WWE-Anyone a Fan? - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to General Talk

WWE-Anyone a Fan?

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: WWE-Anyone a Fan?

Postby Madison » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:51 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:True, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't make it believable that Punk can beat Batista. For example, when Samoa Joe had a best of three series against CM Punk in ROH. Joe weighs about the same as Batista albeit the latter being taller and well, more built, but the ring psychology for each Punk/Joe match was sensational and fairly true to form (i.e. Punk concentrating on kicking Joe's legs to knock him off balance). Granted, each of those matches had a 60 minute time limit in mind, they told a good story and I'm sure such a story could compute with Punk and Batista in WWE.

However, I'd say Punk is a better fit in TNA because he's not quite as credible in the ring if he didn't get his stiff spots in. Same thing goes for Bryan Danielson because his submission work on a much bigger athlete might be perceived as too incredible in the WWE.

Joe isn't Batista though. Quite a difference in the build of those two guys. :-o I'm not impressed by Joe, but in TNA, he can be a reasonable champ for awhile.

And true, WWE doesn't give as much time for actual wrestling, which can/does hurt them in some cases. ;-D

The Artful Dodger wrote:For the foreseeable future, I can't see Cena turning heel given that he's still moderately marketable even if he never reaches "Rock status".

I happened to catch JBL/Cena's Great American Bash match (didn't see PPV) and I'm not sure what the obsession is with Cena and JBL with cars lately. :-D

Oh I know, but turning Cena heel would be a shock and stun. That's what I miss about the old WWE. Unpredictable stuff, swerves, turns, etc. Like Kane beating Chavo in record time (just a few seconds) at Wrestlemania to win the ECW title. Right now it's just not as exciting as it used to be. I blame the writers since they've got loads of talent on all 3 shows, so there's really no reason for the shows to be boring and predictable.

And I saw the PPV, but that match wasn't all that great. *shrug*

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:20 pm

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:True, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't make it believable that Punk can beat Batista. For example, when Samoa Joe had a best of three series against CM Punk in ROH. Joe weighs about the same as Batista albeit the latter being taller and well, more built, but the ring psychology for each Punk/Joe match was sensational and fairly true to form (i.e. Punk concentrating on kicking Joe's legs to knock him off balance). Granted, each of those matches had a 60 minute time limit in mind, they told a good story and I'm sure such a story could compute with Punk and Batista in WWE.

However, I'd say Punk is a better fit in TNA because he's not quite as credible in the ring if he didn't get his stiff spots in. Same thing goes for Bryan Danielson because his submission work on a much bigger athlete might be perceived as too incredible in the WWE.

Joe isn't Batista though. Quite a difference in the build of those two guys. :-o I'm not impressed by Joe, but in TNA, he can be a reasonable champ for awhile.

And true, WWE doesn't give as much time for actual wrestling, which can/does hurt them in some cases. ;-D

Joe is quite athletic for a guy that looks nothing but a fat lump. I'd rather have him in WWE over a gimmick like Umaga, but again, if Joe didn't have the stiff spots, he'd be as watered down as Punk is right now.

Madison wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:For the foreseeable future, I can't see Cena turning heel given that he's still moderately marketable even if he never reaches "Rock status".

I happened to catch JBL/Cena's Great American Bash match (didn't see PPV) and I'm not sure what the obsession is with Cena and JBL with cars lately. :-D

Oh I know, but turning Cena heel would be a shock and stun. That's what I miss about the old WWE. Unpredictable stuff, swerves, turns, etc. Like Kane beating Chavo in record time (just a few seconds) at Wrestlemania to win the ECW title. Right now it's just not as exciting as it used to be. I blame the writers since they've got loads of talent on all 3 shows, so there's really no reason for the shows to be boring and predictable.

And I saw the PPV, but that match wasn't all that great. *shrug*

I miss the days when Cena was a heel given how fun it was to hear his freestyle promo raps.

I don't catch WWE as much as I used to but it seems to me they have a hard time trying to create fresh gimmicks and storylines that aren't retreads of other gimmicks/storylines. It has gotten to the point where Wrestlemania is the one show where there are at least some quality matches worth talking about while the others seem like a non-point. Personally, I haven't bought a PPV besides WM in years and if I caught another PPV, I just watched it at a friend's house.

As for ECW, I wished Vince never revived ECW as a brand knowing he'd make it as generic as Raw or Smackdown would.
The Artful Dodger
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:00 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Joe is quite athletic for a guy that looks nothing but a fat lump. I'd rather have him in WWE over a gimmick like Umaga, but again, if Joe didn't have the stiff spots, he'd be as watered down as Punk is right now.

Agreed, but looking at him you'd never guess he can wrestle. He gives it all he's got though, and can wrestle. I just don't view him as big of a threat in a fight compared to someone like Batista. :-D

The Artful Dodger wrote:I miss the days when Cena was a heel given how fun it was to hear his freestyle promo raps.

I don't catch WWE as much as I used to but it seems to me they have a hard time trying to create fresh gimmicks and storylines that aren't retreads of other gimmicks/storylines. It has gotten to the point where Wrestlemania is the one show where there are at least some quality matches worth talking about while the others seem like a non-point. Personally, I haven't bought a PPV besides WM in years and if I caught another PPV, I just watched it at a friend's house.

As for ECW, I wished Vince never revived ECW as a brand knowing he'd make it as generic as Raw or Smackdown would.

I've been getting them lately due to my boy closing in on the end of his career ('Taker). He really can't have that much time left. A year, two at the most. Been a fan his entire career, so I've been watching simply because I'm a fan of his.

Yeah, some of the storylines have really stunk along with some horrible characters too. The writing team certainly could use some new blood in there to change things up a bit and give the fans some "fresh" ideas/characters/etc.

Oddly enough, I get a kick out of Curry Man over on TNA. :-b

I am the Reaper of Men,
The Chaser of Souls,
The Weaver of Nightmares,
I am The Heart of Darkness.
I now, and ever will be,
The Purity of Evil.
Madison
Lord of Darkness
Lord of Darkness

ExecutiveMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberMatchup Meltdown ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:00 am

The Hell in a Cell 'Taker match should be decent.

Smackdown was pretty meh tonight. Not much to say about it...
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby logan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:12 pm

ok so i don't watch as much as i did in the hey day but tonight i tuned in and decided to watch since they were announcing a new GM. so at the prescribed wrestling "surprise" time we get.....

Mike Adamle? to steal a phrase from The Rock Who in the blue hell is that? the silence of the crowd was absolutely deafening.
Last edited by logan on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:14 pm

I watched WWF (back when it was the WWF) for a couple years, the Rock was the big thing back then...does he ever make guest appearances? I miss the People's Elbow :,-( :,-(

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Canucks_Fantasy » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:34 am

JasonSeahorn wrote:I watched WWF (back when it was the WWF) for a couple years, the Rock was the big thing back then...does he ever make guest appearances? I miss the People's Elbow :,-( :,-(

Rarely. He's too big of a "star" to really wrestle as well.
Canucks_Fantasy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby Daddymike59 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:44 am

logan wrote:ok so i don't watch as much as i did in the hey day but tonight i tuned in and decided to watch since they were announcing a new GM. so at the prescribed wrestling "surprise" time we get.....

Mike Adamle? to steal a phrase from The Rock Who in the blue hell is that? the silence of the crowd was absolutely deafening.

Since you asked....

A Northwestern University gridiron great who enjoyed a successful NFL career as a running back for the Kansas City Chiefs, New York Jets and Chicago Bears, Adamle would participate in four Super Bowls, either on the sidelines or as a studio analyst, for CBS and NBC Sports. Amazingly, however, during his extensive time as an NBC Sports studio host and sideline reporter for NFL games, Mike would become best known as the co-host of the groundbreaking competition series American Gladiators. From 1989 to 1996, Adamle’s name became as recognized as the Gladiators themselves, and synonymous with the ever-competitive field of sports-entertainment.

Following American Gladiators, Mike was a reporter for ESPN’s SportsCenter, a sideline reporter for the XFL in 2001, and covered the 2000 and 2004 Summer Olympics. In the summer of 2005, he hosted Bravo's Battle of the Network Reality Stars, then became a color commentator for Professional Bull Riders’ (PBR) Built Ford Tough Series a year later.

After months of providing his wide-ranging insights and observations for our fans each and every Monday night on Raw, Adamle joined the announcers' table on ECW on Sci Fi alongside Tazz in April 2008.

And now he's the new GM of Raw. This should be interesting.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby logan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:37 am

yeah i looked him up on the wiki and still don't get what they are going for. couple this with hiring freddie prinz jr for the writing/creative team and i'm going with a big HUH?? obviously i realize he has no control on what really happens and is just the face/figurehead of the position but from what little i heard of him on Raw he really didn't do much for me.
logan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)

Previous

Return to General Talk