Ticket prices jump... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Ticket prices jump...

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Ticket prices jump...

Postby scrumtalecent » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:32 am

moochman wrote:Let be say for the record Dream, I am envious of your season tix. The price isn't that bad when you conisder the enjoyment of being at a live sporting event. Even a Lions game.

The commish of our fantasy league (and this year's Super Bowl winner) had season tickets up until about 5 or 6 years ago. Now he spends much of his Sunday's either bowling or coaching his son's football team. I envy him more for that than I would if he would've kept his tix.

I will envy you if CJ blossoms into the receiver we expect him to be, Roy sticks around, Tatum Bell is The Man, and the Lions get a decent quarterback and they manage to get some protection for said quarterback. That's a lot to hope for.

The Rams and Bengals were two of the worst teams of the 90's but they managed to pick themselves up with the likes of a younger and less abused Jon Kitna, Chad Johnson, Palmer, Warner, Holt, Faulk and Bruce. Arizona looks decent with a young QB/Warner and a couple of very good WR. The Ravens were spectacular on defense and were a very good team for years because of it. I don't see the Lions getting close in any of these areas, so while you may bear the fruit of your labor over the years by sticking it out, anyone currently going to Lion games on a regular basis is just a glutton for punishment.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:09 am

stomperrob wrote:
moochman wrote:Let be say for the record Dream, I am envious of your season tix. The price isn't that bad when you conisder the enjoyment of being at a live sporting event. Even a Lions game.

And the ticket price is kind of a bargain compared to most teams seeing as ya never have to shell out for playoff tickets!!!
;-) ;-7 :-b

True. But Lions football compared to most other teams in the league is like watching Oscar nominated movies or watching a Benny Hill marathon. Which would you be willing to pay more to see?

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby dream_017 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:50 pm

Correct, it isn't really that bad all things considered. It is a nice little get away 8 weekends a year. There really is nothing like a live sporting event. Now, would I much rather have that money go into finishing my basement and having football Sunday parties. Sure, but I actually do enjoy going to the games.

I'll also post the annual note I get from Coach nimRod (that one is for you Mooch) that comes with my invoice. It is again pretty fun, so stay tuned.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 59)

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:04 pm

NimRod, I like it.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby dream_017 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:54 am

Here is the letter I received with my Season Ticket invoice:

Coach NimRod wrote:Dear Valued Season Ticket Owner:

As we begin preparation for free agency and the 2008 draft, I want to first thank you for your incredible support during my first two seasons as head coach of the Lions.

There is no question in my mind that you played a big role in our five home wins during the 2007 season. As you know, four of those victories were decided in the final minutes of the game and our home field advantage was critical in each of those wins.

And your support is going to be just as important during the 2008 season.

While I won't be satisfied until we bring our fans a championship, I can honestly say that I am very encouraged with the postitive improvement our team made last season.

As I told the media recently, there is a perception regarding our football team and there is a reality regarding our football team. I firmly believe the positive reality is that we are much closer to the playoffs than some would suggest. It isn't just the fact that we won four more games in 2007 than the year before. It's a combination of factors that cause me to feel very postive about our football team.

We competed well against the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants and the team with the best record in the NFC, the Dallas Cowboys. While I don't believe in moral victories, the fact remains we were very close to winning both of those games.

I love the character of our football team. The number of close games we won last season speaks to the character of our players. Even though we hit a rough stretch late in the year, our team never quit. We kept working hard and continued to display the type of football character that a team must have in order to be successful in this league.

I believe the changes we have made in our coaching staff will positively compliment our talent, and with some key free agent additions and another successful draft, there is no reason why we should not be in a position to compete for a playoff berth in 2008.

I want to also take this opportunity to reiterate how beneficial it was to have you at training camp last year. It was an honor to meet many of you following practice and your energy positively impacted our players as they prepared for the season. We are working on expanding those opportunities to attend camp again this season.

Your support, which is vital to our success, is much appreciated, especially at Ford Field where you have helped establish one of the best home field advantages in the NFL.

Thanks again and I hope to see you at training camp this summer and at Ford Field this season.

Sincerely,
Rod Marinelli
Head Coach
Detroit Lions

Comments :-*
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:26 am

I hate this clown. The audacity of this two-faced retard. Tell us how close we were to beating the elite teams in the league, but he doesn't believe in moral victories. Then why bring it up Rodly? To show us how close we are? The problem is that he really thinks everyone that doesn't see things like he does doesn't know about football. Arogant Millenhole. Did he try and explain how close we were in losing tight games to the elite teams that didn't play like Millens? You know, that tight loss to the Iggles, Skins, Vikes, and Bolts? Oh wait, he doesn't believe in moral losses.

At least we never quit!!! Zona 31-21, NYG 16-10 (Huge victory that led to building the charactor NimRod is looking for), GB 37-26, Minn 42-10 (Now that's what I call rally around a tight loss to the Giants!), Dallas 28-27 (NimRod fails to mention that thsi encouraging close loss featured his D quitting on the last drive, allowing Witten to almost enter the HOF in one game.) This character building/revealing game was followed by that instant classic SD epic 52-14. A game that wasn't as close as the score. A 25-20 win over a depleated KC team followed by a earnest effort to finish at .500 by losing to GB 34-13. Marinelli is a total boob. His team quit on him plenty last year. But I suppose that was just bad seeds Rogers, Edwards, Bryant, Bailey, Lehman. Wait, weren't these all guys, most notably Big Blubber and Rusher Edwards, that you were raving about at the start of last season? Nice effing job getting the most out of these guys, NimRod.

From where I sit it sure looks like it wasn't a matter of your excellent coaching helping make TB players good, but that they made you look like less incompetent.

And you made some coaching changes that positively compliment your talent. Would that be firing Martz, who compliments talent that can score, for Colletto who looks to favors a 3 yards and a cloud of punts approach, and has been an abysmal failure at any time he has done more than be an O-line coach?
Guess that kind of makes him just like you, NimRod. A Line coach who is a failure at anything more than that. You don't have enough ex-Bucs looking for a final paycheck, nor enough family members to save your career. You do have the most detatched owner and incompetent GM in the history of organized sports going for you. But I guess that is how you got the job in the first place.
Ship of fools.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby dream_017 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:43 pm

Couldn't agree more Mooch.

Here are some of the things that I found funny when I pulled it out of the envelope:

Coach NimRod wrote:As I told the media recently, there is a perception regarding our football team and there is a reality regarding our football team. I firmly believe the positive reality is that we are much closer to the playoffs than some would suggest. It isn't just the fact that we won four more games in 2007 than the year before. It's a combination of factors that cause me to feel very postive about our football team.

The reality is that the Lions are 1 of the few laughing stocks of a league built on parity. In the 42 years of Super Bowls, only 6 teams have never played in one and 2 of those have only been around in the last 10 years. So, basically you are 1 of 4 teams.
The reality is that you can talk about being a good team all you want, but until you actually make the playoffs....and God forbid win a playoff game, you will not be a good team.

Coach NimRod wrote:We competed well against the Super Bowl Champion New York Giants and the team with the best record in the NFC, the Dallas Cowboys. While I don't believe in moral victories, the fact remains we were very close to winning both of those games.

Sure, we were close to winning...because we were winning late in the game but blew both of them. Mooch, I think you meant Witten make the HoF on 1 drive...not game ;-7

Coach NimRod wrote:...and another successful draft, there is no reason why we should not be in a position to compete for a playoff berth in 2008.

Another successful draft :-? Where is the first one :-? :-B O:-)

Coach NimRod wrote:...especially at Ford Field where you have helped establish one of the best home field advantages in the NFL.

14 teams had a worse home record, meaning we are average at home. I would say the 5 teams with 7-1 home records are the best, oh and the 8-0 Patriots.
dream_017
Cafe Google
Cafe Google

Postby moochman » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:07 am

I did mis the quote that backs my claim that NimRod is two-faced and full of crap.
As I told the media recently, there is a perception regarding our football team and there is a reality regarding our football team. I firmly believe the positive reality is that we are much closer to the playoffs than some would suggest.

Total contradiction. Perception is how something is viewed, the point NimRod first tries to make. Then he contradicts his arguement by saying that he prefers the positive reality. There is no positive or negative reality but only reality itself. Everything else is just perception of reality. So NimRod is saying the becuase the media is being negative it is just their perception, while becuase he is being positive that is the reality. Dude's an idiot.

This was followed by recent quotes on how the media's and fans perception, and I am paraphrasing, "negative is easy to sell....If you don't know much about football, you sell the negative". NImRod is so stupid that he doesn't realize that the media is limited becuase the cannot bite the hand that feeds them too hard so they actually go easy on the Allen Park Compost. And he assumes that fans are stupid too. In that way he fits the profile for this franchise. An owner and GM who think the fans are furniture, and a coach who thinks the fans are only supposed to be heard from when he commands. Like at home games when their positive cheering he has no doubt made a difference in 4 of their home wins.

It is tragically ironic that the Lions, NimRod and DoorMatt, think the Lions are getting competitve in a period of time where the NFC has never fielded so many terrible teams, and playing in a division that is year-to-year the worse in the league, and while at the same time compiling the worst 7 year record in modern era football. That is when you realize just how putrid the Lions have been, reflecting what they have done given the golden opportunity they have had. But I guess I am selling the negative, probably becuase I don't know much about football.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scrumtalecent » Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:55 pm

I suppose this is where we slightly disagree, moochman. I really find it hard to believe that the Coach has on these rose-colored glasses where he believe the future looks bright and everything is great. I think the letter is just a public relations item that he is obligated to write. I think he knows he has lemons and just tries to make lemonade the best he knows how. I think there's a 50/50 chance he looks down at this letter he wrote and thinks "What a load of crap. This team has a long road ahead of us." What is he supposed to write? Imagine yourself (with your same attitude) as the head coach of this dismal team and your asked to write a letter to the season ticket holders. I don't think you would point out all the slackers, tell your fans you have no chance at the playoffs and probably won't even be competitive. He hasn't been on the job that long and I still can't be sure that if we had a more proven coach in there and he failed just as miserably that we would be saying "Well, it's not the coaches fault. He made no dumb mistakes and did the best he could."

I still blame this on Millen and Ford and do not envy the poor saps they hire as coach. We all agree how bad Millen's drafts have been, so what is a guy supposed to do with this garbage? Heck, Marinelli would be almost a Hall of Fame coach if he would've taken this bunch of losers he mostly inherited and put them in the playoffs. It's just not going to happen as long as Millen and Ford are at the helm. You can beat up on Nimrod all you want, but he's going to make his share of mistakes, does not have much to work with and is merely trying to not concentrate on the negative when speaking with the media and fans.
Thank you soty!
scrumtalecent
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Postby moochman » Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:03 am

Well that's the difference between you and I, scrum, you buy the positive reality while I am sold by the negative truth. I just think NImRod is so full of himself and his attention to details that he is doomed to failure. Remember we just fired a coach in part because his system is too difficult to execute. Yet we keep the coach who's D system is apparently so hard to execute that he had to run out and hire any player he can associated with his system...er, correction. Make that Monte Kiffen's(sp) system.

I'm not saying don't believe. Just don't blindly believe. As NimRod would have you do.

moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Lions