Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Did You Know?

Postby joelamosobadiah » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:13 pm

Did you know....

I have never so much have seen lawn darts much less played them. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Venom » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:21 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:Did you know....

Neither I.

I am assuming its like regular darts but you throw like horseshoes.
Venom
Head Coach
Head Coach

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 47)

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:05 pm

Venom wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:Did you know....

Neither I.

I am assuming its like regular darts but you throw like horseshoes.

It's a lot like horseshoes. Pretty fun. I love lawn games. ;-D

This picture was funny...

They're supposedly illegal in the US according to this website.

Lawn Darts - Banned From Sale in the United States

While the tips of garden darts may not be sharp enough to be obviously dangerous, when misused, lawn darts can cause skull punctures and other serious injuries.

On December 19, 1988, all lawn darts were banned from sale in the United States by the Consumer Product Safety Commission. Lawn darts, used in an outdoor game, have been responsible for the deaths of four children, the latest being in early 1997 near Elkhart, Indiana. It should be noted that the specific incident that caused lawn darts to be made illegal also involved beer, and that, when engaged in responsibly, the recreational use of lawn darts is less dangerous than baseball.

Lawn darts remain legal for use in the United Kingdom as well as other countries.

The Consumer Product Safety Commission urges parents to discard or destroy all lawn darts immediately. Lawn darts should not be given away since they may be of harm to others.

Consumers who find lawn darts still being sold, should contact the Consumer Product Safety Commission on the toll free hotline: 1-800-638-CPSC (2772). A teletypewriter for the hearing impaired is available at 1-800-638-8270. Consumers also may write to: Compliance, Consumer Product Safety Commission, Washington, D.C. 20207.

Lawn-Darts.com

Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 am

The ban on lawn darts is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I played lawn darts just about every summer day when I was a kid (this was before cable TV and the Internet). We never even came close to being injured, and we were under 10 years old.

If I swing a croquet mallet like a club I could easily kill a kid. Are we going to ban them, too? It's just preposterous. :-t :-t :-t
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:23 am

knapplc wrote:The ban on lawn darts is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I played lawn darts just about every summer day when I was a kid (this was before cable TV and the Internet). We never even came close to being injured, and we were under 10 years old.

If I swing a croquet mallet like a club I could easily kill a kid. Are we going to ban them, too? It's just preposterous. :-t :-t :-t

And Bocce Ball too. I've come close to killing quite a few of my friends and family with those things. Horseshoes, while we're at it. Can you imagine the damage they can have on a child's skull? I've heard of people getting hurt playing around volleyball nets as well. Come to think of it, I've seen children run on grass, fall down and get hurt. I think we should all just stay indoors and away from the scary outside world.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:41 pm

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
knapplc wrote:The ban on lawn darts is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen. I played lawn darts just about every summer day when I was a kid (this was before cable TV and the Internet). We never even came close to being injured, and we were under 10 years old.

And Bocce Ball too. I've come close to killing quite a few of my friends and family with those things. Horseshoes, while we're at it. Can you imagine the damage they can have on a child's skull? I've heard of people getting hurt playing around volleyball nets as well. Come to think of it, I've seen children run on grass, fall down and get hurt. I think we should all just stay indoors and away from the scary outside world.

but then i might get Game Boy Tendonitis
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:21 pm

What grosses you out? How about this:

• Attila the Hun died from drowning in his own nosebleed.
• The best recorded distance for projectile vomiting is 27 ft.
• One pound of peanut butter can contain up to 150 bug fragments and five rodent hairs.

Source:

NB: The book appears to be British - I think their peanut butter is a lot dirtier than ours (maybe that's why their puke travels 27 ft).
:-B :-b
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:33 pm

Lawn darts are considered too dangerous but handguns & assault rifles aren't??? :-? :-B

Funny how lawmakers' minds work!

Exactly 3 people were killed playing lawn darts!!! :-?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby knapplc » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:05 pm

stomperrob wrote:

Lawn darts are considered too dangerous but handguns & assault rifles aren't??? :-? :-B

Funny how lawmakers' minds work!

Exactly 3 people were killed playing lawn darts!!! :-?

That's our Second Amendment in action. I agree with the Second Amendment (within reason) but I most certainly do not agree with this ridiculous ban on lawn darts. :-°
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby RiffRaff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Screw the lawn darts. Play Road Kill Darts ;-D

The Eagles rule, the Viqueens drool.
E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES, EAGLES, EAGLES
RiffRaff
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerPick 3 ChampionCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: Big Old 0 for the Grill-0- Meter. Minnesota Weather Sucks