Javon Walker - Fantasy Wasteland welcomes you to Oakland - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Javon Walker - Fantasy Wasteland welcomes you to Oakland

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Javon Walker - Fantasy Wasteland welcomes you to Oakland

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:49 pm

biju wrote:What I'm starting to find very interesting is that DJ Hackett has gone untouched so far. I just read that Hackett certainly hasn't ruled out signing back with Seattle and that there is speculation that he might sign for cheap (relatively) for one year to try to build up his asking price. Are teams really that afraid of his ability to stay healthy?

I certainly would have given Hackett half of that money Walker just got and expected *better* production if I owned the Raiders. What the hell is Al Davis thinking?

:-P

That has to be it. Hackett at this stage doesn't appear to be markedly different than Walker, but Walker's health has been slightly better over the past few seasons.

Unless Hackett is on his way to the Bucs and it's understood by one and all?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby BigBadBrawler » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:34 pm

knapplc wrote:How difficult is it to be a Raiders fan? My goodness, the boneheaded moves just keep rolling in. It's not even like an NFL franchise anymore, it's just a collection of players getting paid, putting in their 16 games and heading to the party when it's done.

Good luck to you, Oaktowners. You're going to need it.

I'm not a Radier fan, and I'm not trying to be crass here, but you're a Bears fan, right? You might just wanna save a little of that luck for yourself this year... ;-) Seems like the Bears have been making Al Davis moves this off-season... :-b
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby BigBadBrawler » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:38 pm

knapplc wrote:
biju wrote:What I'm starting to find very interesting is that DJ Hackett has gone untouched so far. I just read that Hackett certainly hasn't ruled out signing back with Seattle and that there is speculation that he might sign for cheap (relatively) for one year to try to build up his asking price. Are teams really that afraid of his ability to stay healthy?

I certainly would have given Hackett half of that money Walker just got and expected *better* production if I owned the Raiders. What the hell is Al Davis thinking?

:-P

That has to be it. Hackett at this stage doesn't appear to be markedly different than Walker, but Walker's health has been slightly better over the past few seasons.

Unless Hackett is on his way to the Bucs and it's understood by one and all?

Yeah, I had also heard that Hackett was pricing himself out of a job in some places, but you can't imagine he was asking for more than the ridiculous amount that Walker got from the Raiders...

Also, I do have to admit that Russell showed flashes of development last year, and if OAK does draft McFadden, Russell throwing to Walker and Curry, with McFadden and Fargas coming out of the backfield might not be too horrible of an offense....
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:53 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:
knapplc wrote:How difficult is it to be a Raiders fan? My goodness, the boneheaded moves just keep rolling in. It's not even like an NFL franchise anymore, it's just a collection of players getting paid, putting in their 16 games and heading to the party when it's done.

Good luck to you, Oaktowners. You're going to need it.

I'm not a Radier fan, and I'm not trying to be crass here, but you're a Bears fan, right? You might just wanna save a little of that luck for yourself this year... ;-) Seems like the Bears have been making Al Davis moves this off-season... :-b

You ain't lying, that's for sure. :-o

Someone else's problems are always worse than your own though, right? O:-)
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:12 pm

This is a good signing by the Raider's. Sure, they might have overpaid by a few million, but three years from now this contract won't be all that big anymore. And it's nearly impossible to get a WR of Walker's caliber off the FA market. For all the people trying to delude themselves into thinking that Walker is nothing special and a malcontent, why was half the league trying to sign the guy despite a bum knee the instant he was released by the Bronco's? Newsflash: The guy is one of the most talented WRs in the NFL when healthy. If you want to blame him for injuring his knee twice in his career, be my guest. Jamal Lewis came back from 2 knees to the tune of 2,000+ yards. This guy is way too young to begin writing him off.

If Jemarcus Russell matures quickly, this could be a very big fantasy development in Oakland. I think Walker now falls under the WR#1 on a bad team rule, because back when Randy Moss was actually giving half an effort (as opposed to ZERO effort), he was a top15 WR in Oakland. If signs point to the knee being alright by the time the season starts, I would not hesitate to pickup Walker as my WR#3.

The wheel turns in the NFL, just think back to how potent Oakland was when Rich Gannon was slinging the ball. Just think back to the Bengal's a few years ago. Things turn around and sometimes quickly.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:56 pm

I don't know, Ken. Walker will be 30 next October, and those knees aren't getting any younger as the rest of him gets older. His age, his injury history, the fact that Oaktown doesn't have a QB to warrant that kind of WR "talent" and the money all combine to make me wonder why he's going to be someone worth noting next year.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:40 pm

Small update:

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&hl=113732&id=1741

Javon Walker's six-year contract with the Raiders includes a $6 million signing bonus and base salaries of $5 million in the first two years.

It's backloaded with $10 million salaries, but Oakland will almost certainly be on the hook for that $16 million in the first two years. Even though Walker may not see the final three or four seasons, he's shockingly overpaid.

So the original report of $27 million over the first three years was false. The Raiders still exorbitantly overpaid Walker.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Azrael » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:12 pm

Not to hijack the thread but this makes me like Brandon Marshall alot more now actually.
Azrael
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 7)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:26 pm

Azrael wrote:Not to hijack the thread but this makes me like Brandon Marshall alot more now actually.

Just wait til you see how high he's gonna be going this year by noobs, though...

The Raiders/Al Davis are a complete joke. No words can explain this signing.

Tom Brady made a little over $7 mil last year.

:-? :-b
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby The Lung » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:54 pm

Kensat30 wrote:This is a good signing by the Raider's. Sure, they might have overpaid by a few million.

Sure. What's a few million here and there.

When you're already up against the salary cap and have been one of the worst teams in the league the last 5 years and could have used that money.

If it wasn't obvious before, Al Davis is obviously senile. Nobody in their right mind pays a WR who needs microfracture surgery that kind of money. More than Randy Moss makes!
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk