Rumor: Cards Trading Fitz To Philly? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rumor: Cards Trading Fitz To Philly?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Rumor: Cards Trading Fitz To Philly?

Postby deluxe_247 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:19 am

mattb47 wrote:
And the great organization that the Arizona Cardinals are always makes great decisions that make alot of sense....hence their winning tradition. :-b

so true :-b :-B
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:46 am

Here's the reason:

article wrote:Negotiations to restructure receiver Larry Fitzgerald's contract continue. The Cardinals are desperate to get a new deal done, even though they insist they can fit Fitzgerald's $14.6 million salary in 2008 under the cap.

That would have serious implications over the rest of the roster. The club would be hard pressed to sign any outside free agents, much less retain their own, including outside linebacker Calvin Pace.

The team reportedly is offering a six-year deal with guarantees between $25 million and $30 million. Larry Fitzgerald's agent, Eugene Parker, prefers a four-year deal. And the salary in that fourth-year is so high it would drive the Cardinals back to the bargaining table after three seasons.

Team officials aren't going to do that. The two sides apparently are discussing a five-year deal now, but no agreement is imminent.

Fitzgerald has a considerable amount of leverage in negotiations since he's due $32 million over the next two years: $14.6 this year and $17.4 in 2009. It's going to take a ton of guaranteed money to get him to agree to a new contract.

The Cardinals are appealing to his professed desire to stay in Arizona and turn the organization around. To do that, they have told the 24-year-old receiver that he should become a team leader and help the organization out by accepting a restructured deal.

One thing is for sure: Fitzgerald will never get the $17.4 million in 2009. The team is willing to pay him this year, but it will trade or cut him before paying his present 2009 salary.

Nice contract AZ. :-b

http://wakeforest.scout.com/a.z?s=192&p=2&c=733578

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Munboy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:38 am

deluxe_247 wrote:come to think of it why would they trade fitz at all? :-S

there's about 17 million reasons for trying to unload him.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:48 am

bungle613 wrote:Philly - So, whatcha think about trading Fitz?

Zona - Sure, no issues, we owe the dude $15 mil this year.

Philly - Well, ummm, whadya want for him

Zona - Well, Lito to start, maybe your 1st and 3rd this year and oh, almost forgot, your 1st next year too, that cool?

Philly - click

Zona - Hello? Hello? bad connection

haha, pretty close. I heard they wanted a 1st, 3rd, Lito, and a WR
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby m16a » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:12 am

eaglesfan wrote:
bungle613 wrote:Philly - So, whatcha think about trading Fitz?

Zona - Sure, no issues, we owe the dude $15 mil this year.

Philly - Well, ummm, whadya want for him

Zona - Well, Lito to start, maybe your 1st and 3rd this year and oh, almost forgot, your 1st next year too, that cool?

Philly - click

Zona - Hello? Hello? bad connection

haha, pretty close. I heard they wanted a 1st, 3rd, Lito, and a WR

:-b :-b (to bungles thing)

That is a lot, but maaaybe I could see like 1st, Lito and someone like Lewis or Baskett. But from what ARI wants, and probably deserves with a Fitz caliber receiver its gonna be a high price. But still, even the thought of the possibility of Fitz in Eagles green is :-L
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby mikus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:10 pm

RotoWorld wrote:Larry Fitzgerald says he and the Cardinals are "making progress" in long-term contract discussions.

Not until after he cost them Alan Faneca, of course. "I’m playing for the Cardinals so long as I possibly can," Fitzgerald said. "This is my home. I love the organization. I definitely hope things can get worked out."
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby eaglesrule » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:43 pm

yea, this is a long-standing rumor in philly circles.

Thing is, I don't want to sound arrogant, because its not my intent. But why should Fitz redo his deal? If one is going to be of the "honor your contract" persuasion one way, you need to be that way the other way. It's pretty obnoxious of the Cards actually, just assuming someone would want to do it ... (clearly the mindset when they did it) because you need those other things. They aren't really near being a contender. But his contract is hamstringing them.

Personally, Lito, a first and a third is overpaying. Fitz is awesome, but NFL trades aren't always about the talent. However, I think this is one instance the Eagles should do it. It is a double-whammy, as you still have to redo his deal, so you are paying, and paying with picks and talent. But the guy is awesome and young. So you take one (or two) last shots with mcnabb, then if you have to go to kolb, he should be developed in time for fitz to still be in his prime. It is a natural idea. I know that you can't make a habit of overpaying. But, sometimes in Chess sacrificing a queen is in fact necessary and the wisest move. This is one of those times.

Incidentally, Eskin (WIP) is saying that Reid did in fact talk to Randy Moss, so they know what is needed, the real question is, do they just go all in here? I admire their foresight in roster management and the fact that every year starting in 2000, I have been able to look forward to an Eagles season with a good measure of optimism. But its time to take the next step. The defense could be really awesome, westbrook is in his prime, and donovan is at a crossroads. Time to hit it, or quit it.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesfan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:34 pm

The Eagles, from what it seems so far will not rest until they have a number 1 WR whether its Fitz, Moss, or Roy Williams. I honestly believe that come opening day we will have a new number 1 WR in Philly. I think they'll come up in there offer to Arizona....I just don't think Arizona wants to move him.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby robnestrick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Supposedly, if rumors are to be believed, the Eagles were not willing to move Lito and a first for Fitz. I can understand their rational as Fitz will tie up a lot of their salary for years to come. I would assume that ARI will not move Fitz because they want the moon based on his talent, but aren't thinking about how this process is stalmating them currently.

The Eagles will settle on getting Roy Williams, Walker, or Hackett, and probably looking at them in that order as well. Moss is off the market per the reports, so now they will focus on a final offer for Fitz, and if not, move onto Roy Williams or some other WR on the market via free agency or trade...

This is purely speculative at this moment but DET said that a second rounder could net someone Roy Williams because he has stated that he'll likely sign elsewhere after the season. Might as well get something for the disgruntled WR than nothing and Lito Sheppard paired with Bodden would the start of a nice defense for DET (and they have the depth at WR). Not sure where I've read this, but I know that DET was contacted a few weeks ago, but obviously PHI has been working hard at landing Moss, and now that it has fallen through, the next WR in the pecking order will be gone after...
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:48 am

i heard it was lito, a first and a third. personally, I'd do it. the eagles have more picks than will likely make the team owing to roster spots. That being said, Arizona isn't really good when it comes to things like this, and need to realize that is a fair offer considering the talent they already do have, and their predicament.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk