Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Tropic Thunder

Postby statsman88 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:55 pm

I just don't see anything funny about this, I watched the trailer and it was stupid (no offense to anyone that posted the trailers)

I also think its a bit offensive to people that served in wars to be doing a movie like this, but maybe thats just me :-? I dunno, to me its just one of those topics that you don't make fun of
statsman88
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:41 pm

There are movies that make fun of everything.

Suck it up princess.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:50 am

statsman88 wrote:I just don't see anything funny about this, I watched the trailer and it was stupid (no offense to anyone that posted the trailers)

I also think its a bit offensive to people that served in wars to be doing a movie like this, but maybe thats just me :-? I dunno, to me its just one of those topics that you don't make fun of

There have been war-time comedies around ever since movies were being made. Abbot & Costello, The Three Stooges, etc. Sometimes I wonder if everybody's first reaction to everything is trying to see if they can find a group that would be offended about it.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby wake » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:20 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
statsman88 wrote:I just don't see anything funny about this, I watched the trailer and it was stupid (no offense to anyone that posted the trailers)

There have been war-time comedies around ever since movies were being made. Abbot & Costello, The Three Stooges, etc. Sometimes I wonder if everybody's first reaction to everything is trying to see if they can find a group that would be offended about it.

It's funny the discussion of this movie turned to this topic. There was a thread about this movie on the dark side about whether or not it was offensive that Robert Downey Jr painted his face black.
wake
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Jimboozie » Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:40 am

wake wrote:It's funny the discussion of this movie turned to this topic. There was a thread about this movie on the dark side about whether or not it was offensive that Robert Downey Jr painted his face black.

It's only offensive to black actors who wanted the role.
Jimboozie Beginner
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:36 am

Jimboozie wrote:
wake wrote:It's funny the discussion of this movie turned to this topic. There was a thread about this movie on the dark side about whether or not it was offensive that Robert Downey Jr painted his face black.

It's only offensive to black actors who wanted the role.

Turns out the role RDjr. has is that of a White actor trying to get a gig as a Black actor. So he's cast to race, I suppose.

This isn't as heinous as Black Face, just some plot device that they're trying to make for absurd comedy.

It's best to reserve judgment until someone actually sees the movie. It could be no big deal.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:21 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:

Yeah lighten up bro. So you got something against M*A*S*H* too? How bout Hogans Heros? Good Morning Vietnam must really push your buttons. My dad is a veteran of WWII, Korea, and Vietnam and he loves all those shows, if they don't bother him they shouldn't bother you. ;-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:24 am

knapplc wrote:Turns out the role RDjr. has is that of a White actor trying to get a gig as a Black actor. So he's cast to race, I suppose.

Yeah, after I read that I failed to see what the big deal was at all.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Metroid » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:31 am

josebach wrote:
knapplc wrote:Turns out the role RDjr. has is that of a White actor trying to get a gig as a Black actor. So he's cast to race, I suppose.

Yeah, after I read that I failed to see what the big deal was at all.

Remember Soul Man? :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk