Dominic Rhodes restructures to stay with Raiders - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Dominic Rhodes restructures to stay with Raiders

Moderator: Football Moderators

Dominic Rhodes restructures to stay with Raiders

Postby mattb47 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:07 pm

Rhodes, Green return

By Jerry McDonald - NFL Writer
Wednesday, March 5th, 2008 at 6:21 pm in Oakland Raiders.

Running back Dominic Rhodes agreed to a restructured contract which dropped his salary from $3 million to $1.75 million.

Rhodes was also scheduled to receive a $2 million roster bonus Friday, and it is a safe bet that he agreed to take much less. The Raiders reduced the salary of LaMont Jordan in a similar fashion last season.

In his final two games in relief of an injured Justin Fargas, Rhodes ran for 337 yards on 56 carries against Jacksonville and San Diego, a pair of playoff caliber defenses.

Rhodes missed the first four games of the 2007 season for being in violation of the NFL’s substance abuse policy _ a pending suspension the Raiders knew was a possibility when they signed him.

By the time he returned, Jordan had injured his back but Fargas had caught the eye of the coaching staff and eventually became the starter and featured back.

Getting Rhodes to return serves as insurance in case Michael Bush, the 2007 fourth-round pick who missed the entire season recovering from a broken ankle (correction _ leg) doesn’t develop as hoped. The organization has high hopes for Bush’s skill set and size, however he remains an unknown quantity until he actually plays in an NFL game.

Assuming they don’t make a deal before draft day, it also makes for an interesting situation if Darren McFadden were to be available when the Raiders pick at No. 4. With Fargas, Bush and Rhodes, taking McFadden would seem to be a an unnecessary luxury unless they’re convinced he’s a once-in-a-decade talent.

Miami, picking at No. 1, has Ronnie Brown as its lead back. St. Louis, which picks second, is secure with Steven Jackson. Atlanta, which won a coin flip against Oakland for No. 3, recently signed free agent Michael Turner.

The Raiders, whose M.O. is usually to trade up rather than down, could be in prime position to make a deal for an established player, extra picks or both.

Word is the Raiders have also agreed to terms with offensive tackle Cornell Green on a two-year contract. Green had a career-high 10 starts last season before sustaining a knee injury and surrendering the right tackle spot to Paul McQuistan.

Makes it probably just a little less likely that McFadden will be drafted by the Raiders....it does make the backfield just a bit more crowded though as far as what the split will likely be.
mattb47
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dominic Rhodes restructures to stay with Raiders

Postby deluxe_247 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:17 pm

just when i start to think im getting an idea of how the first part of the draft will go...stuff like this happens. honestly i think the raiders shouldnt have given fargas the contract and went more in the direction of michael bush(who im pretty high on)/mcfadden...but hey, thats the raiders for you.

so with the falcons getting turner...and the chiefs already having lj...mcfadden could be falling all the way to the jets 8-o . im really starting to think someone in the top 5...specifically the falcons...will trade down to someone who wants mcfadden.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:24 pm

deluxe_247 wrote:just when i start to think im getting an idea of how the first part of the draft will go...stuff like this happens. honestly i think the raiders shouldnt have given fargas the contract and went more in the direction of michael bush(who im pretty high on)/mcfadden...but hey, thats the raiders for you.

so with the falcons getting turner...and the chiefs already having lj...mcfadden could be falling all the way to the jets 8-o . im really starting to think someone in the top 5...specifically the falcons...will trade down to someone who wants mcfadden.

You're correct; logically, the Raiders shouldn't take McFadden.

Then again, logically, Javon Walker isn't as valuable as Randy Moss.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Kilroy » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:50 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:
deluxe_247 wrote:just when i start to think im getting an idea of how the first part of the draft will go...stuff like this happens. honestly i think the raiders shouldnt have given fargas the contract and went more in the direction of michael bush(who im pretty high on)/mcfadden...but hey, thats the raiders for you.

You're correct; logically, the Raiders shouldn't take McFadden.

Then again, logically, Javon Walker isn't as valuable as Randy Moss.

Agreed. I'd think the Raiders would be better served taking a Lineman (Offensive or Defensive) than another Back, but that almost insures that they will, in fact, take McFadden.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby moochman » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:20 am

Sounds like the Raiders still remember the Roided up Rhodes and Rhodes still wants a paycheck. This sets up the Raides very nicely for picking McFaddy.

Rhodes is driving on empty
Fargas has a short shelf-life due to injuries
But they should have a nice backfield with McFaddy and Bush. They would seem to compliment eachother well.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Return to Football Talk