Chargers' CB Drayton Florence to Lions??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Detroit Lions

Chargers' CB Drayton Florence to Lions???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Chargers' CB Drayton Florence to Lions???

Postby stomperrob » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:56 pm

LIONS OFFSEASON
San Diego CB Drayton Florence expects call from Detroit
Cornerback Keith Smith expected to re-sign with Lions
By NICHOLAS J. COTSONIKA • FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER • February 28, 2008

San Diego cornerback Drayton Florence becomes a free agent at midnight tonight, and he expects to hear from the Lions after the market opens.

“I’ve heard that they’re interested,” Florence said Thursday when reached by phone. “I know they need corners bad up there and that possibly may be a good fit for me.

“This free agency thing is a real exciting time, and I’m just ready for it to begin. It’s like being a kid right before Christmas. It’s a fun time. I had a good time out in San Diego, five years. I started off my career out there, played pretty well, and it’s time to move on.”

The Lions’ cornerback situation is in flux, with Travis Fisher about to become a free agent and Fernando Bryant released. Keith Smith could have become a free agent, but will return on a two-year deal.

“Keith is going to re-sign with Detroit,” Smith’s agent, Mike McCartney, wrote in an e-mail Thursday.

The Lions are also expected to look at Brian Kelly, who bought out his contract with Tampa Bay. Kelly knows the Tampa Two system as well as coach Rod Marinelli, defensive coordinator Joe Barry and secondary coach Jimmy Lake, who coached for the Buccaneers.

Florence, 27, spent his first five NFL seasons with the Chargers. The 6-foot-, 195-pounder recorded 10 interceptions. He heard the Lions signed safety Dwight Smith to a two-year, $5-million contract Wednesday.

“Let him know I’m trying to come over there and help him out and lock it down in Detroit, man,” Florence said. “I’m trying to get that Super Bowl ring.”

Florence thinks he and Smith would work well together.

“He’s a great player,” Florence said. “He might play the nickel and I can stay at corner, or I can go play the nickel while he’s at safety. He’s played nickel. I play nickel as well as playing corner. Nowadays it’s hard to find guys that can play in that slot. Everybody’s looking for that combination.”

Florence thinks the Lions have a lot of potential.

“Oh, yeah,” Florence said. “They got a great offense, too. That’s what’s exciting about Detroit. When all their receivers are healthy, man, it’s hard to cover all those guys.”

The Lions’ 51-14 loss Dec. 16 at San Diego didn’t faze Florence.

“We had good guys in the secondary,” Florence said. “That’s what helped us out. As you see in the Super Bowl, that’s going to be the key to every team. If you’ve got a good secondary that can match up with the receivers that they’re putting on the field, you’re going to have a pretty good chance of winning the game, especially when you’ve got a good defensive line.”
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chargers' CB Drayton Florence to Lions???

Postby moochman » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:19 pm

The Lions’ 51-14 loss Dec. 16 at San Diego didn’t faze Florence. “We had good guys in the secondary,” Florence said. “That’s what helped us out....

Way to win over potential new teammates. I'm not worried about the shellacking we gave them becuase we had good players and they didn't.

It’s like being a kid right before Christmas...“Let him know (Dwight Smith) I’m trying to come over there and help him out and lock it down in Detroit, man,” Florence said. “I’m trying to get that Super Bowl ring.”

It is just like Christmas Eve. All dreamt of gifts are to be received. Be careful opening up your packages, Florence, the only ring you are going to receive is the call you get in week 17 to confirm your tee time next Sunday.

Seriously, I do like that the Lions are trying to sign all these CBs. After lying about not needing strong CBs in the Tampex Two, Coach Knucklehead and the idiot (need I say Millen?) are at least trying to shore up the secondary. This could mean that we are not looking to draft a CB in the draft.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chargers' CB Drayton Florence to Lions???

Postby Dan Lambskin » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:49 am

moochman wrote:
The Lions’ 51-14 loss Dec. 16 at San Diego didn’t faze Florence. “We had good guys in the secondary,” Florence said. “That’s what helped us out....

Way to win over potential new teammates. I'm not worried about the shellacking we gave them becuase we had good players and they didn't.

It’s like being a kid right before Christmas...“Let him know (Dwight Smith) I’m trying to come over there and help him out and lock it down in Detroit, man,” Florence said. “I’m trying to get that Super Bowl ring.”

It is just like Christmas Eve. All dreamt of gifts are to be received. Be careful opening up your packages, Florence, the only ring you are going to receive is the call you get in week 17 to confirm your tee time next Sunday.

Seriously, I do like that the Lions are trying to sign all these CBs. After lying about not needing strong CBs in the Tampex Two, Coach Knucklehead and the idiot (need I say Millen?) are at least trying to shore up the secondary. This could mean that we are not looking to draft a CB in the draft.

awesome ;-D
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Detroit Lions