Michael Cera - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Michael Cera

Moderator: Football Moderators

Michael Cera

Postby Pats4four » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:06 pm

Two of the more recent films that I've seen are Superbad and Juno and Michael Cera stars in both as 'Evan' and 'Paulie Bleaker'.

In Superbad, Seth (Jonah Hill) has the most outrageous lines that make up laugh out loud but I found Even to be hilarious as well, but in a different way. For example, when Evan stares at Becca during maths and gets caught his reaction is priceless and typical of what people do. He looks somewhere else and pretends to be looking at something else in another direction. The delivery of his lines is another thing that makes him so funny. At the beginning of the film, Seth talks about Evan's mum:

[mod edit: quotes deleted... not family friendly]

Cera's facial expression just doesn't change and it adds to the hilarity. Another example is when Seth's buying jeans and Evan just goes 'too tight, way too tight...it's like a division sign.' The awkwardness that Cera portrays is so realistic which makes me wonder if he is a really good actor or just awkward in real life, either way I think he's gonna be a big star in the future.

What do you guys think?
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Michael Cera

Postby treat24 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:08 pm

he's still george michael to me... and that's the role he plays in every movie...

i thought he would be big after AD... but he just keeps doing the same role... which I love... will ferrell does the same role all the time... we'll see if it has staying power as he gets older...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 pm

I think two things: This belongs in the movies thread or... somewhere.

And: You should know better than to post stuff like that movie quote here, even if you're going to replace letters. It's still frowned upon.

As for the movies, I haven't seen either but I really want to see both. Each sounds pretty good. ;-D
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:00 pm

i have a friend who is the spitting image of him (but with different hair) and even has the same dopey personality he does
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FantasyMan13 » Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:04 pm

Dan Lambskin wrote:i have a friend who is the spitting image of him (but with different hair) and even has the same dopey personality he does

Same here. Its kinda weird... :-*
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Pats4four » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:32 pm

First off, sorry about the quotations.

I know that his first beakthorugh was playing the role of George Michael Bluth in Arrested Developement but I haven't had the chance to see it as I live in the UK but AD does sound quite good. On the other hand, Cera's roles in movies all tend to be base around the awkward teenager type as treat said but I think he's great in that role. I would like to see him in differnet roles though but in his furture films, he's playing the same type of character which is a shame in one sense but good in another.
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:34 pm

Pats4four wrote:he's playing the same type of character which is a shame in one sense but good in another.

completely agree... you need to see AD as soon as you can... it's the same character from Cera... but I think the writing (an in return his lines) are so much better in the show... I love this role for him... Hopefully he does other stuff well too, cuz his delivery is spectacular.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby Pats4four » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:38 pm

I agree with his delivery completely. In Superbad, he doesn't get the rauncheous/outrageous lines but it's his timing and delivery that makes him so funnny. The 'samezies' moment is a classic along with 'be careful, it's a vintage.'
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:05 pm

I really wonder if he could ever play a different role. He is a great actor in that role, but I can't call him a great actor if he can't play any other role.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Pats4four » Sun Mar 09, 2008 3:35 pm

I hear where you're coming from Fleshner and I would like to see Cera in different roles just to see how adaptable he is. In your opinion, which up and coming actors/actresses are going to be 'great' actors/actresses in say 10 years time?
Pats4four
Head Coach
Head Coach

Next

Return to General Talk