2008 March Madness! - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008 March Madness!

Moderator: Football Moderators

2008 March Madness!

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:45 pm

I Love this time of year! Not having a job that requires I leave the house makes it even better. ;-D

Just watched Nova get blown out by Georgetown and Texas Tech flail in the final seconds to Oklahoma St. Uconn/WVU is on right now and a slew of Pac-10 tourney games later today...did I mention I love this time of year? B-)
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye
Home Cafe: Football

Re: 2008 March Madness!

Postby BlueBandit24 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:10 pm

A couple of great games today. The North Carolina-Clemson and Kansas-Texas tilts were both very entertaining. Looking forward to the selection show later. ;-D
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:54 pm

BlueBandit24 wrote:A couple of great games today. The North Carolina-Clemson and Kansas-Texas tilts were both very entertaining. Looking forward to the selection show later. ;-D

Not to mention the huge upset by Georgia. ;-D

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Metroid » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:46 pm

A Fleshner Fantasy wrote:
BlueBandit24 wrote:A couple of great games today. The North Carolina-Clemson and Kansas-Texas tilts were both very entertaining. Looking forward to the selection show later. ;-D

Not to mention the huge upset by Georgia. ;-D

That was awesome! Time to work on my bracket!!!! ;-D
Metroid

Postby eagles21 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:15 pm

This rules! I love that Temple, St. Joe's and Villanova all got in! Can't wait for the tourny to start. ;-D

Also, the whole thing with Georgia was great. It would be awesome if they brought that momentum into the tournament and beat Xavier. ;-D
eagles21
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:33 pm

eagles21 wrote:This rules! I love that Temple, St. Joe's and Villanova all got in! Can't wait for the tourny to start. ;-D

Also, the whole thing with Georgia was great. It would be awesome if they brought that momentum into the tournament and beat Xavier. ;-D

Yeahhhh they wont...but yes, it would be awesome.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby roninmedia » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Oregon got in? It's a trav-sham-mockery! Va. Tech should have gone in over them. Higher RPI, tougher RPI league, better record. Maybe Oregon will prove me wrong though.
roninmedia
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby PMoneyTKE » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:16 pm

roninmedia wrote:Oregon got in? It's a trav-sham-mockery! Va. Tech should have gone in over them. Higher RPI, tougher RPI league, better record. Maybe Oregon will prove me wrong though.

Eh, there are always going to be good teams that get left out and have a good argument for being in, it happens. Personally I think Arizona State and Dayton were bigger snubs then Va Tech.

Not to mention my school (IUPUI)being left out of the NIT. They had 26 wins including a win against 2nd seeded UMass. But no one cares about the NIT anyway :,-( :-b
Boobies
PMoneyTKE
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:15 pm

roninmedia wrote:Oregon got in? It's a trav-sham-mockery! Va. Tech should have gone in over them. Higher RPI, tougher RPI league, better record. Maybe Oregon will prove me wrong though.

Come on now Oregon and VTech's RPI's are virtually the same: Oregon(58) and VTech(56) also their SOS is virtually the same as well Oregon(37) and VTech(39). And their league RPI is ranked #1 and well the Pac-10 is a close #2. Thats not a very big difference man.

Heres a few reasons directly from the committee chairmans mouth why the Hokies were left out..."The Hokies won only one game against the other teams in the field, over seventh-seeded Miami; they had four losses -- all on the road, against Richmond, Penn State, Old Dominion and North Carolina State -- to teams that ranked below 100 in the RPI; they did not win any nonconference games vs. teams in the RPI top 120; their only win in eight games against teams in the RPI top 50 came Friday against No. 34 Miami in the ACC tournament."

(RPI)
Oregon had quality road wins at Kansas St(50)., at Arizona(39), and at Cal(92). And quality home wins against Utah(96), Cal(92), Stanford(16), Arizona St.(82), and Arizona(39). Oregon's notable bad losses were against Oakland(169), Nebraska(95), and Washington(121). Aside from Arizona St.(82) none of their remaining 9 losses were against teams with an RPI above 36.

V-Tech had 1 quality road win against Maryland(83). And their quality home wins were against Maryland(83), Florida St.(60), Georgia Tech(67), Wake Forest(100) and Miami(35). Tech's notable bad losses were against Penn St.(157), Old Dominion(128), Richmond(120), and NC State(103).
Metroid

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:12 pm

Donovan Takes a Page From Urbans Book

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- When the Florida Gators lost in the first round of the Southeastern Conference tournament, they knew it knocked them out of the NCAA tournament field.

They had no idea it also would get them kicked out of their practice facility.

Coach Billy Donovan, feeling like his players had settled into a state of complacency and entitlement, banned them from Florida's $12 million facility. He also told them they couldn't wear any Florida attire.

"Probably in some respects the confetti is still falling down around them," Donovan said Monday. "When you have great success like we've had I think it's very, very easy to become complacent and to lose sight of how good things are around here and to have an attitude of, 'I'm at Florida. This is just what's going to happen."'

The two-time reigning national champion Gators (21-11) lost eight of their final 11 games, including the last four, and missed out on the NCAA tournament for the first time since 1998. They became the first defending champion to not make it back to the tournament since probation-stricken Kansas in 1989.

Florida settled for a spot in the NIT, where they will host San Diego State on Wednesday night.

The Gators also found themselves fighting to get back into their state-of-the-art facility, which houses the team locker room, the practice court, the video room, the weight room, both national championship trophies and pieces of both floors on which Florida won it all.

Players spent the last four days shuffling between the O'Connell Center practice floor and the antiquated Florida Gym.

"He just wants to teach us a lesson that it takes time to earn stuff," freshman guard Nick Calathes said. "He's really going to make us earn it. I like that. I don't see that as a problem at all. I think it will help us in the long run."

Added freshman Jai Lucas: "When he feels we're ready and playing like the University of Florida should play, then we'll (back) move in."

It might not happen anytime soon.

Football coach Urban Meyer, who has developed a close relationship with Donovan, pulled a similar move in summer 2005. Meyer barred players from the locker room and told them they couldn't wear orange and blue or anything with the Gators logo on it.

He also removed the large replica gator head that was on display between the locker room and Florida Field. Players typically rub the head for good luck before games.

Meyer's players responded by winning nine games for the first time in four years. They won the national title the following season.

Donovan can only hope for similar results from a team he has criticized for not having enough dedication, passion to win and willingness to play defense.

"One of the things that creates a tremendous level of complacency in anybody is after something very, very big happens," said Donovan, who has used motivational tactics extensively in recent years. "It's very easy to have a letdown. It's not these guys' fault. They walked into this. They walked into what happened.

"They got a facility that the administration has invested a lot in. It's one of the best in the country. They've got a massage therapist to make sure they're OK after games. They've got a private plane that they take to games. The meals that they eat. All those things, these guys came here and went right to the penthouse."

Calathes and Lucas acknowledged that players felt a sense of entitlement during this season. They also echoed Donovan's remarks that none of the players knew what it took to win at the college level or what they needed to do every day in practice to make the NCAA tournament.

Now, Donovan hopes missing the tournament -- they actually practiced during the selection show since there was no reason to watch -- will prove to be a humbling experience that will pay off down the road.

Kicking them out of the locker room could help, too.

"I think we're going to have this taste in our mouths all the way until we make the NCAA tournament," Lucas said. "This is something that will never leave us. This pain is unbearable. If this doesn't (motivate us), I don't know what will. This might be one of the worst things that could happen to the team."
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Next

Return to College Football