and 26 play with the Lions losing, behind their 10 yard line and only a few minutes left to go in the game. If Germane doesn't catch that pass, and Johnnie Morton doesn't catch the eventual game winning TD on his knees in the corner of the endzone, that game wouldn't stick in my mind like it has. I couldn't tell a story of the game the Lions "almost" beat a Super Bowl winner.

Either way you slice it, enjoy yourself at the games, and if I knew what you looked like, I'd watch for you except I won't be watching at all. The Lions are a waste of my time.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:45 pm

Let be say for the record Dream, I am envious of your season tix. The price isn't that bad when you conisder the enjoyment of being at a live sporting event. Even a Lions game.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:17 am

moochman wrote:Let be say for the record Dream, I am envious of your season tix. The price isn't that bad when you conisder the enjoyment of being at a live sporting event. Even a Lions game.

And the ticket price is kind of a bargain compared to most teams seeing as ya never have to shell out for playoff tickets!!!
;-) ;-7 :-b
stomperrob

Next

Return to Detroit Lions