Gibril Wilson to the Raiders - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gibril Wilson to the Raiders

Moderator: Football Moderators

Gibril Wilson to the Raiders

Postby deluxe_247 » Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:03 pm

Adam Schefter wrote:Raiders land former Giant safety Wilson
Oakland continued the spending frenzy it started before free agency.

The Raiders reached an agreement with former New York Giants free-agent safety Gibril Wilson on a six-year contract worth $39 million, including $16 million guaranteed. The Giants had a rough Friday. They lost Wilson, and linebackers Kawika Mitchell and Reggie Torbor.

i know this happened yesterday...but i was kind of surprised it isnt being talked about here...this move is huge for both teams.

the giants are offcially in trouble in their secondary now...and the raiders are shaping up to be a powerhouse defense.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Gibril Wilson to the Raiders

Postby TheDiplomats » Sat Mar 01, 2008 11:36 pm

Reason the Raiders can't be a powerhouse defense is because their offense can't stay on the field. They've definitely got a lot of talent on the defensive side though. If their offense could manage to not turn the ball over and score a TD or two each game, the Raiders could be a pleasant surprise next year.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Amazinz » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:39 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:the giants are offcially in trouble in their secondary now...and the raiders are shaping up to be a powerhouse defense.

Wilson is a fine player and I hate to see him go but he is exactly the type of player you replace in the draft rather than spend the big money on. He is not an elite safety and did not deserve the type of money he got.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby robnestrick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:45 pm

OAK does have an impressive defense, but without an offense they will be in deep trouble again this year. They really need a better offense to compete, but their defense is ready. The question will be, how does Russell progress, and how long will it take him and the offense to become relevant, and will the defense still be around?
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:22 pm

Amazinz wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:the giants are offcially in trouble in their secondary now...and the raiders are shaping up to be a powerhouse defense.

Wilson is a fine player and I hate to see him go but he is exactly the type of player you replace in the draft rather than spend the big money on. He is not an elite safety and did not deserve the type of money he got.

That was my thoughts as well. The Giants did the same thing last year. They offer their players what they think they're worth and if they want more...they let them walk (a la NE). Turned out pretty well last year so I'm pretty confident that the Giants will be OK. The Jets on the other hand.... :-o

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:56 pm

i must be higher on gibril than most i guess. i think he is a playmaker, and am not as confident he can be so easily replaced. i can understand the logic of letting him go due to money though....just kind of surprised to see giants fans be ok with losing him.

as far as the raiders are concerned..yeah...the offense is suspect, but if they get mcfadden...they at least have some potential with russel and him running the show. if there is anyone who believes that championships can be won with a crappy offense and stellar defense, its me (not saying i think the raiders will do that well..but they are on the right track for once IMO). :-b
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:09 am

I'm with you, Deluxe. I think this is a reasonably big deal for the Jints. I see Wilson as kind of the Bob Sanders type for the Giants D. Losing this guy is a blow because I don't think he's easily replaced. He's not Bob Sanders and he's not irreplacable, but he's a pretty important cog in their machine. Now that he's gone, the Giants are going to be a little worse.

As for the Raiders, maybe they're trying to be the 2000 Ravens? I don't get having such a wild imbalance towards the defensive side of the ball. This helps them, but they need to score some points to win games.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:10 am

C'mon, dude: "a Bob Sanders type". :-)
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:07 pm

Amazinz wrote:

I'm fine with your analysis that he's not an elite safety, but it's unreasonable to expect rookies to come in and replace your top guys all the time and make a seamless transition in year one, especially in this year's weak safety class, and I don't know of anyone that's on the roster that would be a suitable replacement. The bust rate for first round picks is pretty high, and even the guys that turn out ok sometimes take 2-3 years or more to get there.

All the credit goes to the Giants for winning the Superbowl against some tall odds, but without Wilson, that secondary is middle-of-the-road at best. Maybe the pass rush can make up for it, but I would be worried if I were a Giants' fan. If the goal is to defend the title they just won, they just lost an important piece of that puzzle, and I don't get why you are acting like it's not a big deal.

I can't argue with the money part of it. Oakland overpayed for him. He's not elite, but he got elite money. I bet he would have taken less to stay in New York, though. You kinda have to wonder how much less he would have accepted.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:16 pm

Amazinz wrote:C'mon, dude: "a Bob Sanders type". :-)

I figured someone would check that. Emphasis on "type," and in the context of "to his team." :-b

It's by no means a 1:1 analogy, but it gets the point across.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk