2008-2009 Florida Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

2008-2009 Florida Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: 2008-2009 Florida Thread

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:56 pm

side note on the Palm Beach post -- they hate the Gators and are big Canes supporters. They pick up anything on the gators that could make them not a good team and run with it hard core. I never believe a word that comes from that paper until I see it in another one.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby stomperrob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:35 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:From everything I have read/heard/understand, Urban will be a gator coach for about 3 or 4 more years and then I expect him to be a Domer and retire there. I think Urban knows he is a college coach so he will stay there, but his Notre love will push him back there after his kids go to college.

...not some small part of him that would want to join the august company of Jimmy Johnson & Barry Switzer and be one of the few to win a NC & a SB??? Or would the incredible NFL flops of Holtz, Petrino, Spurrier, Erickson, Saban, Carroll, and Butch Davis tend to make him a little gun-shy?
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 138)

Postby stomperrob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:38 pm

Mullen to call plays for Florida in BCS title game
Dec. 16, 2008
CBSSports.com wire reports

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Newly hired Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen has decided to stay with top-ranked Florida through the national championship game.

Gators coach Urban Meyer said Tuesday that Mullen will call plays in the Bowl Championship Series national title game Jan. 8 in Miami.

"The goal is to win the game, and I think right now, unless something changes, it looks like that's going to happen," Meyer said. "Is that the best chance of us winning that game, with the mechanics of the game the way we do them? Probably yes. So right now I'd say the plan is he'll be up in the press box."

Mullen was still in Mississippi and not planning to return to Gainesville until after Christmas, Meyer said. The Gators held their first bowl practice Tuesday, but with final exams scheduled all week, it was mostly conditioning drills. Meyer said detailed game-plan preparations for No. 2 Oklahoma won't begin until after Christmas.

Meyer also said he recognizes that Mullen still has work to do with the Bulldogs -- Mullen is assembling his staff and recruiting -- but he's confident the rest of Florida's offensive assistants can pick up the slack.

con't...

rest of article: http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootba ... y/11175958
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:08 pm

stomperrob wrote:
deerayfan072 wrote:From everything I have read/heard/understand, Urban will be a gator coach for about 3 or 4 more years and then I expect him to be a Domer and retire there. I think Urban knows he is a college coach so he will stay there, but his Notre love will push him back there after his kids go to college.

...not some small part of him that would want to join the august company of Jimmy Johnson & Barry Switzer and be one of the few to win a NC & a SB??? Or would the incredible NFL flops of Holtz, Petrino, Spurrier, Erickson, Saban, Carroll, and Butch Davis tend to make him a little gun-shy?

I am sure part of him wonders about the NFL, especially with Belichek being a close friend, but he has said numerous times that his heart is in college. To further on my ND point, Meyer said in a radio interview a few days ago that his dream job is still Notre Dame, but being able to be close to his family and recruit is too much to pass up now. I am pretty sure he will be gone in the near future after his kids go to school. Here is hoping they choose UF ;-D
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby stomperrob » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:52 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:
stomperrob wrote:

I am sure part of him wonders about the NFL, especially with Belichek being a close friend, but he has said numerous times that his heart is in college. To further on my ND point, Meyer said in a radio interview a few days ago that his dream job is still Notre Dame, but being able to be close to his family and recruit is too much to pass up now. I am pretty sure he will be gone in the near future after his kids go to school. Here is hoping they choose UF ;-D

Yeh, and there's certainly nothing wrong with being a great college coach for one's entire career - one doesn't need to jump to the NFL to prove anything. Lotta great college coaches who never coached in NFL who are no less respected or regarded for not having ventured into the pro game!
stomperrob

Postby stomperrob » Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:01 am

Meyer tries to explain Notre Dame dream
06:45 AM ET

In an emphatic effort to clear the air, Florida Coach Urban Meyer twice said on Tuesday he plans to be in Gainesville a "long, long time." This served as a follow-up to his comments on a South Florida radio show last week that Notre Dame was "still my dream job, that hasn't changed." Charlie Weis is still Notre Dame's coach, and the Gators are busy fighting for a second national title in three seasons. Meyer didn't refute that Notre Dame might always be his dream job, but he said it's a product of his Northern upbringing. "Our staff has given our life to Florida football for four years," Meyer said. "We plan on giving our life to Florida football for a long, long time." Gators Athletics Director Jeremy Foley told the Orlando Sentinel he has "no concerns" about Meyer's comments. "I know how Urban feels about the University of Florida," Foley said. "He has a tremendous amount of respect for Notre Dame."

Orlando Sentinel

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumo ... ref=fromSI
stomperrob

Postby ShoelessJoe » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:34 pm

Cornelius Ingram will play in the NC game. He will play a limited number of plays but the Gators will most likely use the two TE sets they put into the offense in August with both him and Aaron Hernandez.
Go Gators
ShoelessJoe
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby stomperrob » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:58 pm

From this week's SI:

December 29, 2008
Trapping The Gators
With speedsters it likes to isolate in the middle of the field, Florida figures to give the Sooners all they can handle too
Albert Chen

WHEN HE arrived in Gainesville in early 2005, Florida coach Urban Meyer vowed to assemble "the fastest team in America." Four years later his offense—which led the SEC in scoring (45.2 points a game) and total offense (442.4 yards)—is, in fact, built on world-class speed. A dozen Gators (seven on offense) have clocked 4.4 seconds or less in the 40, and of Florida's school-record 79 TDs this season 47 were scored by one of those speedsters. When the Gators are on the move, players fly down the field like cars on the autobahn. "When I watched video of them, at first I thought it was in fast-forward," Georgia linebacker Rennie Curran said before Florida ran circles around the Bulldogs in a 49--10 victory on Nov. 1.

"I was blown away by their speed and athleticism," says Mississippi defensive coordinator Tyrone Nix, whose team handed the Gators their lone defeat of the year, a 31--30 setback on Sept. 27. "You can't stop them. You can only slow them down."

Here are the keys to putting the brakes on the Florida attack:

TAKE AWAY THE RUNNING GAME

The biggest misconception about the Gators is that their offense is modeled after the pass-happy teams of the Steve Spurrier era. "Everything they do is based on their running game," says Nix, whose unit blitzed on nearly every down and held quarterback Tim Tebow to a season-low seven yards on 15 carries. Meyer, however, uses the speed to create mismatches on the ground. Since the loss to the Rebels, Florida, led by the freshman tandem of Jeff Demps and Chris Rainey, has rushed for 263.6 yards a game (fifth in the nation over that span) and 6.6 yards per carry (first). The Flash 'n' Dash, with its steady diet of end arounds and jet sweeps, thrives on misdirection. "You can't afford to overpursue," says Vanderbilt defensive coordinator Bruce Fowler, "because if one guy isn't somewhere he's supposed to be, it's going to take about two seconds for them to find the end zone. You have to minimize the explosive plays." Easier said than done. This season the Gators had 16 runs of 30 yards or longer.

con't...

rest of article: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

December 29, 2008
Is The Sooner Express Unstoppable?
Florida at least has to slow the point-a-minute Oklahoma offense and give its own high-powered attack a chance to run off with the BCS championship
AUSTIN MURPHY

JOE HADEN showed up for a recent film session looking a bit bleary-eyed. "Had my final in architectural history at 7:30 this morning," explained the 19-year-old Florida cornerback, who then grumbled about needing some z's. Haden will need to catch up on his sleep by Jan. 8. He is one of seven sophomores starting on a Gators defense whose mission that night in the BCS championship game in Miami will be to outplay the most prolific, explosive and impatient offense in college football history. With Heisman Trophy--winning quarterback Sam Bradford directing coordinator Kevin Wilson's souped-up, hurry-up, mismatch-making, record-breaking offense, Oklahoma (12--1) racked up 702 points this season, the most by a major college team since Minnesota scored 725 in ... 1904.

Five minutes after cuing up video from Oklahoma's 35--10 win over TCU on Sept. 27, Haden was wide awake. The Sooners had his full attention. Bottled up at his own nine-yard line late in the first quarter, Bradford kicked the hurry-up into overdrive, and for a few slapstick moments the Horned Frogs called to mind Lucy and Ethel on the chocolate-factory assembly line. "Check it out," says Haden, as Oklahoma snaps the ball before TCU is remotely ready. "They got dudes looking at the sideline, dudes running off the field. Even the camera guy wasn't ready." A jerk of the lens at the start of the play confirms that, yes, even the videographer is struggling to keep up with the frenetic Sooners' attack. Three plays later the Horned Frogs are flagged for their second substitution infraction in four snaps, and senior safety Steven Coleman can be seen slapping his thigh pads in exasperation.

Haden doesn't blame him. "Those coaches can't be changing personnel and trying to get subs in when the ball's about to be hiked," he says.

TCU coach Gary Patterson pleads no contest. Highly regarded for his defensive acumen—his team ranked second in the country in total defense in 2008—Patterson was determined to shuttle personnel groups on and off the field that night, the narrow window to do so between snaps be damned. "As soon as I quit trying to be a guru," Patterson said last week, "we played a lot better."

con't...

rest of article: http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm
stomperrob

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:38 pm

Great Read about Tebow

MIAMI -- Back in July, in a ballroom in a Birmingham, Ala., hotel during Southeastern Conference media days, a reporter asked Tim Tebow the following question:

"I don't mean to sound cynical, but between winning the national championship and winning the Heisman, saving the world in the Philippines and all, did you ever, like, sneak a cigarette when you were in high school? Do you ever do anything wrong? Do you feel like everything off the field is sort of on cruise control for you?"

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/ ... ortCat=ncf
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby deerayfan072 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:25 pm

Edwin Herbert, Desmond Parks, Jon Harrison, Nick Alajajian and Dee Finley

All are on campus and enrolled for early entrance into Spring. ;-D

Jon Bostic is also expected to be, but he left early for the Army game and had to finish an exam later so he is waiting on that grade before entering.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

PreviousNext

Return to College Football