RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:35 pm

the vikings need to load up on the Rosenfels Experience....if they had the Experience, then Adrian Peterson is a lock for 1500 yards and 25 tds!
Image

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5309
Joined: 20 Oct 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Beantown, Taxachusetts

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby Trainer of Dolphins » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:47 pm

I think Rosenfels or Losman would come in with a chance to win the competition. I also think the coaching staff would still be hoping Jackson wins the competition. Either way the Vikes need to get a backup besides Brooks Bollinger (it sure pays to have been Childress' QB in college)
Trainer of Dolphins
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

User avatar

Posts: 622
Joined: 11 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Heaven, no it's IOWA

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:16 am

I'd sooner give up nothing for Piano Boy than give up a pick for Losman, plus you could get Joey for less $$$.

Rosenfels looked pretty good last year, but I'm not giving up a 2nd to get him.

What about trying to bring back C-Pep on the cheap? :-?
Image

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Posts: 13587
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Making My List and Checking It Twice...

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby treat24 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:33 am

Kilroy1872 wrote:I'd sooner give up nothing for Piano Boy than give up a pick for Losman, plus you could get Joey for less $$$.

Rosenfels looked pretty good last year, but I'm not giving up a 2nd to get him.

What about trying to bring back C-Pep on the cheap? :-?


childress squashed that idea on the radio a few days ago

maybe cunningham would be willing to come out of retirement?

better yet, doesn't sean salisbury need a job?

:)
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:38 am

Honestly, unless Joey Harrington just has a terrible reputation around the league or they've somehow determined that he cannot possibly fit into their system, I can't understand why you would pay for Sage Rosenfels when you could get Harrington for a bag of used balls. I'm not about to go Metroid in my praise for Harrington, but the guy is experienced in three different systems, he has some skills, and he's available with one phone call. Do due diligence and at least bring him into camp or something, Vikes!
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby onnestabe » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:04 am

I agree that Harrington seems to be the best option at this point since you don't have to give up any draft picks to get him, but I wonder if he will be given an even chance to win the job if they did get him. It may seem to the coaches that he's had that chance multiple times and he's blown it.

Also, I don't know that giving up a second round pick for Rosenfels is all that high of a price considering what you will be getting. A veteran who has shown that he can play well in a starting role as recently as last year. Losman couldn't hold his job against a rookie who's only saving grace is that he didn't throw too many picks. Also, you gave up a second round pick for Tarvaris not too long ago when you had no idea if he would be a good starter. Now that you have evidence that says he won't be, why wouldn't you give up another second rounder for a guy that has led his team to wins as a starter last year (as opposed to T-Jack following his team to wins last year)?

I felt like Minnesota's biggest needs this offseason were at WR, defensive secondary, and QB. Maybe throw D-end in there as well since the one guy got diagnosed with leukemia (unfortunate stuff - I wish I hadn't blanked on his name). They've addressed the first two with Madeiu Williams and Berrian. If you can give up a second round pick for a guy that just may be a huge piece of the puzzle, considering how hard it is to find a decent QB in this league, why wouldn't you do it?

I don't want to sound like Sage is some great QB talent. He has had his chances to be the starter as well. He blew it then, and there's no guarantees he wouldn't blow this situation as well. But with how good the Vikings are at running the ball and stopping the run, you don't need anything special out of your QB. His main job is going to be to complete 1-2 deep balls a game to keep the 8th man out of the box and make move the chains every once in awhile to keep a drive alive. Jackson can't do that. Sage has shown the ability to do more than that (with a pretty mediocre WR group in Houston).

But still. Harrington for free is better than giving up a draft pick for anyone. With Favre retiring and Chicago apparently content to ignore the offensive side of the ball, Minnesota just needs a little push to win that division and be a contender come playoff time. No one would want to see AD in the playoffs because he can absolutely take over a game and beat anybody. I'm just saying that a second round pick doesn't sound like too much to give when you consider how much the Vikings have to gain.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 4074
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cincinnati - West Price Hill

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:14 am

knapplc wrote:Do due diligence and at least bring him into camp or something, Vikes!


Easy for a Bears fan to say. ;-)

onnestabe wrote:
Also, I don't know that giving up a second round pick for Rosenfels is all that high of a price considering what you will be getting. A veteran who has shown that he can play well in a starting role as recently as last year. Losman couldn't hold his job against a rookie who's only saving grace is that he didn't throw too many picks. Also, you gave up a second round pick for Tarvaris not too long ago when you had no idea if he would be a good starter. Now that you have evidence that says he won't be, why wouldn't you give up another second rounder for a guy that has led his team to wins as a starter last year (as opposed to T-Jack following his team to wins last year)?

I don't want to sound like Sage is some great QB talent. He has had his chances to be the starter as well. He blew it then, and there's no guarantees he wouldn't blow this situation as well. But with how good the Vikings are at running the ball and stopping the run, you don't need anything special out of your QB. His main job is going to be to complete 1-2 deep balls a game to keep the 8th man out of the box and make move the chains every once in awhile to keep a drive alive. Jackson can't do that. Sage has shown the ability to do more than that (with a pretty mediocre WR group in Houston).


Agree completely. Rosenfels has shown a lot more than Harrington and I think he could manage the game rather well, which is all the Vikings really need from their QB at this point. Ideally I would give up a 3rd since we have 2 of those, but if they had not addressed it all by the draft I might budge on a 2nd. The Vikings have 9 picks including two 3rd-rounders so they have a little bit of wiggle room.
Image
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 5373
Joined: 2 Nov 2006
Home Cafe: Football

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:15 am

knapplc wrote:Honestly, unless Joey Harrington just has a terrible reputation around the league or they've somehow determined that he cannot possibly fit into their system, I can't understand why you would pay for Sage Rosenfels when you could get Harrington for a bag of used balls. I'm not about to go Metroid in my praise for Harrington, but the guy is experienced in three different systems, he has some skills, and he's available with one phone call. Do due diligence and at least bring him into camp or something, Vikes!

Hey what the hell man? :-b

I wasn't praising his NFL career by any means, so far he hasn't done anything. What I have said is that coming into the league he had all the skills you'd want in a QB but he was literally thrown to the Lions...I don't know if he is salvageable or not. Being a Ducks fan of course I'd like to see him succeed but at the same time I'm not so blinded by my fanhood that I can't see that Joey is failing. :-?
Image
Metroid
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Posts: 22544
Joined: 9 Oct 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Bringing the funk in P-Town!

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby onnestabe » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:19 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:Agree completely. Rosenfels has shown a lot more than Harrington and I think he could manage the game rather well, which is all the Vikings really need from their QB at this point. Ideally I would give up a 3rd since we have 2 of those, but if they had not addressed it all by the draft I might budge on a 2nd. The Vikings have 9 picks including two 3rd-rounders so they have a little bit of wiggle room.


I didn't even know they had that many picks when I made that first post. I think if you have two third round picks, you really should pull the trigger (try to get the price down, of course) and bring in a QB that has shown the ability to make the correct decision and make plays when there's talent around him. You don't want to be another team that has a bunch of weapons that are underutilized because the QB play is deficient, and you could very easily turn those two thirds into a second round pick if there was a guy you were targetting.

But when you look at the situation for both teams, you can see why the asking price is high. Houston knows they have a guy behind an injury prone Schaub that can take over the reigns without having to dumb down the offense, and without a significant drop-off in the level of play. Houston also knows that Minnesota is probably pretty desperate for some competent QB play, and there's not a lot of that available in the league. They also realize that because Schaub appears to be injury prone, they can't afford to lose him if they don't get a high price in return. Despite the value that Sage brings to Houston, he would bring more to Minnesota, and that gives them leverage, so they can set the price at the top end of the range, and they don't have to come off of it.

What I find funny is that Houston only traded second round picks for Schaub, yet they are asking for a second rounder for Schaub's backup. Some may say that's indicative of the fact that the asking price for Sage is too high, but like I said above, I don't see it that way. That's the price that Houston is willing to sell him for, and it's not unreasonable given the state of the Vikings QB depth chart to expect them to be making a good trade if they paid that price, so it's not too high given the market for QB talent in the league right now.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye
Posts: 4074
Joined: 6 Oct 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Cincinnati - West Price Hill

Re: RUMOR: Vikings trying to acquire JP Losman

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:56 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:
knapplc wrote:Do due diligence and at least bring him into camp or something, Vikes!


Easy for a Bears fan to say. ;-)


That's not from an opponent fan perspective, that's just from a logic perspective. Why overpay when the guy is qualified?

BlueBandit24 wrote:I'm still hoping that the Texans budge on their demands on a 2nd for Rosenfels. I am not sure where all the negative thoughts come from surrounding Sage. He was solid in extended duty for Houston last season and was arguably better than Schaub. He sports an 82.0 QB rating and would be a big upgrade over the Vikings backups, along with having a great chance to overtake Jackson as the starter. I would feel good about our playoff chances with Rosenfels at the helm.

I'm pretty sure they're not looking for someone to replace Jackson up in Minny, they're looking for someone to back him up and give him a push to succeed. That's about it.

Metroid wrote:
knapplc wrote:Honestly, unless Joey Harrington just has a terrible reputation around the league or they've somehow determined that he cannot possibly fit into their system, I can't understand why you would pay for Sage Rosenfels when you could get Harrington for a bag of used balls. I'm not about to go Metroid in my praise for Harrington, but the guy is experienced in three different systems, he has some skills, and he's available with one phone call. Do due diligence and at least bring him into camp or something, Vikes!

Hey what the hell man? :-b

I wasn't praising his NFL career by any means, so far he hasn't done anything. What I have said is that coming into the league he had all the skills you'd want in a QB but he was literally thrown to the Lions...I don't know if he is salvageable or not. Being a Ducks fan of course I'd like to see him succeed but at the same time I'm not so blinded by my fanhood that I can't see that Joey is failing. :-?

I'm just joshing you, homey. If I didn't tease you, you'd think I didn't like you.

And what, you got "metroid" radar that picks this stuff out of the air? How'd you see that? :-b
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 18:33 hours
(and 34 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact