Gibril Wilson to the Raiders - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Gibril Wilson to the Raiders

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Gibril Wilson to the Raiders

Postby Amazinz » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:27 pm

onnestabe wrote:I'm fine with your analysis that he's not an elite safety, but it's unreasonable to expect rookies to come in and replace your top guys all the time and make a seamless transition in year one, especially in this year's weak safety class, and I don't know of anyone that's on the roster that would be a suitable replacement. The bust rate for first round picks is pretty high, and even the guys that turn out ok sometimes take 2-3 years or more to get there.

Maybe he takes less to stay in New York. I don't really know but I'm under the impression that was not the case. He is from California and playing for one of the West Coast teams was reported by one of the Giants beat reporters to be his preference.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the expectations of rookies. This is the very nature of the current NFL. In order to be successful you have to draft impact players year in and year out and you have to be willing to let a player walk when the market overprices them.

The Giants have Michael Johnson and before you laugh at me consider how Reese helped Ross and Webster along by signing the old but savvy Madison. Johnson has shown flashes in limited PT. I think that Knight, Johnson, Butler plus draftee can play well enough within the Giants defensive scheme.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Gibril Wilson to the Raiders

Postby onnestabe » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:30 pm

Amazinz wrote:
onnestabe wrote:I'm fine with your analysis that he's not an elite safety, but it's unreasonable to expect rookies to come in and replace your top guys all the time and make a seamless transition in year one, especially in this year's weak safety class, and I don't know of anyone that's on the roster that would be a suitable replacement. The bust rate for first round picks is pretty high, and even the guys that turn out ok sometimes take 2-3 years or more to get there.

Maybe he takes less to stay in New York. I don't really know but I'm under the impression that was not the case. He is from California and playing for one of the West Coast teams was reported by one of the Giants beat reporters to be his preference.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on the expectations of rookies. This is the very nature of the current NFL. In order to be successful you have to draft impact players year in and year out and you have to be willing to let a player walk when the market overprices them.

The Giants have Michael Johnson and before you laugh at me consider how Reese helped Ross and Webster along by signing the old but savvy Madison. Johnson has shown flashes in limited PT. I think that Knight, Johnson, Butler plus draftee can play well enough within the Giants defensive scheme.

I think Knight was a good signing. I would welcome him back to the Saints at this point because I think he can still play at a fairly high level. As far as rookies go, I'm fine with building through the draft. I think that's the way you have to do it now because free agents (except for the guys that the Saints sign :-b ;-7 ) cost too much for what you get on the field. I don't think it's reasonable to expect that a rookie is going to step up in his first year and adequately replace a good-to-great player such as Wilson. It's entirely possible that the Giants secondary will be fine without Wilson, especially since they just signed a decent guy and veteran presence in Knight, but I think most would agree that he was the best player in that secondary by a pretty wide margin, and now he's gone. Odds are pretty high that the overall level of play is going to decrease rather than increase.

But anyway, I agree. We will disagree on what reasonable expectations are for rookie players, just as long as you admit that I am right and you are wrong. :-D :-b ;-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Football Talk