Eagles Cut Takeo Spikes - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Eagles Cut Takeo Spikes

Moderator: Football Moderators

Eagles Cut Takeo Spikes

Postby eaglesfan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:01 pm

Don't have a link yet, but they get another 5 Million back on the cap.
Eagles release LB Takeo Spikes

Eagles released LB Takeo Spikes.

This is a sudden change from their previous public stance that Spikes would return. The former Bengal and Bill is recovering from torn rotator cuff surgery and has been an average player since tearing his Achilles a few years back. Omar Gaither could move to the outside now. Mar. 6 - 3:08 pm et
Source: PhiladelphiaEagles.com
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Eagles Cut Takeo Spikes

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:22 pm

Eagles Part Ways With Veteran LB Spikes

March 6, 2008 | Last Updated: 3/6/08 3:13 PM ET | Comments (0)
By: CHRIS McPHERSON

* 2008 Free Agency Coverage

The Eagles announced on Thursday that they have released veteran weakside linebacker Takeo Spikes.

A 10-year NFL veteran, Spikes spent the 2007 season with the Eagles and finished second on the team with 139 tackles and also had one sack in 14 games. Spikes missed the final two games of the season after he was placed on the injured reserve list with a torn rotator cuff. The Eagles have some experience on the weak side with Omar Gaither and Akeem Jordan. Gaither started seven total games (five regular season, two postseason) during his rookie year in 2006 on the weak side before starting all 16 games at middle linebacker in 2007. A rookie free agent in 2007, Jordan started the final game of the season against Buffalo at weakside linebacker.

A two-time Pro Bowl selection and one of the top playmaking linebackers in recent NFL history, Spikes joined the Eagles on March 26, 2007, in a three-player trade with the Buffalo Bills. Takeo, which means "great warrior" in Japanese, was a first round draft choice of Cincinnati in 1998 and spent his first five NFL campaigns with the Bengals before signing with the Bills in 2003.

Known for making "disruptive plays" (forced fumbles and interceptions), Spikes has created 26 total in his career. In 2007, Spikes registered 100-or-more tackles for the eighth time in his career. He went to the Pro Bowl following the 2003 and 2004 seasons with the Bills.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/ ... Y_ID=15199
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:45 pm

Used to be one of my favorite players. He should be able to sign somewhere.
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby thriftyrocker » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:56 pm

Clearing cap space for what reason ? :-?
thriftyrocker

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 2)

Postby m16a » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:00 pm

thriftyrocker wrote:Clearing cap space for what reason ? :-?

To make a splashing WR acquisition. All signs are pointing to it. Now they can draft connors for the MLB.
Props to Deluxe for the sig
There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.
- Goethe
m16a

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 37)

Postby eaglesrule » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:16 pm

They HAVE to have a plan. I know I am biased, but for all of my complaints about the reid/banner administration, one thing is for sure they know how to manager their funds/roster and they always have specific plans to execute in the off-season. They aren't always dead on, but they are very good overall at what they do.

Since they have basically only three or so roster spots not under contract from what I understand, this tells me they are either clearing space (they didn't REALLY need to do so, since they were still under with Samuel signing, and the cap is due to increase next year anyway), or they are clearing space in such a way to facilitate a trade where they get two guys back, kind of like the Buffalo trade they did last year.

Honestly, I liked Spikes and all, and considering how bad the Eagles Linebackers have been historically under Reid and Jimmy Johnson, I'm not that pleased. That being said, the young guys seem good, and maybe what they do is trade lito, their first and a third, and are looking to draft a replacement this year?
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eaglesfan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 4:32 pm

Can I get a figure at where we stand right now cap room wise?
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Amazinz » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:22 pm

Around $25M. You can look at EaglesCap.com to see a breakdown. It's a fan-run site so probably not perfect but close enough for our purposes. I really don't think the Spikes cut indicates a big acquisition. Not to say that they won't but they didn't need the room to do it (unless maybe they are restructuring Westbrook's contract as well.) My guess is that they felt Spikes was overpaid. Kirwan seems to think Spikes will re-sign with them at a reduced rate. Although there's talk of starting Bradley and moving Gaither, right?

Anyway, depending on how cheap he'd be, I'd like to see the Giants give Spikes a look. He could have some success behind the Giants DL and would give them some insurance against Wilkerson not maturing like they (apparently) expect.
Amazinz
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eaglesfan » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:39 pm

Amazinz wrote:Around $25M. You can look at EaglesCap.com to see a breakdown. It's a fan-run site so probably not perfect but close enough for our purposes. I really don't think the Spikes cut indicates a big acquisition. Not to say that they won't but they didn't need the room to do it (unless maybe they are restructuring Westbrook's contract as well.) My guess is that they felt Spikes was overpaid. Kirwan seems to think Spikes will re-sign with them at a reduced rate. Although there's talk of starting Bradley and moving Gaither, right?

Anyway, depending on how cheap he'd be, I'd like to see the Giants give Spikes a look. He could have some success behind the Giants DL and would give them some insurance against Wilkerson not maturing like they (apparently) expect.

Thanks for the site, I will check it out. ;-D

Spikes was just on the radio and he said that he was the Eagles approached him about taking a pay cut, he said he would within reason. Im guessing there number was obviously lower then his. They were trying to trade him since friday, when this all happened but no luck. So he asked for his release which they gave. He went on to praise the management, and continued to thank them for giving him his release early so he could still sign with a team for some good money. So the bridges are definately not burned. He also went on to say that the coaches told him they were comfortable with going with the young guys next year. All indications are that Bradley will play the middle and Gaither move to the outside.

He went on to say that playing for a contender was important, but the money had to be right as well. I'd expect The Giants to take a run at him.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker