Aaron Rogers - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Aaron Rogers

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Aaron Rogers

Postby Cowboys 4 life » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:50 pm

mikus wrote:He did look good, and he looked better in that game than Favre did. But that does not translate to a full season, and Rodgers' talent and potential remain to be seen. I think he will be worth a late-round selection as a sleeper because the weapons exist on that offense for Rodgers to be successful, particularly in the passing game.

Agree completely.
Cowboys 4 life

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Somewhere between Silicon Valley and a bunch of Fruits

Postby MrTwo94 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:54 pm

skibrett15 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Don't draft him as your #1, certainly. I think he's definitely worth picking up as a flier. If you're in a Keeper and you don't have one of the big names I think you have to look at him a bit early in the draft, like a round earlier than his ADP, in case he turns out to be pretty good.

Maybe you shouldn't draft him as your No.1, but you could. Seems like a better option over half the qbs out there. I think you can make the case for picking him over: Leinart, Campbell, Bills QB, Miami QB, Jets QB, Alex Smith, Tarvaris Jackson, Kitna, Bears QB, Oakland QB, KC QB, Baltimore QB, Vince Young, Houston QB, Delhomme, Atlanta QB, Garcia.
So that's 18 QBs who I think I would pick Rodgers over.

"Houston QB" threw for about 4k yards and 24 TD's without Andre Johnson for half the season. Just FYI. Don't sleep on Schaub next year. If he and Andre are healthy, he won't be a bad value pick. Probably better than Rogers who I'd say is equally, if not more injury prone. Plus, if Schaub gets hurt I doubt anyone will already have Rosenfels on their roster.

Sorry to get off topic. I just took offense there.

Also, even with Martz gone I don't see how Kitna can't do pretty well with Roy and Calvin. I'd probably take him over Rogers, too. They'll probably be playing from behind so they'll end up throwing the ball quite a bit with whoever their OC is.
MrTwo94
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby skibrett15 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:09 am

Yes I agree with those two points, TWO, I would probably take them both before Rodgers mostly because I feel like Rodgers' perceived value is low right now. The difference I see is that

A) The packers have one of the best receiving corps in football. You have Greg Jennings and Donald Driver who at the very least are among the top duos in the NFL, especially since these are both guys who turn 7 yard slants into 55 yard TDs. That is the production you want because it doesn't force Rodgers out of his comfort zone to throw timing deep routes to make big plays. The receivers make the plays for him. James Jones is a reliable option who is improving. TE Lee is a good to great option as far as TEs go since he can stretch the field, and that is where fantasy points are made for a QB-TE connection. The packers are also the deepest in football at WR, with Ruvell Martin and Koren Robinson legitimate threats.
B) Don't sleep on the value of a good O-line. The best O-lines made the playoffs and did well in the playoffs. They did OK, and better than the Pats O-line vs. NYG, and held Seattle well in check. This O-line was top 3 if not top 2 by the end of the season and they were improving in terms of pass blocking throughout the season.
C)Mike McCarthy knows this team is built somewhat around the pass, and he is not going to jump ship on the pass game simply because he has an unseasoned QB. Rodgers is Accurate and knows the system well and Mike knows that. McCarthy is going to use Grant to take some pressure off of Rodgers, but don't expect us to be running on 3rd and 5 like the bears. Until we get the ZBS really working, the run is on the back burner. Mike has said he will run what works, and right now that is the passing game.
D) The NFC North is extremely susceptible via the Pass. The Lions are putrid in all facets on D, but the Vikings are significantly worse against the pass, and the bears were surprisingly poor last season. That is 6 games right there, 4 if the Bears bounce back.
ADMIN edit: please note that the overall sig limit is 12k - thanks!
(Thanks Leber)
AIM is like multiplayer notepad
skibrett15
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby onnestabe » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:03 am

MrTwo94 wrote:
skibrett15 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Don't draft him as your #1, certainly. I think he's definitely worth picking up as a flier. If you're in a Keeper and you don't have one of the big names I think you have to look at him a bit early in the draft, like a round earlier than his ADP, in case he turns out to be pretty good.

Maybe you shouldn't draft him as your No.1, but you could. Seems like a better option over half the qbs out there. I think you can make the case for picking him over: Leinart, Campbell, Bills QB, Miami QB, Jets QB, Alex Smith, Tarvaris Jackson, Kitna, Bears QB, Oakland QB, KC QB, Baltimore QB, Vince Young, Houston QB, Delhomme, Atlanta QB, Garcia.
So that's 18 QBs who I think I would pick Rodgers over.

"Houston QB" threw for about 4k yards and 24 TD's without Andre Johnson for half the season. Just FYI. Don't sleep on Schaub next year. If he and Andre are healthy, he won't be a bad value pick. Probably better than Rogers who I'd say is equally, if not more injury prone. Plus, if Schaub gets hurt I doubt anyone will already have Rosenfels on their roster.

Sorry to get off topic. I just took offense there.

Also, even with Martz gone I don't see how Kitna can't do pretty well with Roy and Calvin. I'd probably take him over Rogers, too. They'll probably be playing from behind so they'll end up throwing the ball quite a bit with whoever their OC is.

I would also put Garcia and a healthy Delhomme above Rodgers. Garcia is in a pass-happy offense with a lot of adequate targets (wouldn't say any of them are stellar, but 5 adequate weapons in that offense will yield some production), and Delhomme has Steve Smith. They are both older, so you have to be concerned about injuries with them, but Rodgers has shown his fragility as well. I guess what I'm saying is that although Rodgers is in the mix with these guys because of his upside, I would take the safe guys first if we're talking about #1 QBs. I think if he's your #1, you need to be thinking about drafting two more QBs with your next two picks so that hopefully one becomes a legitimate fantasy starter.

But I understand your thinking ski, and agree that the upside is there. Favre is great, but I don't know that it's unreasonable to expect Rodgers to put up similar numbers to what Favre did last year given the tools he has to work with.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby Twisted Sister » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:16 pm

Maybe a 18th round pick of BRETT FAVRE... maybe he'll pull a Strahan (sit out preseason). I would not put it past Brett, once he goes into that late-August withdrawl.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Guru13 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 pm

well first off as far as Favre possibly coming back goes, I love Brett Favre (not quite John Madden kind of love, but close enough), greatest QB I ever watched and every game was as exciting as it could be, but now that he's made this official I just think it would be wrong to go back on it. Aaron Rodgers has the job now, don't burst his bubble by saying halfway through preseason you want to come back.

As far as the QB situation goes now, I honestly have faith in Rodgers to help take the team to the playoffs. He's been groomed with help of Favre for a few years now and as mentioned knows the offense well. He looked great against Dallas (not the best secondary but for his first real action, pretty darn good) and it just seems to me like he can do more than just keep the defense from putting eight in the box and actually do some damage.
Guru13
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:29 pm

I'll give him 10 games. ;-)
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:05 pm

I'm interested to see how this works. It is usually considered that learning from someone as great as Favre would help immensely, but at the same time, he still is starting for the first time every. Should be interesting to see how this works out.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Previous

Return to Football Talk