I don't suppose anyone here knows about hot water heaters? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

I don't suppose anyone here knows about hot water heaters?

Moderator: Football Moderators

I don't suppose anyone here knows about hot water heaters?

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:30 am

I started having problems with my hot water heater a month or so ago. Basically, the hot water would just run out much more quickly than before. I had someone out to look at it and they tried replacing the thermostats and it only made things worse. The tank was about 20 years old so I just went ahead and replaced it with a (slightly larger) tank.

However, my problems now are still worse than they were before. Basically, in order to get the water hot enough to take a shower (and I don't take really hot showers) I have to turn the knob about 80% of the way towards the hot side, whereas before I only had to turn it about 50% of the way. Then, once it's there, the temperature only stats constant for about 2 minutes until it starts getting cold and I have to turn the knob further towards hot. Needless to say, I hit the end fairly quickly and spend most of my shower in lukewarm (at best) water. With my old hot water heater (and every one I've ever used before), the water temperature would stay constant for about 15-20 minutes before I would have to adjust the knob at all if it took that long (this was pre-problem). The new tank is also 10 gallons larger than the old one, so it doesn't make sense to me that it would produce so much less hot water.

I checked the thermostats and they were set on 115, which seems low compared to what I've read online. I cranked both thermostats up to 135 and it helped a little bit, but not much. I know when I call them they're going to give me the "well sir it's only a 40 gallon tank it's not going to give you hot water for an hour" run-around, so I was wondering if any of the knowledgeable folks around here had any insight on the matter?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: I don't suppose anyone here knows about hot water heater pro

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:55 am

I have a water heater... don't know why you need to heat "hot water" ... hehe ... I'm just kidding... I just find it's funny whenever people use the term "hot water heater" instead of "water heater" it just seems silly to me and makes me giggle a little.

To answer your question though... If it's not the thermostat... are you having pilot light problems with it? The pilot light could be going on and off causing the water to cool...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: I don't suppose anyone here knows about hot water heaters?

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:08 am

Is it an electric or gas water heater?
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby RiffRaff » Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:11 am

If it is a gas water heater it may be as simple as taking some steel wool and sanding the crud off the heating element. ;-D I have a water heater that is less than 10 years old, but I have stupid cats and that crap gets on the heating element and I've had to scrub that thing a couple of times.

Give me the sequence of blinking lights on the unit and the model number. That could tell me what is wrong also.
The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:04 pm

Get a new water heater. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby deluxe_247 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:14 pm

treat said what i was thinking...the pilot light can be an issue. happened to one of my friends last month.
deluxe_247
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerBig Sig ChampionMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:17 pm

It is an electric heater.

What is a pilot light?
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Metroid » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:19 pm

Free Bagel wrote:It is an electric heater.

What is a pilot light?

If it was gas it would have a small little flame under it called a pilot light that ignites a larger flame or heating element which heats the water. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby treat24 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:59 pm

Free Bagel wrote:It is an electric heater.

RiffRaff wrote:If it is a gas water heater it may be as simple as taking some steel wool and sanding the crud off the heating element. ;-D I have a water heater that is less than 10 years old, but I have stupid cats and that crap gets on the heating element and I've had to scrub that thing a couple of times.

Give me the sequence of blinking lights on the unit and the model number. That could tell me what is wrong also.

I'd talk to raff about it then since he has an electric...
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby knapplc » Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:38 pm

Bagel, what do you mean when you say you replaced the tank with a larger tank? Did you replace the old, malfunctioning heater with a new (or new to you) heater? If you did, and you're still having the same problem, that wouldn't be the water heater causing the issue.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk