RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Moderator: Football Moderators

RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby treat24 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:07 pm

I'll try to find a link but my guess is someone will be quicker than me... I guess the Vikes are willing to give a 3rd or 4th.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:12 pm

Really? Joey Harrington is available! What are they thinking? ! !??!?

So what does this say about Tarvaris Jackson? That he's not ready yet? Or that he's just not the guy?
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:22 pm

This is from SI's "Truth & Rumors" section:

The Vikings were having less success in finding a backup and training camp competitor for quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. Negotiations to acquire Houston backup Sage Rosenfels stalled Thursday, and two free agents in whom the Vikings had expressed interest -- Cleo Lemon and Josh McCown -- signed elsewhere Friday. Lemon went to Jacksonville, and McCown signed with Miami. Those decisions left the Vikings facing more trade talks with Houston -- or possibly Buffalo for J.P. Losman.

Er...

What are the Queens doing? Look at this list:

Sage Rosenfels
Cleo Lemon
Josh McCown
JP Losman

What is compelling about any of these names? Maybe my Joey Harrington joke wasn't such a joke after all. Harrington couldn't give much worse than these guys, that's for sure, and he could be had as cheap or cheaper.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby BigBadBrawler » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:24 pm

Yeah, I could see bringing Losman in for competition or something, but a 3rd or a 4th? That just seems too high to me. There are plenty of mediocre and inconsistent QBs that can be had for free through FA... :-b
BigBadBrawler
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
Location: The largest Media Market in the country without an NFL Franchise

Postby Metroid » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:25 pm

No doubt knapp. 8-o
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:59 pm

knapplc wrote:This is from SI's "Truth & Rumors" section:

The Vikings were having less success in finding a backup and training camp competitor for quarterback Tarvaris Jackson. Negotiations to acquire Houston backup Sage Rosenfels stalled Thursday, and two free agents in whom the Vikings had expressed interest -- Cleo Lemon and Josh McCown -- signed elsewhere Friday. Lemon went to Jacksonville, and McCown signed with Miami. Those decisions left the Vikings facing more trade talks with Houston -- or possibly Buffalo for J.P. Losman.

Er...

What are the Queens doing? Look at this list:

Sage Rosenfels
Cleo Lemon
Josh McCown
JP Losman

What is compelling about any of these names? Maybe my Joey Harrington joke wasn't such a joke after all. Harrington couldn't give much worse than these guys, that's for sure, and he could be had as cheap or cheaper.

Childress still feels Jackson is his guy, but it seems he's less sure of that fact now than when he drafted him. I don't think Childress would really expect anything out of these guys other than to serve as a motivating factor for Jackson. If Jackson sees the team trying to acquire some young fairly talented players at his position, he'll see that the Vikings aren't completely dependant upon him and that they could go another way if need be. Jackson will be given every opportunity by the Vikings, and will either fail prove his doubters right, or he'll become the kind of QB Childress believes he can be. Until they are sure of the kind of player he's going to be, he's the Vikings starting QB, period.

Still, I don't know how I feel about JP Losman. He's basically a T-Jack clone...huge arm, very little accuracy at times, and questionable decision making skills at this point. Rosenfels would be my first choice off that list. But it sounds like the Texans are demanding a 2nd round pick and the Vikes won't go higher than a third. Lemon's conservative play would have fit the Vikings offense well, but it looks like they missed there chance with him already.

They clearly need a better option then Brooks Bollinger at backup QB and, given the situation, I think there best option would be to just pony up that second round pick for Rosenfels.

There's no question they really backed themselves into a corner on this one though. :-[ :-[
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bdrotoronto » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:34 pm

treat24 wrote:I'll try to find a link but my guess is someone will be quicker than me... I guess the Vikes are willing to give a 3rd or 4th.

And hopefully the Bills wouldn't stand in the way.. :-b

Seriously, though, as bad as Losman's been in Buffalo, I haven't seen anything suggesting he's worse than Tavaris Jackson, Minnesota could be a good landing spot for him.
bdrotoronto
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Humpback » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:43 pm

bdrotoronto wrote:
treat24 wrote:I'll try to find a link but my guess is someone will be quicker than me... I guess the Vikes are willing to give a 3rd or 4th.

And hopefully the Bills wouldn't stand in the way.. :-b

Seriously, though, as bad as Losman's been in Buffalo, I haven't seen anything suggesting he's worse than Tavaris Jackson, Minnesota could be a good landing spot for him.

I actually agree. I don't think I'd give a 3rd, but I would give a 4th from Minny. There is a big difference between playing in the elements in Buffalo vs. playing in a dome on turf, and JP actually has a pretty good deep ball. I don't think he's great, but I think he could be better in Minny.

I'm not sure I agree that it's TJax's job- if they give up a #2 or #3 pick for a QB, I'd imagine they'd give them equal chance to win it- that's too much to give up for a back-up QB IMO. It's going to depend on who they bring in obviously, but I expect there to be an open competition for the starting gig if it's someone pretty decent.
14 Teams, each keep 14 players
QB: P. Manning, Schaub
RB: MJD, Westy, C. Johnson, A. Bradshaw, J. Ringer
WR: TO, Driver, J. Gage, Crabtree, J. Morgan, K. Curtis, E. Bennett, M. Sims-Walker
TE: Witten, M. Lewis
K: Gostkowski, J. Brown
D/ST: Tenn, NE
Humpback
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby SniperShot » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:50 pm

Hmm the Vikings QB situation can go from mediocre to semi-mediocre if they acquire Losman... Yeah.... :-X
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby BlueBandit24 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:19 pm

I'm still hoping that the Texans budge on their demands on a 2nd for Rosenfels. I am not sure where all the negative thoughts come from surrounding Sage. He was solid in extended duty for Houston last season and was arguably better than Schaub. He sports an 82.0 QB rating and would be a big upgrade over the Vikings backups, along with having a great chance to overtake Jackson as the starter. I would feel good about our playoff chances with Rosenfels at the helm.

I would be OK with acquiring Losman for a 5th rounder or later, but not a 3rd. I do not think the Vikings will give up a 3rd either. Say what you want about their on-field performance, but they have done some pretty good things in the front office and seem to value draft picks. Losman would be worlds better than Holcomb or Bollinger and if he showed anything near the promise he did at the end of '06 season he would be a solid addition.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Football Talk