Favre Retires - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Favre Retires

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Favre Retires

Postby onnestabe » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:37 pm

knapplc wrote:There are plenty of recent players doing commentary, though. Names aren't immediately coming to mind since I watch little pregame or halftime, but I'm thinking... Emmitt Smith? Doesn't he sit in a booth somewhere? I know there are others. Keyshawn for one. Doesn't Deion Sanders work with Ditka?

I get what you're saying about Favre being different, but it's not the money that would keep him out of the booth. It's his personal life and his down-home ways. At least that's the way I see it.

Oh, I'm not trying to say that recent players don't want to do commentary because they don't need the money, more that Favre is almost certainly is set for life, and the only reason he would want to do commentary is to stay famous. Keyshawn loves the limelight, as does Emmitt (see Dancing with the Stars for further proof), and Deion as well. I think Ditka may need some income. He probably didn't bring home a huge paycheck when he was playing or coaching. Not saying he is hurting for money, just that maybe he didn't have enough in savings at the end of the football career to play golf and fish like some of his former-coach brethren. At the same time, I sometimes get the impression that Ditka started doing commentary because he thinks all the other talking heads are idiots and couldn't sit at home and watch them any longer. :-b

As for the networks, Keyshawn, Emmitt, Ditka all work for (or recently worked for) ESPN, I believe. And I think Deion is still with CBS.

Sniper: I was just kidding about Vinny. Mainly saying he was a guy that retired a few times and kept coming back with new teams. ;-D
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:38 pm

Heard at school, suprising to me atleast. Thought he would want another kick at the can.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:04 pm

I remember being at a sports bar back in 1992 and seeing Favre play in his 1st game with GB. One of the best QB's to every play. I'll definitely miss seeing him play on Sundays. Thanks for the memories Brett! ;-D

And HUGE thanks for knocking Marino down to #2 all-time in almost every category. :-b ;-D

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Thank you Brett Favre.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby deluxe_247 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:29 pm

one of the greatest. thanks for the memories and good luck. ;-D
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 pm

Who? ;-7

But in all seriousness, his spirit and his play will be missed. One of the better players we've seen in a long while.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:28 pm

Man, that sucks. Football will not be the same without him. Awesome player and always fun to watch. The #4 at Lambeau is legendary.

Thanks Brett, and so long. ;-D ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:50 pm

As I'm sitting here watching Brett Favre officially announcing his retirement two things come to mind. First Brett Favre is truly a class act, players...no men like him are rare nowadays. And second any doubt I had as to whether Brett was really going to retire is now gone. You can see it in his eyes he's done. :,-(

Thanks for all the fond memories Brett. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby robotninja » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:48 pm

I was originally in the "I'll beleive it when i see it camp" but after watching the press conference I beleive it. What a class act, the first thing he does is apologize for being late when it was apparently flight problems. I will definitly miss Brett Favre and I think the rest of the league will as well.

Until then let the Aaron Rodgers era begin!

GO PACK!!!
10 Team Std Scoring No PPR
QB Stafford
RB Spiller
RB Morris
WR Nelson
WR Reggie Wayne
WR/TE Jimmy Graham
Flex Ridley
K and Def by committee
Min and Hartley

Bench
A Brown (pit)
Bernard Pierce
Roy Helu
Bryce Brown
Mark Ingram
Marlon Brown
robotninja
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 29)

Postby Nfl Fan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:02 pm

Sayonara, Mr. Favre. :,-( It's been great having you in our lives. I will miss your #4 gunslinging jersey gracing my television on Sunday mornings.
Yo, Met... thanks for the sig! GO DUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This NEVER gets old and neither does THIS!!
Nfl Fan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 2)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk