Who is the #10 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Who is the #10 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Poll ended at Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:57 pm

RB Tashard Choice
14%
RB Ray Rice
24%
QB Matt Ryan
14%
WR Limas Sweed
24%
WR DeSean Jackson
10%
WR Mario Mannigham
10%
WR Devin Thomas
5%
other (please discuss)
No votes

Total votes : 21

Postby The Lung » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:57 pm

#1: RB Darren McFadden
#2: RB Jonathan Stewart
#3: RB Rashard Mendenhall
#4: RB Felix Jones
#5: WR Malcolm Kelly
#6: RB Jamaal Charles
#7: RB Chris Johnson
#8: RB Matt Forte
#9: RB Kevin Smith

"Dynasty Rankings by Democracy" continues! Who is the #10 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008? Feel free to discuss the pros and cons of these prospects - this could be helpful for some and generate some good discussion. Please feel free to use Combine results to aid in your decision. If you vote "other" please discuss the player after you vote, and if he doesn't win as a write-in, I'll add his name to the next poll.
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Who is the #10 rookie for keeper/dynasty leagues in 2008?

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:19 pm

I went Mario. I went choice last round, but mainly because Mario wasn't on the board. Mario is the second best wide out in the Draft IMO and he should end up in a decent spot to be productive in his first season. Over the long haul he will be a good one ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby onnestabe » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:17 am

The slow time in the combine scared me off of Manningham a bit, so I went with Devin Thomas. He's got the size, speed, and hands to play, and I think it's possible he will get into a situation where he will see the field early and often.

I know the combine isn't necessarily the best source of information, but I think you have to take notice of that slow of a time by a WR, especially when you think about how many guys put up really fast times. It doesn't seem like that was a slow track or anything like that.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:58 am

onnestabe wrote:The slow time in the combine scared me off of Manningham a bit, so I went with Devin Thomas. He's got the size, speed, and hands to play, and I think it's possible he will get into a situation where he will see the field early and often.

I know the combine isn't necessarily the best source of information, but I think you have to take notice of that slow of a time by a WR, especially when you think about how many guys put up really fast times. It doesn't seem like that was a slow track or anything like that.

I have Thomas and Mario about even actually. It was a coin flip for me. ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby killiansjmd » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:16 pm

I voted for Ray Rice. He might be short but he has 4.4 speed to break the long runs plus the guy is tough & strong. He can run in between the tackles and get those tough yards.
Thanks to Metroid for the sig!
killiansjmd
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:30 pm

Enough with all the RB. I went with Sweed here, because I think he's the best option after Kelly in terms of WR.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:59 pm

The lack of love for Ray Rice in these threads is astounding. Height is apparently a very big influence for a whole lot of people. The guy has the build of an NFL RB.. and more importantly, he can ball.

Choice is a career backup at best.

And personally, I'll pickup whatever WR I like that drops to the 2nd round. The tier of WRs this year is HUGE. There is no reason to drop an early pick on one (unless you think there is a clearcut STANDOUT amongst the group... there isn't). RBs are so limited in dynasty that if you draft WR in the first round, you are also drafting WR in the 2nd, and in the 3rd, and in the 4th.... Positional scarcity in dynasty drafts are HUGE. There are only 7 or 8 RBs and that have a CHANCE to be a starter in this league each year, and realistically only 4 or 5 of those guys have a real shot.

Ray Rice has a shot people. This guy should go in the top half of round 1 in all dynasty leagues, not in the bottom. Getting him at #10 is a STEAL.

Limas Sweed? You guys are crazy...

Here are your 5-7 guys that have a chance of making an impact this year at RB:

Big 3
Johnson
Rice
Jones
Forte

Charles - too skinny
Smith - too raw
the rest- not talented enough
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Humpback » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Kensat30 wrote:The lack of love for Ray Rice in these threads is astounding. Height is apparently a very big influence for a whole lot of people. The guy has the build of an NFL RB.. and more importantly, he can ball.

And personally, I'll pickup whatever WR I like that drops to the 2nd round. The tier of WRs this year is HUGE. There is no reason to drop an early pick on one (unless you think there is a clearcut STANDOUT amongst the group... there isn't). RBs are so limited in dynasty that if you draft WR in the first round, you are also drafting WR in the 2nd, and in the 3rd, and in the 4th.... Positional scarcity in dynasty drafts are HUGE. There are only 7 or 8 RBs and that have a CHANCE to be a starter in this league each year, and realistically only 4 or 5 of those guys have a real shot.

Ray Rice has a shot people. This guy should go in the top half of round 1 in all dynasty leagues, not in the bottom. Getting him at #10 is a STEAL.

Big 3
Johnson
Rice
Jones
Forte

Charles - too skinny
Smith - too raw

Agreed for the most part, I think the RB class is much deeper than the WR class, besides the point that WRs usually take longer to produce. I can't spend an early rookie pick on a WR that isn't a top prospect, then have to sit on them usually for 2-3 years before you can even determine if they can be any good.

IMO, it's very difficult to determine who belongs where at this point. I like Rice, but if he gets drafted by a team like Carolina or Houston he'll have a totally different value than if he got drafted by St. Louis or Atlanta for instance.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Kensat30 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:20 pm

Humpback wrote:
Kensat30 wrote:The lack of love for Ray Rice in these threads is astounding. Height is apparently a very big influence for a whole lot of people. The guy has the build of an NFL RB.. and more importantly, he can ball.

Big 3
Johnson
Rice
Jones
Forte

Charles - too skinny
Smith - too raw

Agreed for the most part, I think the RB class is much deeper than the WR class, besides the point that WRs usually take longer to produce. I can't spend an early rookie pick on a WR that isn't a top prospect, then have to sit on them usually for 2-3 years before you can even determine if they can be any good.

IMO, it's very difficult to determine who belongs where at this point. I like Rice, but if he gets drafted by a team like Carolina or Houston he'll have a totally different value than if he got drafted by St. Louis or Atlanta for instance.

The same thing could have been said and actually was said when Marion Barber was drafted onto the Cowboy's "behind" Julius Jones. Dynasty league you need to take a long view on things, even if it takes 3+ years from your RBs to pan out, at least you took that shot.

Best case scenario when you draft a good but not great WR#1 in the first round is like landing Lee Evans or Santonio Holmes. Sure that is a good pick, but you are hitting for singles instead of going for the homerun. Then you are stuck taking the Brian Leonards of the world in the 2nd. Good luck building a foundation on Brian Leonard and Ryan Moats.
Kensat30
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Writer

Postby Humpback » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:31 pm

Kensat30 wrote:
Humpback wrote:

The same thing could have been said and actually was said when Marion Barber was drafted onto the Cowboy's "behind" Julius Jones. Dynasty league you need to take a long view on things, even if it takes 3+ years from your RBs to pan out, at least you took that shot.

Best case scenario when you draft a good but not great WR#1 in the first round is like landing Lee Evans or Santonio Holmes. Sure that is a good pick, but you are hitting for singles instead of going for the homerun. Then you are stuck taking the Brian Leonards of the world in the 2nd. Good luck building a foundation on Brian Leonard and Ryan Moats.

I agreed with you on the RB/WR comparision. I'm talking about deciding who should be the #4, #5, #6, etc., picks between guys like Rice, Jones, Forte, Johnson, Charles, etc. They are all in the second or third tier of RB prospects in this draft, and where they end up will have a huge impact on their FF values IMO.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Next

Return to Football Talk