No Playoff Reseeding.... - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

No Playoff Reseeding....

Moderator: Football Moderators

No Playoff Reseeding....

Postby Kilroy » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:49 pm

No 5-Yard Facemasks anymore either.

Link

The owners did pass several resolutions, including eliminating the forceout on receptions; allowing teams to defer their decision to the second half when winning the opening coin toss; and making field goals and extra points subject to replay review to determine whether the ball passes over the crossbar and through the uprights.

In addition, any direct snap from center that is untouched by the quarterback now will be a live ball; in the past it was considered a false start and the play was blown dead. The 5-yard penalty for incidental contact with a facemask has been eliminated, with the 15-yarder remaining for any grasping or twisting of the facemask.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." -- Voltaire
Kilroy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer
Home Cafe: Football

Re: No Playoff Reseeding....

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:11 pm

No more forceouts?? I was hoping they would instead start reviewing forceouts.

For the facemask, does that mean they will only call a more serious facemask and give it 15 yards? Or will touching the facemask at all warrant a 15 yard penalty now?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:07 pm

Wow, after reading that article, I'm amazed at the differences between that and the article Clayton wrote for ESPN.

Above article:

A show of hands made it obvious that reseeding the NFL playoffs wasn't such a good idea.

So the league's competition committee withdrew the proposal Wednesday after an informal vote sent it "down in flames," according to New York Giants co-owner John Mara.

Clayton article

NFL owners concluded their annual meeting with quick passages of several proposals and by tabling the idea to reseed teams for the playoffs.

Without the necessary 24 votes to pass a reseeding plan to give wild-card teams the chance to host playoff games, the competition committee tabled the concept to a later meeting, most likely in May.

What gives?

Whatever, I'm fine with all of the proposals, even the forceouts.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Dawinner127 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:04 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:No more forceouts?? I was hoping they would instead start reviewing forceouts.

For the facemask, does that mean they will only call a more serious facemask and give it 15 yards? Or will touching the facemask at all warrant a 15 yard penalty now?

I also wish they would start reviewing force-outs. And I remember reading on ESPN, that the 15 yard penalty will only be called if the head is jerked or spun around.
A win next week and all is forgotten.
Dawinner127
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 69)

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:22 pm

I like the facemask ruling. If there isn't a twisting or pulling of the facemask, then no penalty. I only fear that this will get abused possibly depending on how they decide to call it. The forceout is a good deal to me. They either need to review it or they needed to eliminate it one or the other.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:26 pm

What I don't like about the no-forceout rule is that now defensive backs can time the pass so that if a receiver catches a ball in the corner of the endzone or near the sideline, they can absolutely drill the receiver and as long as they don't dive helmet first or aim for the head, it will be a perfectly legal thing to do. Why would I, a DB, try to make a play on the ball in the corner of the endzone when i can just nudge the receiver and as long as one foot lands out of bounds, it's an incomplete pass?

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby A Fleshner Fantasy » Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:06 pm

JasonSeahorn wrote:What I don't like about the no-forceout rule is that now defensive backs can time the pass so that if a receiver catches a ball in the corner of the endzone or near the sideline, they can absolutely drill the receiver and as long as they don't dive helmet first or aim for the head, it will be a perfectly legal thing to do. Why would I, a DB, try to make a play on the ball in the corner of the endzone when i can just nudge the receiver and as long as one foot lands out of bounds, it's an incomplete pass?

You wouldn't, but with the greater enforcement of the illegal contact rule in the last couple years, DBs should gain an extra advantage.

Thanks to abrunn for the awesome sig
A Fleshner Fantasy
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Free Bagel » Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:44 pm

No forceouts blows.

The only thing I worry about the with facemasks is that they're going to call some that would've previously been 5 yarders 15 yarders rather than just not calling them at all.
Free Bagel
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer

Postby Twisted Sister » Fri Apr 04, 2008 6:05 pm

No forceouts!!! Think about it, corner of endzone... recieve jumps and touches the ball (he's still in the air)... DB only plays one of his feet, literally grabing the foot while he's in air and violently yanking/twisting it so it lands/touches out of bounds.

All a DB has to do is catch one leg on his shoulder or waist and not let it hit the ground. The WR will be helplessly hopping around (like when someone does a front kick, but you catch it). This would be VERY simple to do right at the time of ball contact.

Injuries a plenty. Said here first, watch - DBs will practice this drill.
Twisted Sister
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby steelerfan513 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:39 pm

I actually like the getting rid of the forceout. If anything, it makes offenses work harder to get their points. How many times this year did we see teams just have a six foot five receiver run a corner route into the endzone and come down with the ball by merely outjumping a five foot ten defensive back? This will definitely cut down on that, as receivers will not only have to get up to the ball, but come down with two feet in no matter what. I also don't foresee defensive backs going solely for a receiver's legs, a strategy which completely eliminates the possibility of intercepting the ball.

Like joel said, they needed to either review it or eliminate it, and they chose the latter. I'd have been fine with reviewing it, but I'm fine with eliminating it too.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Next

Return to Football Talk