Stupid kicker - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Stupid kicker

Moderator: Football Moderators

Stupid kicker

Postby Nfl Fan » Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:07 pm

Well, maybe not so stupid...
Josh Brown reportedly signs the biggest kicker contract ever. With the Rams. :-P

Rams all-time leading scorer Wilkins retires; Brown signed as replacement

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams replaced retiring kicker Jeff Wilkins almost immediately, signing Seattle Seahawks kicker Josh Brown to a five-year deal late Friday night.

Wilkins, the St. Louis Rams' career leading scorer and the best active long-range kicker in the NFL, announced his retirement Friday after 14 seasons. Shortly afterward, Brown was on the move.

Jeff Wilkins, K
St. Louis Rams

Career statistics
1,223 points*
265 FG*
80.8 FG pct.*
371 cons. PAT*

*Rams franchise leader
Brown's agent, Rob Roche, confirmed his client's agreement with St. Louis early Saturday in an e-mail to The Associated Press.

Brown, who spent the last five seasons with Seattle, was seventh in the league in scoring in 2007 with a career-high 127 points, including 28 of 34 field goals. In 2006, Brown kicked a pair of field goals to defeat the Rams. He was a top priority for the Seahawks to re-sign last month and Seattle was believed to have offered him $14 million to stay.

Apparently the Rams gave him more, reportedly including a $4 million signing bonus. That would be the league's largest for a kicker.

Wilkins' departure leaves the Rams with three players from their Super Bowl victory in 2000: offensive tackle Orlando Pace, wide receiver Torry Holt and defensive end Leonard Little.

Isaac Bruce, who caught a touchdown pass in that game, was released in a salary cap move on Thursday.

The 35-year-old Wilkins had 1,223 points and 265 field goals with the Rams, finding a home after playing one season for the Eagles and two for the 49ers. He also leads the franchise in field goal attempts (328) and a success rate of 80.8 percent.

"Throughout my 11 years with the Rams, everybody in the organization has been fantastic from top to bottom," Wilkins said. "But my retirement is the best for me, my family and the Rams."

Wilkins was so accurate, former coach Mike Martz nicknamed him "Money."

"Jeff has been one of the best kickers that I have ever seen," Rams coach Scott Linehan said. "We will miss him here, but we also wish him well in retirement."

From 49 yards or longer, Wilkins was 39-for-50 for his career and 38-for-49 with the Rams. Among active kickers with 20 or more attempts, his 78 percent success rate from 49 yards or longer is the best in the NFL and his 25 field goals most in league history.

Wilkins hit a franchise-record 57-yard field goal in 1998 against the Falcons, and was perfect on 17 field goals in 2000, tying Tony Zendejas' franchise record for field goal percentage in a season.

He retires having hit 371 consecutive extra-point kicks, a franchise record and tied for the best in NFL history with Jason Elam (1993-2002).

Wilkins went to the Pro Bowl in 2003 after leading the NFL in scoring with 163 points, going 39-for-42 on field goal attempts that season. He's the only kicker in NFL history to make a field goal as time expired in the first half, second half and to end an overtime.

Brown's departure leaves the Seahawks in somewhat of a scramble for a key scorer. They have used most of their available money under the 2008 salary cap on placing their franchise-tag designation on Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Trufant, signing free agent Mike Wahle to start at left guard, and re-signing right tackle Sean Locklear.

Denver's Elam is the most highly regarded kicker remaining on the free-agent market.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Stupid kicker

Postby TheRawDAWG » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:45 pm

Yeah. it sucks when you lose your best player....sucks even more when your best player was your kicker. ;-7
So they weren't the best...and may have ended the worst. SO WHAT!
TheRawDAWG
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:47 pm

TheRawDAWG wrote:Yeah. it sucks when you lose your best player....sucks even more when your best player was your kicker. ;-7

:-b :-b This made me laugh.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:22 pm

ouch...and to a division rival 8-o .

i always kinda thought of brown as a seattle type of guy. the fans loved him and he seemed to be happy there. maybe there was more to the story, or its all about the straight cash money homey.

maybe the hawks can give vandejerk a call...he needs a job :-b
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:45 pm

All I can say is...

$14.2 million for a bleeping kicker? 8-o
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby moochman » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:59 am

deluxe_247 wrote:ouch...and to a division rival 8-o .

i always kinda thought of brown as a seattle type of guy. the fans loved him and he seemed to be happy there. maybe there was more to the story, or its all about the straight cash money homey.

$4 mil in Josh's pocket makes Joshie likey St Louis just fine.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Nfl Fan » Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:43 pm

moochman wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:ouch...and to a division rival 8-o .

$4 mil in Josh's pocket makes Joshie likey St Louis just fine.

Problem for him now is that he won't get many opportunities for game-winning field goals. :-D
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

Postby Guru13 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:55 pm

Kicking in rainy windy Seattle v. Kicking in a nice dome in St. Louis...I'll take the dome...but seriously that's a lot of money, I'd almost rather them pay Vanderjagt a small amount of money and see if he can still kick.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Return to Football Talk