Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:02 pm

RB Matt Forte
15
71%
RB Kevin Smith
2
10%
RB Tashard Choice
1
5%
RB Ray Rice
0
No votes
QB Matt Ryan
0
No votes
WR Limas Sweed
3
14%
WR DeSean Jackson
0
No votes
other (please discuss)
0
No votes
 
Total votes : 21

Re: Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:49 am

The Lung wrote:
steelerfan513 wrote:I voted Forte, although at this point, it's a crapshoot without knowing where players are going to go. I sincerely doubt that 6 of the top 7 players taken will be running backs, and it will all depend on where the QBs and WRs go.


I think it's important to set these baseline rankings based on talent alone before the NFL Draft - dynasty/keeper leagues should be based primarily on talent and less about immediate opportunity. Michael Bush was a good late first round pick last year even if the opportunity wasn't there. It was pretty much assumed he would languish behind Jordan, Fargas, and Rhodes for years (and likely still may)

Let's say RaShard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart get taken by Baltimore or Cincinnati. (highly unlikely, I know. But for the sake of argument...) They would likely be deep in the pecking order behind Rudi Johnson and Kenny Watson in Cinci, and Willis McGahee and Musa Smith in Baltimore, for possibly years. Now let's say a RB like Felix Jones, Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson gets drafted by the Houston Texans or Chicago Bears where they would probably start almost immediately (like Marshawn Lynch in Buffalo last year). I would still go with the former in dynasty league drafts because I firmly believe Mendenhall and Stewart are that much more talented than the latter backs.

In one year re-draft leagues it's a different story. Opportunity can play a bigger role, as I even witnessed Marshawn Lynch drafted ahead of ADP in a few re-draft leagues. While hindsight now is 20/20, considering their situations at the start of the season last year with ADP's injury history and Chester Taylor entrenched as the starter, taking Lynch first wasn't looked upon as a bad move.


I just think that at this point, people are going to rank nothing but running backs because they're the most valuable to fantasy football. Don't get me wrong, I think it's good to rank talent as well, but these rankings aren't necessarily doing that; they're ranking the running backs with the best wide receivers or quarterbacks thrown in every once in a while.

And I don't think the talent over situation argument is true in all situations. Case in point: Reggie Bush vs. Joseph Addai a couple years ago. Everyone said to pick Bush over Addai because of talent, and although Bush's lack of success so far is partially attributable to his style of play, Addai's success can be attributed to his situation as the Colts' running back. So if a running back goes to a much, much better situation than another arguable more talented back, I'd take the former.

Additionally, I think the talent over situation argument only applies to the top few picks. Michael Bush, for example, was a fourth round pick, but he went over second round picks like Kenny Irons and Lorenzo Booker because the Raiders had a shakey running back situation, and people assumed he would start within a year or two.
Image
Image
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor
Posts: 11906
Joined: 15 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby The Lung » Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:32 am

Michael Bush was a fourth round pick because of injury concerns. Talent-wise, when fully healthy I think he was/is head and tails above Booker and has a slight edge over Irons.
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Re: Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:10 am

The Lung wrote:Michael Bush was a fourth round pick because of injury concerns. Talent-wise, when fully healthy I think he was/is head and tails above Booker and has a slight edge over Irons.


agreed

Lung I think we can call Forte soon :-b
Image
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18976
Joined: 15 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: On an Island

Re: Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby The Lung » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:25 pm

Looks fairly obvious that Matt Forte is our #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008. ;-D
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Re: Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby Kilroy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:13 am

The Lung wrote:Let's say RaShard Mendenhall or Jonathan Stewart get taken by Baltimore or Cincinnati. (highly unlikely, I know. But for the sake of argument...) They would likely be deep in the pecking order behind Rudi Johnson and Kenny Watson in Cinci, and Willis McGahee and Musa Smith in Baltimore, for possibly years. Now let's say a RB like Felix Jones, Jamaal Charles or Chris Johnson gets drafted by the Houston Texans or Chicago Bears where they would probably start almost immediately (like Marshawn Lynch in Buffalo last year). I would still go with the former in dynasty league drafts because I firmly believe Mendenhall and Stewart are that much more talented than the latter backs.


Gonna have to disagree here. First, no chance in h**l the Ratbirds take a back that early, even if one falls to them (unless they're idgits). Too many other fish to fry. Second, if Cincy were to draft a back that high I dunno how much pecking he'd have to do to get past Rudi "The wheels fell off" Johnson and Kenny "One OK year does not a career make" Watson. I know what you were sayin'...just sayin' about what you was sayin'.

:-D

If you really think that Stewart or Mendenhall are that head-and-shoulders above the Johnsons and Fortes and Smiths of the draft that it's worth waiting 2-3 years while the former sits and the latter plays then that's certainly your prerogative, but I don't see so much of a difference between them that I'm gonna p**s away "now" in the hope that once given the chance Stewart (My #1 BTW) might do something given the chance in 2010.

Talent + Opportunity = Production. There are certainly cases where a player has a lot of one and little to none of the other, but none of the guys on this year's board impress me so much as to think they can produce without some kinda happy medium.

H**l what kinda '07 would ADP have had playing behind the Jets' line instead of the Vikings'?

Situation is always imprtant, especially when considering rooks.

That said, IMO this ain't the year to have a 1.01 Rookie Pick. Too many guys with too many ???. Last year at least you knew the Top 3 would be ADP, Lynch, and CJ2 in some order. This year you could be sitting at 1.06 and get the guy you had as 3rd best.
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby killiansjmd » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:09 am

I'll keep voting for Forte until he wins. I think he's a better RB prospect right now then Charles or Smith.
Image
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7929
Joined: 3 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS

Re: Who is the #8 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:38 am

killiansjmd wrote:I'll keep voting for Forte until he wins. I think he's a better RB prospect right now then Charles or Smith.


He already won ;-D
Image

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 7746
Joined: 11 May 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: The Big House

Previous

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 17:35 hours
(and 35 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact