Berrian Signed Longterm - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Minnesota Vikings

Berrian Signed Longterm

Moderator: Football Moderators

Berrian Signed Longterm

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 6:55 pm

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7860874/Source:-Vikes-ink-Berrian-to-6-year-deal

Minnesota has acted swiftly to add a No. 1 receiver for young QB Tarvaris Jackson.

The Vikings have come to terms on a six-year deal with Bernard Berrian, sources have told FOXSports.com. The worth of the deal is not yet known.
Berrian was considered the No. 2 receiver on the open market behind Randy Moss. The Chicago Bears wanted to retain Berrian, who was the team's deep threat. But in the end, the deal Minnesota offered was too good to pass up.

With Berrian now gone, the Bears may look to Devin Hester to stretch the field in the passing game.

Best FA WR besides Randy Moss, and he doesn't really count. Apparently the deal is around 7 million per season, but nothing official has been released.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Berrian Signed Longterm

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:41 pm

Vikings fill receiver hole with Berrian

The Vikings signed Bernard Berrian to a six-year, $42 million contract, with a $16 million signing bonus. He'll get $23 million in the first three years.

Making it harder to sign Randy Moss. Berrian could be overmatched if expected to be a true "number one" receiver, but he adds production and talent to a woeful passing game. Tarvaris Jackson now has two burners in Berrian and Sidney Rice, with Bobby Wade still likely to be active underneath. Expect Berrian's numbers to take a slight hit in Minnesota, where Jackson is still a major question mark. Mar. 1 - 5:31 pm et
Source: FoxSports.com
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby bungle613 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:45 am

Not my first choice but I guess I didn't have one in this year's free agency and 7 mil is huge.

I guess it narrows down who we are going to draft

Safety - check
WR - check
DE - ??? (please don't sign Smith)

If nothing better comes of it at least the Bears should be interesting to watch with no one on offense. I can see Rex getting the ball, walking up to a defensive player and handing him the ball so they can get Hester back on to field a punt or kick.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby RiffRaff » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 pm

bungle613 wrote:DE - ??? (please don't sign Smith)

What day is today? What Smith are you speaking of?

bungle613 wrote:If nothing better comes of it at least the Bears should be interesting to watch with no one on offense. I can see Rex getting the ball, walking up to a defensive player and handing him the ball so they can get Hester back on to field a punt or kick.

I think Rex should punt instead, unless that was part of your shtick? :-?
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby mystykoekaki » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:35 pm

It's a good move, I always liked Berrian's ability to stretch the field, But I think he is overpaid.
mystykoekaki Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bungle613 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:05 am

RiffRaff wrote:
bungle613 wrote:DE - ??? (please don't sign Smith)

What day is today? What Smith are you speaking of?[quote]

Ooops, painting the house all weekend, missed that. Good news though, better the niners then us.

I would have liked to have seen us take a shot on Ekuban. Denver got him for 1.2 mil. Big queston mark with the achilles but $1.2 for the NFL is like $4 for you or I, pocket change.
bungle613
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:05 pm

I heard that the way the contract is structured, it's really a 3-year commitment. After that, he can be released for a more reasonable cap hit. I know this is a homer talking, but Williamson could really do wonders for the Vikings offense. We all remember the Broncos game. I seriously believe that going from Williamson to Berrian can win the Vikings 1-2 games in itself. With us not really losing anyone and Rice and T-Jax developing, I would say it's safe to project the Vikings as a 10-6 team, especially if we land Odom. The only problem is that we'll be playing the 2nd best team in each division next year.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Return to Minnesota Vikings