Turner to the Falcons - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Turner to the Falcons

Moderator: Football Moderators

Turner to the Falcons

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:50 pm

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3273710

The best available running back in the free-agent market has a new home.

Michael Turner, who has been the Chargers' insurance policy for LaDainian Tomlinson, agreed to a six-year, $34.5 million contract with the Falcons, with $15 million guaranteed, a source told ESPN.com's Michael Smith.

Turner gained 316 yards on 71 carries with one touchdown last season.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Turner to the Falcons

Postby eagles21 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:58 pm

I guess that really brings down Norwood's value. Does anyone think that Turner will start, or will they split carries?
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:01 pm

eagles21 wrote:I guess that really brings down Norwood's value. Does anyone think that Turner will start, or will they split carries?

I doubt they're shelling out that type of dough for Turner to carry the ball 12 times a game. I would guess he gets a large share of the work while Norwood remains in his change of pace role with 5-7 carries per contest. With the Falcons shifting their focus to a power run game, it makes sense to utilize Turner who is much better in that role than Norwood. Turner could be in line for 300 carries with good health.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:07 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
eagles21 wrote:I guess that really brings down Norwood's value. Does anyone think that Turner will start, or will they split carries?

I doubt they're shelling out that type of dough for Turner to carry the ball 12 times a game. I would guess he gets a large share of the work while Norwood remains in his change of pace role with 5-7 carries per contest. With the Falcons shifting their focus to a power run game, it makes sense to utilize Turner who is much better in that role than Norwood. Turner could be in line for 300 carries with good health.

Unfortunately (since I'm a Norwood Dynasty Owner) I agree with you. :,-(

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby biju » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:13 pm

This is a better fit than some of the other places I was hearing he might head to. Yeah, Norwood is there but I never really saw him as a 20+ carry back, which Turner can certainly do. It will be interesting to see exactly how the split works, but I think Turner will be getting no less than 16 carries when healthy, and more likely in the 22-24 range most of the time.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby steelerfan513 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:27 pm

Norwood's past performance combined with the fact that neither has carried the load as a starter leads me to believe that it'll be a split, probably with Turner getting more carries.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby LoveBoatCaptain » Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:36 pm

Don't be foolish. Turner is the man in Atlanta. Jerious Norwood will be his backup/change of pace/whatever you want to call it.
LoveBoatCaptain
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby deluxe_247 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:53 pm

well this probably means falcons go matt ryan...and mcfadden falls to the raiders in the draft.

i was really hoping norwood would become the guy in atlanta. ive always thought he was pretty talented. guess the coaching staff didnt neccessarily feel the same way.

turner wanted to be the man...and he will be "the man" singularly...with little help from the rest of the team :-b . not the most ideal place to start your career as a feature back. !+)
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TheDiplomats » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:56 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:

Norwood's past performance combined with the fact that neither has carried the load as a starter leads me to believe that it'll be a split, probably with Turner getting more carries.

Well both guys carried the load when they played in college. I'd imagine they will probably go with a 70/30 split with Turner getting the majority...but they've got to find ways to get Norwood the ball in the open field. He's got insane quickness and speed.
TheDiplomats
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mattb47 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:58 pm

I wont mind having Norwood in a dynasty league though because we've never seen if Turner can carry the load in the NFL for a full season without getting banged up and so Norwood could still get an opportunity to be the starter at some point. Turner could be a good starter, but he's still a big question mark...
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk