2008 Ohio State thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to College Football

2008 Ohio State thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby Polar Bear » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:27 am

Well I think when you compare OOC schedules with the rest of college football, OSU usually tries to get one solid game a year. Last year being the exception. They are just as good, if not better, as most of the elite programs in the country.

I guess I just want OSU to be a little more like USC. USC plays a very solid OOC. They only have 1 really big matchup a year, until Notre Dame becomes relevant again, but instead of padding their schedule with division AA opponents they schedule decent programs like UVA, Fresno or Nebraska. Games that they may lose, but probably won't. It helps out quite a bit with recruiting because they will be on national television.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby Daddymike59 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:10 am

I think the fact that the revenue stays in the state is a big factor for scheduling the BGSU's Ohio's and YSU's. People in Ohio, for some reason, want to see in-state rivalries develop. In 2002 Cincinnatti damn near beat OSU in Cincy. It ended up 23-19. I too would like to see more of the power conferences in our OOC schedule.
Image


Props to Leber for the nice artwork!
Daddymike59
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 2915
Joined: 6 Sep 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: GOM=30 Home of the Buckeyes

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby knapplc » Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:11 pm

I don't think revenue staying in-state is that big of a factor in the decision. It's not up to OSU or the other colleges in the state to support the economy, if you know what I mean. I think just supporting football in general in the state is probably the biggest factor, plus it's kind of a rivalry game you could say, since I'm sure Ohio University and Youngstown would like to be competitive with Ohio State, no matter how far-fetched that is. Kind of a little brother mentality, you know?

I like these games for OSU. It's good for the state. You just kind of have to hope that OU and Youngstown State aren't too beat up after playing OSU. There's a significant difference in talent and strength there.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby Polar Bear » Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:10 am

Daddymike59 wrote:I think the fact that the revenue stays in the state is a big factor for scheduling the BGSU's Ohio's and YSU's. People in Ohio, for some reason, want to see in-state rivalries develop. In 2002 Cincinnatti damn near beat OSU in Cincy. It ended up 23-19. I too would like to see more of the power conferences in our OOC schedule.


I've lived in Ohio all my life and I assume you have to and I have never heard this. Oberlin was the last Ohio team to beat OSU in football and that was around the 1920s. Since then...undefeated with a couple scares like Cincy in 2002 (but let's be honest every week was a scare in 02). If there are people in Ohio that want to see a rivalry develop then they are dreaming.

I was watching Gameday this morning and I heard Fowler say something similar to what I and many of you are saying, except he was implying it to all of college football. This weekend is a poor week for college football and the fans deserve better. Outside of a few matchups, like Florida/Miami there is nothing to watch. BC and Georgia Tech should be a good game, but I don't know many casual college football fans that are looking forward to that game.
Polar Bear
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

User avatar

Posts: 301
Joined: 12 Jun 2008
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby mikus » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:13 pm

Polar Bear wrote:
Daddymike59 wrote:I think the fact that the revenue stays in the state is a big factor for scheduling the BGSU's Ohio's and YSU's. People in Ohio, for some reason, want to see in-state rivalries develop. In 2002 Cincinnatti damn near beat OSU in Cincy. It ended up 23-19. I too would like to see more of the power conferences in our OOC schedule.


I've lived in Ohio all my life and I assume you have to and I have never heard this. Oberlin was the last Ohio team to beat OSU in football and that was around the 1920s. Since then...undefeated with a couple scares like Cincy in 2002 (but let's be honest every week was a scare in 02). If there are people in Ohio that want to see a rivalry develop then they are dreaming.

I was watching Gameday this morning and I heard Fowler say something similar to what I and many of you are saying, except he was implying it to all of college football. This weekend is a poor week for college football and the fans deserve better. Outside of a few matchups, like Florida/Miami there is nothing to watch. BC and Georgia Tech should be a good game, but I don't know many casual college football fans that are looking forward to that game.


The Ohio - Ohio State game is pretty good right now! ;-D
Image
Thanks to madaslives911 for the sweet sig!
The Hazean: Fantasy football galore
mikus
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 4658
Joined: 20 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Same place as every other blogger: My Mom's basement. That is where bloggers work, right?

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby The Lung » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:21 pm

mikus wrote:The Ohio - Ohio State game is pretty good right now! ;-D


If only because through the first half, the Buckeyes are sucking royally. :-t
(~);}

Image

(~);}
The Lung
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 9850
(Past Year: 61)
Joined: 2 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Disgusted with Mocha Bean

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby treat24 » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:24 pm

The Lung wrote:
mikus wrote:The Ohio - Ohio State game is pretty good right now! ;-D


If only because through the first half, the Buckeyes are sucking royally. :-t


I was thinking the same.
treat24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterCafecasterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18188
Joined: 6 Oct 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: I'm drinking 'til I forget the 1999 NFC Championship game.

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby VaderFin » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:58 pm

14-6. :-b
Image
VaderFin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 7030
Joined: 10 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: In my Tie Fighter blowing up Rebels

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby SniperShot » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:45 pm

If Ohio had ANY passing game they'd have won this.

BOOOOOOO Boo Jackson.
SniperShot
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 7511
(Past Year: 14)
Joined: 27 Aug 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Fairfax, VA

Re: 2008 Ohio State thread

Postby knapplc » Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:50 am

SniperShot wrote:If Ohio had ANY passing game they'd have won this.

BOOOOOOO Boo Jackson.

One of the main reasons that Nebraska fired Frank Solich. Frank is a great guy and a Husker through and through, but the game has evolved enough that you HAVE TO have a decent passing game to survive. He has never gotten that memo, apparently.

Whether OSU was looking ahead to USC or not, this was a huge blunder on their part. They gonna get smooshed by the Trojans if they play like that.
Image
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Posts: 18961
Joined: 27 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Football
Location: It's an L, not an I

PreviousNext

Return to College Football

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 14:21 hours
(and 37 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact