If you wonder why our schools are so screwed up - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

If you wonder why our schools are so screwed up

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: If you wonder why our schools are so screwed up

Postby m16a » Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:37 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:
I do have one question, significant digits aside. Is not the standard number of digits taught in the basic textbooks 3.14?

All my books always said to use it as 3.14 in work, but would give it usually has 3.14159 and add a few more to show us that it was just the shortened version of a very VERY LOOOOONG and precise number. I'm pretty sure calculators(a standard scientific and graphing one at least) will do it out to about 7-8 decimal places. So yes, as far as I know, the textbooks will say 3.14.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:00 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:
Dan Lambskin wrote:
houstonherdfan wrote:EVERYONE READ THE FOLLOWING. ALL OF IT NOT JUST PART OF IT

ALL OF YOU HAVE NOT GOTTEN THE POINT I WAS TRING TO MAKE. THAT IS:

When you teach the youth of our country to take the easy way out what do you get?

A bunch of adults that aren't worth a crap because they want everything easy. Work ethic goes to crap, parents don't raise their children, and just a general complete break down of basic respect for others.

Wait a minute we are already there. If I was single and had no family I would get the he--ll out of here before it gets any worse.

NOTE: BEFORE ANYONE THINKS THAT I AM SAYING THAT PI BEING ROUNDED IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE STATE OF OUR CULTURE I AM NOT. IT IS JUST ONE EXAMPLE OF HOW SCREWED UP OUR CULTURE IS.

you should lead by example then. you should have used "are not" here instead of the contraction aren't...why use the shortcut, the easy way out?

NOTE: yes i'm being extremely petty here (and using contarctions myself :-B ) but i dont see using 3 for Pi as any different than using "it's" instead if "it is"

Well, I could find you maybe 1000+ English textbooks that teach the use of contractions. If you can find me 1 Mathmatics textbook that teaches that it is OK to round pi and other constants, I'll apologize for my ranting on this subject.

just because it's accepted doesnt mean it's not a shortcut. are you only for shortcuts that you deem worthy?
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:20 pm

houstonherdfan wrote:My son was doing his math homework thursday evening. It was math and was working on some basic geometric shapes.

Area, volume and such. I looked at his paper when he was figuring the volume of a cylinder.

he had 2 x 3 x 1

I asked him what the 3 was repersenting. gues what I was suprised to hear. "It was pi" I told him that pi is 3.14. He told me that his teacher had told them to round pi to 3.

BTW my son is in 7th grade.

I called the teacher today to discuss this with her.

Here ware the reasons they round pi to 3

1. Its easier to multiply a 1 digit number rather than a 3 digit number.

2. The TAKS test (I am in TEXAS) is easier to figure the correct answer if you round pi, you don't have to make sure you round correctly your answer during the test.

3. Most of the parents are happier becuase its easier for them to help with homework.

And the #1 reason to round pi is

are you ready

are you sure

are you really sure

well her goes its a freakin duuuzzzzyy

"Well all the calculators have pi on them anyway."

I put this in quotes because that was her exact words

As a high school math teacher, this disgusts me...

PS - sorry for bumping a year old thread, it was linked to on the dark side.
bigh0rt
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to General Talk