Interpreting graffiti - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Interpreting graffiti

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Interpreting graffiti

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:32 am

Metroid wrote:Totally, I didn't mean for that to be read that if it was artistic it was OK. ;-D

I never heard of a tagger before. I would have thought it was short for a tea-bagger.

Hmmm... artistic tea-bagging? Think of the possibilities... :-? :-b
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:35 am

josebach wrote:
Metroid wrote:Totally, I didn't mean for that to be read that if it was artistic it was OK. ;-D

I never heard of a tagger before. I would have thought it was short for a tea-bagger.

Hmmm... artistic tea-bagging? Think of the possibilities... :-? :-b

I consider myself somewhat of an artistic tea-bagger....too bad nobody else does. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:16 am

A "tagger" is an idiot with a marker or spray can who goes around marking their "tag" like a dog pees on fire hydrants, just to show that they're there. This is a typical tag:

They can be more elaborate, but often they're like this, just a simple name or initials or a logo/emblem that represents the particular tagger. These guys sometimes are also graffiti artists and sometimes graffiti itself is called a tag, but a lot of people differentiate between the two. As you would expect, there aren't hardened-fast rules in the tagging world.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:23 am

knapplc wrote:A "tagger" is an idiot with a marker or spray can who goes around marking their "tag" like a dog pees on fire hydrants, just to show that they're there. This is a typical tag:

They can be more elaborate, but often they're like this, just a simple name or initials or a logo/emblem that represents the particular tagger. These guys sometimes are also graffiti artists and sometimes graffiti itself is called a tag, but a lot of people differentiate between the two. As you would expect, there aren't hardened-fast rules in the tagging world.

Now that I think of it, in some of the games I play online you can "tag" stuff with your own emblem. I never did it because who the heck cares where I've been? I guess everybody likes to think they're special to a certain extent. Too bad a huge majority of them are wrong. :-b Even I sometimes forget that I'm not special. :-/ :-)
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:06 pm

Sounds like just a tag as others have mentioned. Kind of like "I was here". It's sad these kids feel so little ownership or responsibility for anything that they resort to feeling important by spray painting over something that's not theirs.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Tiki » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:11 pm

The whole gang thing hasn't been around for years. I understand that there still might be a few, but it isn't as nearly as prevalent as it was in the 70s. There is a huge competition in Harlem every year and they have some of the best taggers from around the world, and my friend saw it last year he said it was simply amazing. I think on old abandon buildings or other abandon/some alleyways it is pretty legit. Only, if they are good. They are some cats around here who just suck and ruin the side of buildings. But, on some of the trains I've seen there has been masterpieces.

I still don't think you should be afraid, though. Gang wars or not. Maybe if you are at the park in middle of the night, but if it's not in a bad area it was probably just some high school kid fuxing around.

And if you get caught you are screwed. Cause than they figure out who you are, and you get fined for each tag you made. I had a friend who got caught and was fined $20,000 dollars or something around that cause he had tagged a lot of stuff!! :-o
Keep it lit.
Tiki
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 ChampionSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:14 pm

Tiki wrote:The whole gang thing hasn't been around for years. I understand that there still might be a few, but it isn't as nearly as prevalent as it was in the 70s.

Come to Cali...it's still going on as strong as it ever was.
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Metroid wrote:
Tiki wrote:The whole gang thing hasn't been around for years. I understand that there still might be a few, but it isn't as nearly as prevalent as it was in the 70s.

Yeah, it's even happening in Nebraska, Tiki. You should get out more. 8-o
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:54 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Are you saying gangs aren't prevalant anymore? Is that what you're saying Tiki?
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Madison » Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:51 pm

knapplc wrote:
Metroid wrote:

Texas as well. Plenty of gangs around here too.

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk