Jets get a Woody - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Jets get a Woody

Moderator: Football Moderators

Jets get a Woody

Postby moochman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:38 pm

The silly spending spree of the Jets continues as they reportedly signed ex-Lion OL Damion Woody to a 5 year $25 mil deal.
[url]Ethical considerations of complementary and alternative medical therapies in conventional medical settings[/url]

The Jets have spared no expense in improving their offensive line in the first week of free agency. Faneca signed a five-year, $40 million deal that included more than $21 million in guarantees, making him the league's highest paid offensive lineman. Now the Jets have given Woody $25.5 million over 5 years with $11 million guaranteed.

For the Jets sake I hope that Woody's time in Detroit was only a money grab becuase he malingered through his contract here, playing motivated football only once it was time to push for the next deal. If he can return to his old Pats form the Jets O-line is now formidable.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Jets get a Woody

Postby killiansjmd » Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:52 pm

I've read they put several clauses in his contract in regards to his weight which is what they did for Jenkins contract as well. To me though Woody is a center/guard. He only played RT the last 5 games of this past season.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby robnestrick » Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:53 pm

The JETS seem to be putting the clauses into a few contracts right now, namely the weight clause. I think the JETS are building themselves a great offensive line. It might take half the year to get them to gel together, but they will be a monster DEF. The question now is who will benefit from this, Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, or a rookie RB???
robnestrick
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby dgan » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:24 pm

The Jets are reminding me a bit of the 49ers of last offseason. Signing all these big contracts doesn't mean getting big time play from them. At least not big enough to bring you from pretender to contender.

Heck, the 49ers couldn't do it in the NFC West...I don't think the Jets are going to do it this way in their division. Give them credit for trying, but I think this is a bit of impatience and trying to stick it to New England. Not going to work I don't think...
dgan
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Postby moochman » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:48 am

dgan wrote:The Jets are reminding me a bit of the 49ers of last offseason. Signing all these big contracts doesn't mean getting big time play from them. At least not big enough to bring you from pretender to contender.

Heck, the 49ers couldn't do it in the NFC West...I don't think the Jets are going to do it this way in their division. Give them credit for trying, but I think this is a bit of impatience and trying to stick it to New England. Not going to work I don't think...

There does seem to be an element of panic in these moves. Mangini could sense he is on thin ground and is going to patch the team together in hopes they mesh quickly and can make a serious playoff push.
Should be interesting to see the opposing philosophy in the NY teams. The Giants had unbelievable success drafting and the Jets are going the FA route, a much bigger gamble IMO.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:35 am

moochman wrote:
dgan wrote:The Jets are reminding me a bit of the 49ers of last offseason. Signing all these big contracts doesn't mean getting big time play from them. At least not big enough to bring you from pretender to contender.

There does seem to be an element of panic in these moves. Mangini could sense he is on thin ground and is going to patch the team together in hopes they mesh quickly and can make a serious playoff push.
Should be interesting to see the opposing philosophy in the NY teams. The Giants had unbelievable success drafting and the Jets are going the FA route, a much bigger gamble IMO.

I agree 100% that these moves smack of panic. This is the 3rd FA the Jets have overpaid for.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby killiansjmd » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:42 pm

Kilroy1872 wrote:
moochman wrote:

I agree 100% that these moves smack of panic. This is the 3rd FA the Jets have overpaid for.

Yes it does smell like panic. Mangini and Tannabaum both know they can't have another sub par 500 season this year. They knew the O-line was horrible last year and made sure they addressed it this off season. Miami was right there on Pace so unlike the Woody contract they had some competition for Pace. Now some of the vets are unhappy because they haven't been paid. If they don't redo Coles' contract he will most likely start demanding a trade, IMO.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Return to Football Talk