Randall Gay Signs with The Saints - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Randall Gay Signs with The Saints

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Randall Gay Signs with The Saints

Postby Jimboozie » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:15 pm

mattb47 wrote:Yea....their defense could be hurting next year significantly unless they make some pretty good moves before the start of the season.

Nah. They'll just replace those guys with Troy Brown. :-D
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby m16a » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:27 pm

Jimboozie wrote:
mattb47 wrote:Yea....their defense could be hurting next year significantly unless they make some pretty good moves before the start of the season.

Nah. They'll just replace those guys with Troy Brown. :-D
\

I assume they are going to use him to replace stallworth as well? :-b
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 38)

Postby onnestabe » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:39 pm

padrino990_200 wrote:
mikus wrote:LSU boy coming home. Glad to see it. I think he was a good bargain addition by the Saints, hopefully he can bring a high level of play to the defensive backfield.

bargain? are you speaking in opposites? im a nig NE fan and this guy is a nickle back at best. go back and watch the games, this guy gets burnt left and right, his stats just dont show it cause they play alot of zone. he gives up 10-15 yard recs like its his job. they took a #3 cb at best and shoved him into a #1 spot. this is why the saints go to the playoffs once every 30-40 years

maybe he will surprise me, he is still young. but he has never shown anything other than mediocracy in his years here in NE

Nowhere did anyone say they "shoved him into a #1 spot". They signed a decent player at a need position to a contract that is reasonable given the amount of cap room that everyone has after two years of large increases in the league-wide salary cap. He's going to compete for the #2 spot with Jason David, Usama Young, and maybe a guy that joins the team on April 26th, and he's going to earn an extra $1 million if he can get maintain a starting spot for most of the year. That sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially when you consider that the main complaint with Jason David is that he got beat way too much. I don't mind getting a guy in there that will give up a short pass to avoid getting beat deep. At least then you force the other team to work the ball down the field.

The market for these top-talent guys is based more on available cap space and league-wide need at the position than how well they can play. When the salary cap jumps by as much as it has in the past two years, everyone is going to have a lot of money to throw around, so cap dollars today get you less than they did in the past, and they also get you less than they will in the future, when the yearly cap increases become smaller. When that is the case, it makes more sense to invest in proven commodities, such as players you already have on your team, rather than sign a top guy to a big contract that has the potential to balloon out of control in the future, when you may not have the cap space to keep him. The Saints are signing guys that they think can fill a role at a reasonable price, and locking up other guys that have played well for them recently, so they can build a team that can compete over the long haul, rather than try to grab headlines by making a splash in free agency. They don't hand out any trophies for spending the most money, so why should the Saints feel compelled to do so?

PS. What in the world is mediocracy? It sounds like some kind of government run by new anchors...
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby padrino990_200 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:42 pm

onnestabe wrote:
padrino990_200 wrote:
mikus wrote:LSU boy coming home. Glad to see it. I think he was a good bargain addition by the Saints, hopefully he can bring a high level of play to the defensive backfield.

bargain? are you speaking in opposites? im a nig NE fan and this guy is a nickle back at best. go back and watch the games, this guy gets burnt left and right, his stats just dont show it cause they play alot of zone. he gives up 10-15 yard recs like its his job. they took a #3 cb at best and shoved him into a #1 spot. this is why the saints go to the playoffs once every 30-40 years

maybe he will surprise me, he is still young. but he has never shown anything other than mediocracy in his years here in NE

Nowhere did anyone say they "shoved him into a #1 spot". They signed a decent player at a need position to a contract that is reasonable given the amount of cap room that everyone has after two years of large increases in the league-wide salary cap. He's going to compete for the #2 spot with Jason David, Usama Young, and maybe a guy that joins the team on April 26th, and he's going to earn an extra $1 million if he can get maintain a starting spot for most of the year. That sounds pretty reasonable to me, especially when you consider that the main complaint with Jason David is that he got beat way too much. I don't mind getting a guy in there that will give up a short pass to avoid getting beat deep. At least then you force the other team to work the ball down the field.

The market for these top-talent guys is based more on available cap space and league-wide need at the position than how well they can play. When the salary cap jumps by as much as it has in the past two years, everyone is going to have a lot of money to throw around, so cap dollars today get you less than they did in the past, and they also get you less than they will in the future, when the yearly cap increases become smaller. When that is the case, it makes more sense to invest in proven commodities, such as players you already have on your team, rather than sign a top guy to a big contract that has the potential to balloon out of control in the future, when you may not have the cap space to keep him. The Saints are signing guys that they think can fill a role at a reasonable price, and locking up other guys that have played well for them recently, so they can build a team that can compete over the long haul, rather than try to grab headlines by making a splash in free agency. They don't hand out any trophies for spending the most money, so why should the Saints feel compelled to do so?

PS. What in the world is mediocracy? It sounds like some kind of government run by new anchors...

im just saying that im glad the patriots didnt spend that much. guys like him are a dime a dozen in the nfl.

and get overyourself correcting peoples grammar. in fact it is a word, look it up on dictionary.com. and before you post things calling other people out i suggest you reread your posts. like your last sentence for example. i guess new anchors would rather run a country then be put on a boat huh?
padrino990_200
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby mikus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:59 pm

padrino990_200 wrote:im just saying that im glad the patriots didnt spend that much. guys like him are a dime a dozen in the nfl.

But guys like him are not a dime a dozen on the Saints' roster, which is why it was a good move by the Saints to add him as part of the plan to solidify the pass defense.
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:30 pm

mikus wrote:
padrino990_200 wrote:im just saying that im glad the patriots didnt spend that much. guys like him are a dime a dozen in the nfl.

But guys like him are not a dime a dozen on the Saints' roster, which is why it was a good move by the Saints to add him as part of the plan to solidify the pass defense.

Maybe, although he was quite inconsistent and at points, a liability on defense. That being said, he did have times when he showed some good potential, so if he can start gaining some consistency then he could pan out to be a good pick up.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby padrino990_200 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:39 pm

exactly. hes a good pickup. trust me i wished the pats resigned him because he has shown flashes and he knows the system. but you cannot call him a bargain. hes not worth almost 20 mil. i went to 6 games this past year, and a number of times i would look at my buddies and be like, hey why isnt gay on the field. he always seemed to be on the sidelines and then he would come back. hes a middle of the road player, a player i would have liked to see back. but maybe at half the price he got.

and in no way am i against gay. i mean he would have to be a moron not to take that deal, good for him. the same goes for samuel. i wish the pats would have signed him, but at their price. the pats will be just fine without them both.

and the rumor ive heard is that ty law is house shopping in foxboro
padrino990_200
Head Coach
Head Coach

Previous

Return to Football Talk