Need car help - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

Need car help

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Need car help

Postby The_Captain » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:01 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:Ah, so gas/insurance/monthly payment is all out of your pocket. Do you have a target price range? Prefer coupe/sedan?

Metroid probly has an Impala to sell ya. I hear he wants to free up a spot in the garage. ;-)

:-b

Yeah, price is a concern. I think about $6000-7000 is the most I'd wanna go. Most likely coupe, but could go either way.

Honda Accord or Civic, Toyota Corolla....something along those lines?

"This is your captain calling--with an urgent warning" - The The
The_Captain
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:58 pm

Metroid wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:Metroid probly has an Impala to sell ya. I hear he wants to free up a spot in the garage. ;-)

Ha....yeah I don't think so. Heres a black SS like mine...just needs some wheels. Or this gorgeous blue convertible. Seriously though do you even wany American muscle? Are you looking for a project or something already done? Your price range kinda puts you in the "project" area. :-?

Project would be fun and cheaper, so probably more along those lines. Minimum wage= :-P
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:02 pm

Cowboys 4 life wrote:I used to have a 93 Z28 that ran 13.9's in the quarter with a K&N CAI and gear (3:73's). It was an automatic and it Owned most mustangs it ran up against. Just about any year GT, Cobras up to 2001, 5-slows, you name it. When I ran into something a bit over my head. NO PROBLEM! I had a 175 shot of nitrous that brought the quarter down to the low 12's. Hide the noid in the bumper. Run the lines up the CAI and into the throttle body. Better Fuel pump to handle the increase in Fuel. Insulated Gym bag behind the seat with the bottle in it worked well as a bottle heater. Answer: What Nitrous? You Lose!

You can get a 93-95 LT-1 for in the $3000-$4000 range. Add another grand and you can get a LS-1 (98 is the earliest year). They may not sell like the Mustangs but they beat them. Trust me. ;-D

My Z was real cheap on insurance for some reason to.

I understood all of that :-b

But seriously, I'll check those out. Thanks a lot ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FantasyMan13 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:03 pm

The_Captain wrote:
FantasyMan13 wrote:
scottaa1 wrote:Ah, so gas/insurance/monthly payment is all out of your pocket. Do you have a target price range? Prefer coupe/sedan?

Metroid probly has an Impala to sell ya. I hear he wants to free up a spot in the garage. ;-)

:-b

Yeah, price is a concern. I think about $6000-7000 is the most I'd wanna go. Most likely coupe, but could go either way.

Honda Accord or Civic, Toyota Corolla....something along those lines?

Yeah, Civics are pretty popular at my school, Ill check those out too. Thanks ;-D
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bagobonez » Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:42 pm

I would definitely go with a Honda... or if you can find one that's reasonably priced, an Acura. They will outlast American made cars by quite a bit. Much more dependable. BUt I'm the kind of guy that looks into fuel mileage and how dependable a car is long before I look into how popular or sporty they are. I'd drive the ugliest car on the road if it got the best gas mileage and was the most dependable.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Metroid » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:02 am

bagobonez wrote:I would definitely go with a Honda... or if you can find one that's reasonably priced, an Acura. They will outlast American made cars by quite a bit. Much more dependable. BUt I'm the kind of guy that looks into fuel mileage and how dependable a car is long before I look into how popular or sporty they are. I'd drive the ugliest car on the road if it got the best gas mileage and was the most dependable.

Yup gas mileage should be a big factor when you pick a first car as well as dependability. Honda's, Acura's, and Subaru's get very good gas mileage and are very dependable. It is true that foreign cars can outlast American made cars but if you properly maintain your vehicle an American car can last just as long. My Impala is over 40 years old and it's still running on pretty much the same 327 engine and 3 speed powerglide transmission. My buddy bought it from a little old lady about 16 years ago and put a bigger carb on it(too big)and rebuilt the heads(didn't need to though) and thats about it. I bought it from him about 13/14 years ago and in the time I've owned it the only thing I have replaced is the starter once and swapped out the carb for a smaller one and also replaced the distributer. Of course cosmetically it's changed a lot but other than regular oil changes, spark plugs and tires its the same car as when it rolled of the assembly line in 1967. For a big boat of a car it gets decent gas mileage too, around 16 to 18 miles per gallon. :-D
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby knapplc » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:09 am

The biggest single factor to consider in getting a sports car is color. It's scientifically proven that red cars go faster (due to Doppler Shift), so you HAVE to get a red car. Red adds something like 5mph to any car. Seriously.

After that, make sure it either comes with big sports fins on the back or you can easily add the fins. Without fins you're just going to fly right off the road, especially if you get a red car. You may be able to get by without a fin if you go with yellow or white, but definitely not if you get red or black. If you get blue you won't need anything. Blue is the slowest color there is in a car.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Metroid » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:14 am

knapplc wrote:The biggest single factor to consider in getting a sports car is color. It's scientifically proven that red cars go faster (due to Doppler Shift), so you HAVE to get a red car. Red adds something like 5mph to any car. Seriously.

After that, make sure it either comes with big sports fins on the back or you can easily add the fins. Without fins you're just going to fly right off the road, especially if you get a red car. You may be able to get by without a fin if you go with yellow or white, but definitely not if you get red or black. If you get blue you won't need anything. Blue is the slowest color there is in a car.

LOL you're a goof. :-b
Metroid

ModeratorCafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle Eye

Postby josebach » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 am

All good points, Knapp!!! ;-D Also, a spoiler is EXTREMELY important. The bigger it is, the better. Don't worry about the added weight. Weight means nothing in how fast a car can go. It's all about the aerodynamics. Take this car for example... it ran a 3.5 quarter mile and the only thing not stock were the paint, turbo hubcaps and spoiler.
josebach
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby scottaa1 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:29 am

knapplc wrote:The biggest single factor to consider in getting a sports car is color.

Let's not forget placement and number of cup holders.
Thanks Chaoyi Shih for the sig.
scottaa1
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk