Sell me on Clinton Portis - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Sell me on Clinton Portis

Moderator: Football Moderators

Sell me on Clinton Portis

Postby Axl's Army » Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:34 am

In '06 I had him - drafted him in round 1 & I am bitter. Looks like I'll be able to get him probably with the swing pick in my 10 team draft that includes keepers (keep 'em where you drafted 'em).

If I don't take him, I guess I go T.O. (Moss will be kept).

Yo Mama is so fat . . .
Axl's Army
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant

Home Cafe: Football

Re: Sell me on Clinton Portis

Postby 011472 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:01 am

If you take '06 out of the mix, he's played in 13 or more games every year, with 1550 as his lowest number of total yards per season. With 63 tds in 84 games, he's proven to get in the end zone consistently. Even in '06 he had 7 tds in 8 starts before the injury.

He's suffered one major injury in his career, so IMO he does not deserve the "injury-prone" label he's carried around. After last season, he's shown that he's the man in Washington, both between the 20's and at the goal line. Zorn claims to love him and his offense should feature a lot of Portis.

Last year, Portis quietly managed to be a top 10 rb in most leagues despite a badly damaged offensive line. This year, with healthy linemen, there's no reason why he can't move back into the top 5- remember, he was ranked either 4th or 5th when you drafted him in preseason '06.

Portis has consistently proven that he can carry the load. He may not put up the huge numbers you'd hope for from LT or ADP, but he should give you strong RB1 numbers from the turn.
Last edited by 011472 on Sun Mar 30, 2008 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Head Coach
Head Coach

Matchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Sun Mar 30, 2008 9:35 am

What 011472 said. For those of us who drafted him in 06, Portis payed us back for those who trusted him again in 07.

I feel like someone made a topic called "Sell me on Portis" at the beginning of last year too :-?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Gnu314 » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:46 pm

011472 wrote:If you take '06 out of the mix, he's played in 13 or more games every year, with 1550 as his lowest number of total yards per season. With 63 tds in 84 games, he's proven to get in the end zone consistently. Even in '06 he had 7 tds in 8 starts before the injury.

He's suffered one major injury in his career, so IMO he does not deserve the "injury-prone" label he's carried around. After last season, he's shown that he's the man in Washington, both between the 20's and at the goal line. Zorn claims to love him and his offense should feature a lot of Portis.

Last year, Portis quietly managed to be a top 10 rb in most leagues despite a badly damaged offensive line. This year, with healthy linemen, there's no reason why he can move back into the top 5- remember, he was ranked either 4th or 5th when you drafted him in preseason '06.

Portis has consistently proven that he can carry the load. He may not put up the huge numbers you'd hope for from LT or ADP, but he should give you strong RB1 numbers from the turn.

You're rewriting a bit of history here. Their offensive line has the same problems that Portis has. I had him last year and was pleased with his production but he carries the Q for much of the season. Do you not remember worrying about his knees for the first 4 games last season, Betts spelling him consistently. If you look at the stats from last season, Portis had 8 games with less than 100 total yards and 5 of those games came without a TD. I realize that he had a total of over 1600 all purpose yards last season but he only had 4 100 yard rushing games. In PPR I think he'll perform to his draft position of 8-11th but without PPR, he'll be just cracking the top 10 again.... then theres the Q issue.

On top of that, I don't recall Jansen having a healthy season in 4 years along with Wade and Fabini.

I don't like that situation and that offense to begin with, and I'll be avoiding Portis unless he provides exceptional value in the late 2nd.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby bagobonez » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:45 pm

I've traditionally been a Portis basher but I took him at 2.9 last year and he helped me to a championship. It all just depends on where you can get him.
"90% of the game is half mental" - John Madden
bagobonez
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:26 am

Axl's Army wrote:Sell me on Clinton Portis

He finished as RB5 last year while playing with 9th string offensive linemen...
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby SwiperNoSwiping » Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:55 am

Free Bagel wrote:
Axl's Army wrote:Sell me on Clinton Portis

He finished as RB5 last year while playing with 9th string offensive linemen...

Come on Bagel. You can do better than that....I expected 6 paragraphs, at least. :-b
SwiperNoSwiping
Grillmaster
Grillmaster

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Johnny U » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:14 pm

I don't think Portis has been the same back since he left Denver. His first two seasons he was scary good running behind that O-line – 1,500-plus yards on the ground, 15 TDs and over 5 yards per carry. He was fast, elusive and threat to score just about anytime he carried. Now he is a beaten up shell of himself, a bordereline grinder barely averaging 4 yards per carry in Washington. He got his money, though, so I'm sure it was worth his career.
Johnny U
Special Teams Staff
Special Teams Staff

Postby Free Bagel » Mon Mar 31, 2008 7:17 pm

SwiperNoSwiping wrote:Come on Bagel. You can do better than that....I expected 6 paragraphs, at least. :-b

Sorry, I'm still recovering from the carpel tunnel I got in last year's Clinton Portis threads 8-o
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby eaglesrule » Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:41 am

He's good.
The opening scene of the movie "Saving Private Ryan" is loosely based on games of dodgeball Brian Dawkins played in second grade.
eaglesrule
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Football Talk