Sapp is done - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sapp is done

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sapp is done

Postby stomperrob » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:15 pm

Doesn't have to worry about watching that boyish figure anymore...

Warren Sapp officially retires
The Associated Press
Article Launched: 03/04/2008 04:43:36 PM PST

OAKLAND, Calif.—Warren Sapp's 13-year NFL career officially ended when his retirement was posted on the Oakland Raiders' Web site.

Sapp said immediately after last season that he was through playing, but did not file the paper work. The posting on the team's site was the first official word that the star defensive tackle was done.

In January, the 35-year-old Sapp posted a two-word message on his Web site: "I'M DONE!" He had told teammates and coaches his plans after the season finale against San Diego.

Considered the quintessential "three technique" defensive tackle—lining up between the offensive guard and tackle—Sapp made seven Pro Bowls, won the 1999 Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year award, and led Tampa Bay's dominant defense that won the Super Bowl after the 2002 season.

Sapp spent nine seasons in Tampa before joining the Raiders in 2004 as a free agent. He mostly struggled with the Raiders, except for a strong 2006 in which he had 10 sacks, and had become more of a situational player in his final season.

In 2007, he had only two sacks and the Raiders' defense struggled against the run, allowing a league-worst 4.8 yards per carry.

Sapp finished his career with 96 1/2 sacks, 28th overall since the NFL began keeping track of the statistic in 1982, but extra impressive because he played tackle.

His running "feud" with Packers quarterback Brett Favre—who coincidentally announced his retirement Tuesday as well—brought some levity to a sometimes brutal game. Sapp was known as a trash talker, and Favre often went directly back at him with a smile when both the Bucs and Packers were in the same division and played twice a season.

Sapp starred in college at Miami, where he arrived as a tight end and left as the best defensive player in the country. He slipped to No. 12 in the 1995 draft after testing positive for marijuana at the scouting combine.

That was just one controversy in Sapp's career. In 2002, he nearly ended the career of Packers offensive tackle Chad Clifton with a vicious hit while trying to throw a block after an interception. Then-Packers coach Mike Sherman confronted Sapp on the field after the game, calling it a dirty play.

Sapp was fined $50,000 for bumping an official in 2003 and was fined $75,000 after being ejected following three personal fouls in the next-to-last game of his career against Jacksonville.

Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sapp is done

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:17 pm

He was just at Mike Alstott's retirement party this weekend and the local radio guy mentioned this was going to happen. He is a HOF in my book ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:26 am

deerayfan072 wrote:He was just at Mike Alstott's retirement party this weekend and the local radio guy mentioned this was going to happen. He is a HOF in my book ;-D

Considering the amount of sacks he generated from the DT position, I'd have to agree with you. It doesn't hurt that he was a defensive player of the year and a Super Bowl champion either.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby flotsamnjetsam » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:48 am

Sapp was done a few years ago. ;-7 :-b ;-)

Thanks to deluxe_247 for the awesome sig!
flotsamnjetsam

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerTrivia Time Trial ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 78)

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:44 pm

flotsamnjetsam wrote:Sapp was done a few years ago. ;-7 :-b ;-)

Yeah didn't he retire and move to Oakland 3 years ago? :-?

:-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:52 pm

My favorite Warren Sapp memory - watching him huff and puff out of breath on the sideline in the fourth quarter as the Huskers kept pounding the rock against them during the 1994 National Championship game.

For his body shape the guy was a beast. He's a sure-fire HOFer. So long, Warren. ;-D

:-°
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:10 pm

Man, all these great players retiring recently sucks. :-t
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:27 am

FantasyMan13 wrote:Man, all these great players retiring recently sucks. :-t

Changing of the guard man. Out with the old, in with the new.

On one hand it's sad, but now hopefully some of the up-and-comers will get more pub, and the more "casual" fams will get to know about players like Albert Haynesworth a bit better instead of the talking heads prattling on about the same ol' same 'ol.

At any rate Sapp will be missed. Watching him and Favre go at it back in the day was great. Two great players who seemed to respect and genuinely like one another locking horns...good stuff.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:32 am

It's interesting how, and I don't want to say take for granted, but we almost forget that someday these guys won't be around. Before this season, I had a very hard time imagining what life would be like without Marvin Harrison shagging passes from Peyton Manning. Harrison missing most of the year with an injury made me realize just how spoiled I've been these past 12 years. Don't get me wrong, I love Reggie Wayne and I'm also very fond of Anthony Gonzalez, but there's nothing like Marvin. Seeing Favre, Sapp and Alstott, who was drafted the same year Harrison was, retire saddens me. It reminds me that we really need to appreciate what we have right now. If you are a Packers fan or a Bucs fan, I hope you realize just how fortunate you were to have these guys play for your squads. As football fans, I hope we're all smart enough to realize that the game is a far less exciting and colorful place without these guys.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:33 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:

It's interesting how, and I don't want to say take for granted, but we almost forget that someday these guys won't be around. Before this season, I had a very hard time imagining what life would be like without Marvin Harrison shagging passes from Peyton Manning. Harrison missing most of the year with an injury made me realize just how spoiled I've been these past 12 years. Don't get me wrong, I love Reggie Wayne and I'm also very fond of Anthony Gonzalez, but there's nothing like Marvin. Seeing Favre, Sapp and Alstott, who was drafted the same year Harrison was, retire saddens me. It reminds me that we really need to appreciate what we have right now. If you are a Packers fan or a Bucs fan, I hope you realize just how fortunate you were to have these guys play for your squads. As football fans, I hope we're all smart enough to realize that the game is a far less exciting and colorful place without these guys.

Good post. I completely agree. ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Next

Return to Football Talk