2008 Ohio State thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008 Ohio State thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:27 am

Well I think when you compare OOC schedules with the rest of college football, OSU usually tries to get one solid game a year. Last year being the exception. They are just as good, if not better, as most of the elite programs in the country.

I guess I just want OSU to be a little more like USC. USC plays a very solid OOC. They only have 1 really big matchup a year, until Notre Dame becomes relevant again, but instead of padding their schedule with division AA opponents they schedule decent programs like UVA, Fresno or Nebraska. Games that they may lose, but probably won't. It helps out quite a bit with recruiting because they will be on national television.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Daddymike59 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 am

I think the fact that the revenue stays in the state is a big factor for scheduling the BGSU's Ohio's and YSU's. People in Ohio, for some reason, want to see in-state rivalries develop. In 2002 Cincinnatti damn near beat OSU in Cincy. It ended up 23-19. I too would like to see more of the power conferences in our OOC schedule.

Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Football

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:11 pm

I don't think revenue staying in-state is that big of a factor in the decision. It's not up to OSU or the other colleges in the state to support the economy, if you know what I mean. I think just supporting football in general in the state is probably the biggest factor, plus it's kind of a rivalry game you could say, since I'm sure Ohio University and Youngstown would like to be competitive with Ohio State, no matter how far-fetched that is. Kind of a little brother mentality, you know?

I like these games for OSU. It's good for the state. You just kind of have to hope that OU and Youngstown State aren't too beat up after playing OSU. There's a significant difference in talent and strength there.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby Polar Bear » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:10 am

Daddymike59 wrote:I think the fact that the revenue stays in the state is a big factor for scheduling the BGSU's Ohio's and YSU's. People in Ohio, for some reason, want to see in-state rivalries develop. In 2002 Cincinnatti damn near beat OSU in Cincy. It ended up 23-19. I too would like to see more of the power conferences in our OOC schedule.

I've lived in Ohio all my life and I assume you have to and I have never heard this. Oberlin was the last Ohio team to beat OSU in football and that was around the 1920s. Since then...undefeated with a couple scares like Cincy in 2002 (but let's be honest every week was a scare in 02). If there are people in Ohio that want to see a rivalry develop then they are dreaming.

I was watching Gameday this morning and I heard Fowler say something similar to what I and many of you are saying, except he was implying it to all of college football. This weekend is a poor week for college football and the fans deserve better. Outside of a few matchups, like Florida/Miami there is nothing to watch. BC and Georgia Tech should be a good game, but I don't know many casual college football fans that are looking forward to that game.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikus » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Polar Bear wrote:
Daddymike59 wrote:I think the fact that the revenue stays in the state is a big factor for scheduling the BGSU's Ohio's and YSU's. People in Ohio, for some reason, want to see in-state rivalries develop. In 2002 Cincinnatti damn near beat OSU in Cincy. It ended up 23-19. I too would like to see more of the power conferences in our OOC schedule.

I've lived in Ohio all my life and I assume you have to and I have never heard this. Oberlin was the last Ohio team to beat OSU in football and that was around the 1920s. Since then...undefeated with a couple scares like Cincy in 2002 (but let's be honest every week was a scare in 02). If there are people in Ohio that want to see a rivalry develop then they are dreaming.

I was watching Gameday this morning and I heard Fowler say something similar to what I and many of you are saying, except he was implying it to all of college football. This weekend is a poor week for college football and the fans deserve better. Outside of a few matchups, like Florida/Miami there is nothing to watch. BC and Georgia Tech should be a good game, but I don't know many casual college football fans that are looking forward to that game.

The Ohio - Ohio State game is pretty good right now! ;-D
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Postby The Lung » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:21 pm

mikus wrote:The Ohio - Ohio State game is pretty good right now! ;-D

If only because through the first half, the Buckeyes are sucking royally. :-t
(~);}

(~);}
The Lung

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 61)

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:24 pm

The Lung wrote:
mikus wrote:The Ohio - Ohio State game is pretty good right now! ;-D

If only because through the first half, the Buckeyes are sucking royally. :-t

I was thinking the same.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Postby VaderFin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:58 pm

14-6. :-b
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby SniperShot » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:45 pm

If Ohio had ANY passing game they'd have won this.

BOOOOOOO Boo Jackson.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 14)

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am

SniperShot wrote:If Ohio had ANY passing game they'd have won this.

BOOOOOOO Boo Jackson.

One of the main reasons that Nebraska fired Frank Solich. Frank is a great guy and a Husker through and through, but the game has evolved enough that you HAVE TO have a decent passing game to survive. He has never gotten that memo, apparently.

Whether OSU was looking ahead to USC or not, this was a huge blunder on their part. They gonna get smooshed by the Trojans if they play like that.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to College Football