Javon Walker - Fantasy Wasteland welcomes you to Oakland - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Javon Walker - Fantasy Wasteland welcomes you to Oakland

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Javon Walker - Fantasy Wasteland welcomes you to Oakland

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:00 am

The Lung wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:This is a good signing by the Raider's. Sure, they might have overpaid by a few million.

Sure. What's a few million here and there.

When you're already up against the salary cap and have been one of the worst teams in the league the last 5 years and could have used that money.

If it wasn't obvious before, Al Davis is obviously senile. Nobody in their right mind pays a WR who needs microfracture surgery that kind of money. More than Randy Moss makes!

Calling Al Davis senile is an insult.

To senile people. :-b

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:07 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:
The Lung wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:This is a good signing by the Raider's. Sure, they might have overpaid by a few million.

Sure. What's a few million here and there.

When you're already up against the salary cap and have been one of the worst teams in the league the last 5 years and could have used that money.

If it wasn't obvious before, Al Davis is obviously senile. Nobody in their right mind pays a WR who needs microfracture surgery that kind of money. More than Randy Moss makes!

Calling Al Davis senile is an insult.

To senile people. :-b

:-b

I would say that he wishes he would have stayed in Green Bay, but why would he not want this kind of money to be on any team? I'm still in disbelief at this.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:00 am

FantasyMan13 wrote:I would say that he wishes he would have stayed in Green Bay, but why would he not want this kind of money to be on any team? I'm still in disbelief at this.

I think people are cracking on Walker far less than they are cracking on the Raiders here. It's hard to fault a guy for signing for that kind of money, especially when he has that injury history, so that's not the main issue. The money Oakland paid for the guy - that's the real issue in this thread.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BigBadBrawler » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:45 am

knapplc wrote:
FantasyMan13 wrote:I would say that he wishes he would have stayed in Green Bay, but why would he not want this kind of money to be on any team? I'm still in disbelief at this.

I think people are cracking on Walker far less than they are cracking on the Raiders here. It's hard to fault a guy for signing for that kind of money, especially when he has that injury history, so that's not the main issue. The money Oakland paid for the guy - that's the real issue in this thread.

And actually, the contract might not be as bad as we originally thought. If it is back-loaded like it's been reported, then giving a guy with WR1 talent a $6 million dollar bonus, and then paying him $5 mil a year for the first two years isn't that bad a deal, and it lets you cut your losses if things don't work out well. As long as Walker passed their physical, and they agreed with his contention that he wouldn't need the microfracture surgery and would be ready to play once Camp/The Season rolls around, then I could see giving him $16 million over the first two years, especially when Berrian just signed a contract where he'd be getting $27 mil for his first three years (including a $16 million dollar signing bonus, which is much more than Walker got)...
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:16 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:And actually, the contract might not be as bad as we originally thought.

Yeah, about that... :-B

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1741

Javon Walker received an $11 million signing bonus and will earn $20 million in the first two years of his Raiders contract. He'll earn $27 million in the first three, and $35 million in the first four years.

Highly incorrect info on Walker's contract came from the Raiders Wednesday that indicated Walker ultimately signed a two-year deal. They have confirmed the error. This setup will make Walker extremely expensive to cut early in the deal and makes it likely he'll be a Raider through 2010 if he's remotely healthy.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:31 pm

knapplc wrote:

What? I'm not faulting him, but doing the opposite.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:41 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
BigBadBrawler wrote:And actually, the contract might not be as bad as we originally thought.

Yeah, about that... :-B

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=1741

Javon Walker received an $11 million signing bonus and will earn $20 million in the first two years of his Raiders contract. He'll earn $27 million in the first three, and $35 million in the first four years.

Highly incorrect info on Walker's contract came from the Raiders Wednesday that indicated Walker ultimately signed a two-year deal. They have confirmed the error. This setup will make Walker extremely expensive to cut early in the deal and makes it likely he'll be a Raider through 2010 if he's remotely healthy.

Well Brawler, you was right, it ain't as bad as we originally thought.

It's worse. :-*

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:36 am

Who the heck is Walker's agent? Geez. I can't believe there would have been many if any teams offering anything close to that kind of deal. This is the problem with the Raiders. They are run by a genius turned tyrant turned a drooling, blubbering, fool.
If Walker can be the Walker he once was, unlikely, this deal is only dumb. This team isn't close to ready to compete and Walker is only a stop-gap to try and give a QB targets. The money might keep them from improving in areas that might give the team wins.

Hope that works out for you Raider nation.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 82)

Previous

Return to Football Talk