Rumor: Cards Trading Fitz To Philly? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Rumor: Cards Trading Fitz To Philly?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Rumor: Cards Trading Fitz To Philly?

Postby eaglesfan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:51 am

eaglesrule wrote:i heard it was lito, a first and a third. personally, I'd do it. the eagles have more picks than will likely make the team owing to roster spots. That being said, Arizona isn't really good when it comes to things like this, and need to realize that is a fair offer considering the talent they already do have, and their predicament.

Don't we have like 49 or 52 spots locked up? We definately are going to move some of those picks.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby eaglesfan » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:10 am

Lito Sheppard-DB-Eagles Mar. 4 - 9:04 am et

The Eagles "remain locked in trade talks" involving CB Lito Sheppard, according to the Philadelphia Daily News.

The Birds have reportedly fielded several offers already, involving both draft picks and players. A league source told the Daily News to "forget the idea" of Sheppard going to the Cardinals in exchange for Larry Fitzgerald.
Source: Philadelphia Daily News
Related: Cardinals

G Cobb, who all of a sudden became thee source for Eagles news said The Eagles offered a 2nd and Lito, and The Cards wanted a 1st.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:11 pm

eaglesfan wrote:
eaglesrule wrote:i heard it was lito, a first and a third. personally, I'd do it. the eagles have more picks than will likely make the team owing to roster spots. That being said, Arizona isn't really good when it comes to things like this, and need to realize that is a fair offer considering the talent they already do have, and their predicament.

Don't we have like 49 or 52 spots locked up? We definately are going to move some of those picks.

52. That's what I don't get in this instance. You aren't going to use all of them, and Fitzgerald would be better than anything they would get at that spot anyway. It is a "double whammy" in that its resources and cash, but still. if you were going to be like that, just use cash and blow the pats offer for moss away.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby totalair32 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:55 pm

bungle613 wrote:Philly - So, whatcha think about trading Fitz?

Zona - Sure, no issues, we owe the dude $15 mil this year.

Philly - Well, ummm, whadya want for him

Zona - Well, Lito to start, maybe your 1st and 3rd this year and oh, almost forgot, your 1st next year too, that cool?

Philly - click

Zona - Hello? Hello? bad connection

Haha too true. Guy has a 15 mill cap number and they want the world. Can't have both.
totalair32
Head Coach
Head Coach

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby My team is injured » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 pm

the way I see it, neither the eagles nor the cards have that much leverage here in bargaining...

the eagles could keep lito and make him the 2nd CB and move sheldon to S (while switching to the nickel corner in nickel and dime packages with Mikell stepping in at S), but that would require Sheldon being alright with switching positions, the Eagles feeling he is an upgrade over Mikell at safety, and Lito being content with getting paid a lot less than his counterpart in Samuel... they could also consequently trade Lito to another team for draft picks/players/or a combination of the two but Zona naturally knows Fitz would be their #1 target for moving Lito

on the other hand, as was stated earlier in this post, the Cards owe $32 mil to Lito over the next 2 years... it just seems like it will be difficult to come up with a contract extension for Fitz that is appealing to him that isn't massive and likely still cap-limiting to some degree for the Cards... if Fitz simply plays out the next 2 years without restructuring, he'd likely be looking at a deal for at least $25 mil guaranteed and that's after getting the $32 mil from the Cards for the next 2 years...

let's say the Cards decide to just keep Fitz this year, try to contend, and then make a decision next offseason... they will then have to extend him or make a trade within a few weeks after the season ending next season or they will enter next year's FA with the same difficulties in getting free agents interested in AZ and naturally signing them (ie. like what happened with guys like Faneca and Pace this year)... if they try to trade him, it will also be contingent upon Fitz restructuring with a new team and Fitz could simply negate any proposed contract extension and hence, the trade, like Robertson did for the Jets recently...

it really makes sense IMO for this deal to go down unless Zona is somehow able to negotiate a contract extension with Fitz in the next couple weeks that they feel they can manage under the expected cap raises and their expected team payroll... but of course, it making sense for both teams doesn't mean anything, and Zona could simply keep Fitz until next offseason upon which they'll have to go through this process again...

as for what I think it should take to get it done, I'd say Lito and a 1st, max... personally, I'd prefer from the Eagles perspective to max out at Lito and a 2nd and 4th for instance, or Lito and next year's 1st, but I think I'd probably agree to Lito and this year's 1st at the max if that would be required to get the deal done... if Zona wants anything more, let them sit and think about Fitz's contract situation...
All of my analysis is based on PPR
My team is injured
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Cafe Blackjack ChampionMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:37 pm

Cards, Fitzgerald continue talks
Kent Somers
The Arizona Republic
Mar. 3, 2008 08:57 PM

The Cardinals continued to work on multiple fronts in free agency Monday, losing one player, agreeing to terms with two others and continuing efforts to restructure receiver Larry Fitzgerald's contract.

Fitzgerald's name has surfaced in trade rumors, but his agent, Eugene Parker, said Monday that Cardinals officials have assured him Fitzgerald will be on the team this season.

"They have been pretty consistent," Parker said, "and at the same time, Larry has been pretty consistent that he wants to come back. There has been no inkling of trade talks, and we're not initiating any trade talks, nor do we want to."

Fitzgerald is due to make $14.6 million in salary this year and $17.4 million in 2009. The team would like to lower those numbers by negotiating a new deal, but Parker is believed to want a considerable amount of guaranteed money if he is to pass up the $32 million in salary Fitzgerald is scheduled to earn.

The large contracts given to receivers in free agency have not gone unnoticed by Parker.

"What would a Larry Fitzgerald get in the marketplace given what these other guys are getting, and given his age, level of accomplishment and character?" Parker said.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby eaglesrule » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:18 am

Of course agents and teams say that. While I think this will not go down, you always deny things until they are firm, otherwise you just pissed off the player.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby stomperrob » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:23 pm

eaglesrule wrote:Of course agents and teams say that. While I think this will not go down, you always deny things until they are firm, otherwise you just pissed off the player.

And ya don't think his agent knows that - I wouldn't go so far as to say they always deny things, each situation is unique and it depends on your working relationship with said player and/or agent. If Parker didn't think there was some kernel of truth in the team's statement he certainly wouldnt go out of his way to make a public pronouncement about it if only to have egg on his face later.
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby eaglesfan » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:34 pm

On G Cobb's website.
A source close to the situation, the same person that broke the Asante Samuel signing to OTR and GCobb.com, has confirmed that the Eagles will seek Roy Williams or Chad Johnson in a trade. The source told us to expect the Eagles to bring in a big name wide receiver this offseason. Asante Samuel was number one on the list and a big name receiver was a close number two. The Eagles are currently sitting tight awaiting to hear about the Larry Fitzgerald negotiations, but they will also seek Roy Williams or Chad Johnson if the Fitzgerald deal seems unlikely.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Azrael » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:22 pm

AZ should call Matt Millen. Detroit could always use another WR.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk