Good Sports Books, Anyone??? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Good Sports Books, Anyone???

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Good Sports Books, Anyone???

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:19 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:
Tiki wrote:Define a sports book? Cause I think the only one I've read was The Natural. That was pretty good.

Yeah, I probably should have clarified that. I meant like a memoir, insider or autobiography.

Alright, Moneyball would be perfect then, whether you like baseball or not.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby bagobonez » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:08 am

Jason Elam co-wrote a fiction novel with someone that looked pretty interesting. Can't remember the name of it.

My favorite sports book is the fiction novel I wrote. That's right! It's called 4th Down and Life. One of these days I intend to get it online so people can read it. It's a solid 4 hour read.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby kyguy78 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 6:52 am

Pistol: The Life of Pete Maravich is one of the best sport's biographies I've ever read.

"Just when you think you know the answers, I change the questions!"
kyguy78
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby biju » Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:51 pm

bagobonez wrote:Jason Elam co-wrote a fiction novel with someone that looked pretty interesting. Can't remember the name of it.

My favorite sports book is the fiction novel I wrote. That's right! It's called 4th Down and Life. One of these days I intend to get it online so people can read it. It's a solid 4 hour read.

Monday Night Jihad

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1414317301
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:45 pm

I agree with Moneyball, which is one of my favorite books. If you are looking for something less mainstream, you could try The Last Amateurs.

If you want something football related, Next Man Up is pretty good.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:27 pm

You guys rock. Just today, I received "Game of Shadows" and "Moneyball." Both should be great additions to my library. "Moneyball" is a book I've always considered picking up, especially since I'm from the Bay Area. Should be a great read. I'm going to start off with "Game of Shadows", having just finished reading "Juiced" by Jose Canseco. I feel I should educate myself just a bit more about the steroids scandal, seeing as how my friends love to talk about it so much. Hopefully, I'll gain a bit more insight about Bonds, BALCO and the steroid era in general.
;-D
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:35 pm

Dr. Duran Duran wrote:You guys rock. Just today, I received "Game of Shadows" and "Moneyball." Both should be great additions to my library. "Moneyball" is a book I've always considered picking up, especially since I'm from the Bay Area. Should be a great read. I'm going to start off with "Game of Shadows", having just finished reading "Juiced" by Jose Canseco. I feel I should educate myself just a bit more about the steroids scandal, seeing as how my friends love to talk about it so much. Hopefully, I'll gain a bit more insight about Bonds, BALCO and the steroid era in general.
;-D

Very cool! What'd you think of Juiced?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mad hatter » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:11 am

the mgm grand has a nice sports book. online i like sportsfanatik.com :-B :-b
We must not confuse dissent from disloyalty. We will not walk in fear, one of another, we will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.

my words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout
i may make you feel -- but i can't make you think
mad hatter
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: Constantly overstimulated, yet simulatneously underwhelmed.

Postby Dr. Duran Duran » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:54 am

FantasyMan13 wrote:
Dr. Duran Duran wrote:You guys rock. Just today, I received "Game of Shadows" and "Moneyball." Both should be great additions to my library. "Moneyball" is a book I've always considered picking up, especially since I'm from the Bay Area. Should be a great read. I'm going to start off with "Game of Shadows", having just finished reading "Juiced" by Jose Canseco. I feel I should educate myself just a bit more about the steroids scandal, seeing as how my friends love to talk about it so much. Hopefully, I'll gain a bit more insight about Bonds, BALCO and the steroid era in general.
;-D

Very cool! What'd you think of Juiced?

"Juiced" was perhaps the quickest read of my life. Read it in one day and I have to say, for all the crap the Jose Canseco gets for being a bit of an oddball, he certainly doesn't seem far off the mark when it comes to steroid use in baseball. Whether it's the players he's referring to in the book or the reasons for why a lot of the people he associated with juiced up, he's sounds pretty accurate considering how today's events are panning out. A lot of things that are transpiring right now, he talked about quite a bit back in 2005 when he wrote his memoirs and it certainly lends to his credibility on the matter.

He says he roided up to become a better ballplayer from a very early age (minor leagues) and he's very candid, saying that his entire career was thanks in part to steroid use. He admits that he had ability but couldn't have made the impression that he did without juicing up to a larger and more formidilble size. Though I'm not condoning steroids, in his defense, he seems to have a tremendous amount of knowledge concerning the proper was to use chemicals that can alter your body. It's really one of the better sports books I've read, but you do have to take some of the things he says with a grain of salt. "Juiced" inspired me to read "Game of Shadows", which I'm reading right now.
Dr. Duran Duran
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterTrivia Time Trial ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:18 pm

I know it's not exactly what you're looking for, but Baseball Between the Numbers is awesome. I read some of it in like October and just got it back out from the library. It's by the Baseball Prospectus guys.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to General Talk