Golfer charged with killing bird with ball - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Golfer charged with killing bird with ball

Moderator: Football Moderators

Golfer charged with killing bird with ball

Postby sox 06 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:09 am

ORLANDO, Fla. -- PGA Tour player Tripp Isenhour was charged with killing a hawk on purpose with a golf shot because it was making noise as he videotaped a TV show.

Isenhour was with a film crew for "Shoot Like A Pro" on Dec. 12 at the Grand Cypress Golf course. The 39-year-old player, whose real name is John Henry Isenhour III, was charged Wednesday with cruelty to animals and killing a migratory bird.

The charges carry a maximum penalty of 14 months in jail and $1,500 in fines.

Isenhour apologized in a statement and said he was only trying to scare the hawk away.

According to court documents, Isenhour got upset when a red-shouldered hawk began making noise, forcing another take. He began hitting balls at the bird, then 300 yards away, but gave up. Isenhour started again when the hawk moved within about 75 yards, Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officer Brian Baine indicated in a report.

Isenhour allegedly said "I'll get him now," and aimed for the hawk.

"About the sixth ball came very near the bird's head, and [Isenhour] was very excited that it was so close," Baine wrote.

A few shots later, witnesses said he hit the hawk. The bird, protected as a migratory species, fell to the ground bleeding from both nostrils.

"As soon as this happened, I was mortified and extremely upset and continue to be upset," Isenhour said in a statement issued through his management company, SFX Golf. "I want to let everyone know there was neither any malice nor deliberate intent whatsoever to hit or harm the hawk. I was trying to simply scare it into flying away."

Isenhour said his family has adopted three cats from a local shelter.

"I am an animal lover," he said. "We ask that everyone accept my sincerest apology, and please be respectful of my family's privacy."

Humane Society executive vice president Michael Markarian said Isenhour should face charges.

"Americans have no tolerance for cruelty to animals. Such a petty, mean-spirited act against a wild bird is inexcusable and prosecutors are right to hold Isenhour accountable to the law," he said in a statement released Thursday.

Isenhour has spent two full years on the PGA Tour, both times failing to keep his card. He has won four times on the Nationwide Tour, including twice in 2006.

"He just kept saying how he didn't think he could have hit it, which I think is a stupid thing for a PGA Tour golfer to say," said Jethro Senger, a sound engineer at the shoot. "He can put a ball in a hole from hundreds of yards away, and here he is hitting line drives at something that's, I don't know, a couple hundred feet away?"

Senger said it was "basically like a joke to [Isenhour]." He said no one in the roughly 15-person crew intervened, and many later regretted it.

"It was one of those cases where there's some trepidation on whether or not they should speak up and do something," Senger said.

Senger said the killing was not captured on video. The bird was buried at the golf course and later dug up by Florida investigators.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Golfer charged with killing bird with ball

Postby josebach » Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:14 am

What a moron. Not so much that he killed the bird that was pissing him off, although that was wrong too, but rather because he did it in front of so many people. Talk about poor judgement.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mad hatter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:21 am

he shouldn't have been standing there. /happy gilmore
and lmao at blood coming out a bird's nostrils.
We must not confuse dissent from disloyalty. We will not walk in fear, one of another, we will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.

my words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout
i may make you feel -- but i can't make you think
mad hatter
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: Constantly overstimulated, yet simulatneously underwhelmed.

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:26 am

Saw this on the bottomline yesterday watching the baseball game. Completely agree with Jose on this one. He gets what he deserves simply for being such a damn moron.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:26 am

mad hatter wrote:and lmao at blood coming out a bird's nostrils.

for sure

but seriously... this dude is an idiot... i can't believe the 15 people in his crew weren't stopping him... afraid of being fired or just figured he wouldn't hit it...

also, why didn't the bird fly when the ball flew by the bird's head?
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:29 am

treat24 wrote:

yeah, stupid bird. :-B
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby mad hatter » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:32 am

RiffRaff wrote:
treat24 wrote:

there is probably a good reason that bird is "endangered"
We must not confuse dissent from disloyalty. We will not walk in fear, one of another, we will not be driven by fear into an age of unreason.

my words but a whisper -- your deafness a shout
i may make you feel -- but i can't make you think
mad hatter
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Location: Constantly overstimulated, yet simulatneously underwhelmed.

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:33 am

RiffRaff wrote:
treat24 wrote:

reminds me of seinfeld... george vs the pigeons... we had a deal! we look the other way on the crapping on monuments... you move when we are coming...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby scottaa1 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:34 am

This is funny along the lines of the soldier who threw the puppy off a cliff.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 13)

Postby deerayfan072 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:36 am

something similar happened to a Rays pitcher two years ago. when he was with the Cubs he threw a ball a bird and killed it because he was showing off how hard he could throw. He got the same punishment I believe. Funny thing is the bird must have moved because this guy could not hit it if he was aiming at it
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk