Niners Busted for Tampering - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Niners Busted for Tampering

Moderator: Football Moderators

Niners Busted for Tampering

Postby Kilroy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:35 pm

Link

NEW YORK -- The San Francisco 49ers forfeited their fifth-round pick in next month's NFL draft on Monday after commissioner Roger Goodell deemed them guilty of tampering with Chicago linebacker Lance Briggs.

Goodell also determined the teams will switch picks in the third round of the April 26-27 draft. Chicago, which had the 12th pick, will get San Francisco's seventh pick and the 49ers will get Chicago's choice.

The fifth-rounder I'm fine with, but the third round "switch" sets a shaky precedent. What's to stop everyone and their mother from crying "tampering" in an effort to improve draft position?

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Niners Busted for Tampering

Postby FantasyMan13 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:45 pm

I think its good. At first, though, I thought it said they were switching first rounders 8-o :-b
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby Kilroy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:58 pm

FantasyMan13 wrote:I think its good. At first, though, I thought it said they were switching first rounders 8-o :-b

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with San Francisco being punished (they broke the rules), but why are the Bears being rewarded?

Another head-scratcher from Goodell IMO.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby FantasyMan13 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:02 pm

O wow I didnt even think about that. Seems more like they should just lose their 3rd rounder or something doesnt it...? :-?
FantasyMan13
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 40)

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:04 pm

Kilroy wrote:
FantasyMan13 wrote:I think its good. At first, though, I thought it said they were switching first rounders 8-o :-b

Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with San Francisco being punished (they broke the rules), but why are the Bears being rewarded?

Another head-scratcher from Goodell IMO.

The Bears are being rewarded because it was there player that was tampered with. They have a right to not have that player being pursued during the season and exclusive dealing rights until the end of his contract.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby The_One » Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:24 pm

Anything to hurt the teams in the Seahawks division, and the bears could have potentially lost Briggs, mabye thats why a switch of 3rd's was justified?
The_One
Water Boy
Water Boy

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby onnestabe » Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Kilroy wrote:The fifth-rounder I'm fine with, but the third round "switch" sets a shaky precedent. What's to stop everyone and their mother from crying "tampering" in an effort to improve draft position?

It makes it a bigger deterrent, because since the teams have something to gain by reporting it, you can be certain that any tampering that happens is almost guaranteed to be reported. It's not cheating if you don't get caught, but rewarding the team whose player is being tampered with puts 32 policemen out there with an itch to report something.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby biju » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:44 pm

onnestabe wrote:
Kilroy wrote:The fifth-rounder I'm fine with, but the third round "switch" sets a shaky precedent. What's to stop everyone and their mother from crying "tampering" in an effort to improve draft position?

It makes it a bigger deterrent, because since the teams have something to gain by reporting it, you can be certain that any tampering that happens is almost guaranteed to be reported. It's not cheating if you don't get caught, but rewarding the team whose player is being tampered with puts 32 policemen out there with an itch to report something.

By that then the Jets should be wondering where their reward is for calling the Patriots on Spygate. I agree with Kilroy that this sets a precedence that will certainly lead to other teams wondering why they didn't get compensated. Hell, one could argue that there is no certainty that the Jets would have lost that game (far stretch, but there is no way of being 100% certain regardless of how outclassed they were) and that they were not compensated appropriately for receiving a loss. I still think to this day that the Patriots should have had to forfeit that game and if they weren't on the verge of a perfect season they probably would have been fined as such.
biju
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 Survivor

Postby JasonSeahorn » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:04 pm

OMG please no more spygate....the Niners lost their 5th rounder and switched their 3rd rounder. The Pats lost a first rounder and were fined what, $500,000?

Tampering with players and their contracts is totally different. Hell, the Patriots could argue the Jets tampered with Deion Branch back when he was in New England.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Kilroy » Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:12 pm

biju wrote:
onnestabe wrote:

By that then the Jets should be wondering where their reward is for calling the Patriots on Spygate. I agree with Kilroy that this sets a precedence that will certainly lead to other teams wondering why they didn't get compensated. Hell, one could argue that there is no certainty that the Jets would have lost that game (far stretch, but there is no way of being 100% certain regardless of how outclassed they were) and that they were not compensated appropriately for receiving a loss. I still think to this day that the Patriots should have had to forfeit that game and if they weren't on the verge of a perfect season they probably would have been fined as such.

Can we puh-lease not drag Spygate/The Patriots into this?

My problem with the "swap", is that instead of 32 "policemen" you're just as likely to have 32 Boys who Cried Wolf hollering "tampering" every 5 minutes in an attempt to get a better pick.

Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Football Talk