Chris Henry released by Bengals - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe


Return to Football Talk

Chris Henry released by Bengals

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:02 pm

BigBadBrawler wrote:
footballsimp wrote:How does one learn from their mistakes if they don't face any consequences. Henry keeps screwing off because he keeps getting a free pass.

This man and many others obviously think they can do whatever they want and they need tough love. Take their money away and the game they love to play so much and they will learn.

Paying them millions of dollars and cents to keep making mistakes, makes NO sense. It promotes bad behavior.

BTW, Henry isnt the best. He is far from it. The league is a better place with him hanging out with Maurice Clarrett and Travis Henry at home


I don't understand how players will learn if you take away their money and their job? If anything, I'd think a situation like that would force the players to embrace the bad situations/influences they're already experiencing even more. So I certainly don't agree that your "tough love" philosophy is the effective solution here. But I don't think that a free pass helps either. I like Mooch's suggestion about implementing some kind of rehabilitation programs, counseling, chaperones, and other kinds of pro-active solutions that could actually help keep the players out of trouble and help them clean up their acts. But how the NFL operates now, there's none of that. There's only: do what we say, act how we want you to act, or you can't play a sport that we have an absolute professional monopoly on. That just doesn't seem like best rationale for the sport or for the players IMO. And for the record, we don't pay them millions of dollars to keep making mistakes, we pay them millions of dollars to watch them play. They're two seperate issues. And of course Henry isn't the best, but he is an elite talent that could be a WR1 on most NFL teams, so I really do disagree that the NFL is a better place because he isn't playing in it...


I agree that players won't learn if you give them a free pass. However, by trying to rehabilitate instead of punishing, you might be able to "show the light" to some players. And I would argue taht suspending the player does very little for them. What's a man with millions of dollars and no job going to do (especially one that fits the NFL player prototype)? Most likely, he's going to make poor choices because he'll have so much time on his hands.

The reason the NFL suspends players is because the NFL cares about one thing; it's image. In addition, we at the Cafe have to realize that the NFL cares very little about us. We will watch football pretty much no matter what the NFL does on these small issues. However, advertisers and some "casual fans" will care about the image their company projects. Therefore, the NFL improves its image and its money (and has a positive effect, if any, on the fanbase) by kicking these players out. It's sad, but this is how any monopoly would work. I would really like to see a league compete against the NFL; I think the NFL would be strong enough to handle the competition and it would only make the NFL better ;-D
buffalobillsrul2002
Defensive Assistant
Defensive Assistant


Posts: 635
Joined: 17 Jun 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby LS2throwed » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:26 pm

I don't get it, if you have any other normal job, you have a code of conduct to abide by, and I think some of you are missing that key point...Anytime you represent anybody, no matter who or what company, you are expected to respresent a code of conduct...Chris Henry represented the Cincinnati Bengals and the NFL, if he continually gets arrested, put in jail, or whatever mischief he continues to get into he makes everyone look bad, from the league, to the commish, to the team organization, Owner, everyone...Henry is the lucky one, he gets to do something everyone wishes they can do, he is expected to act like a civilized human being, not cause distraction after distraction.


He won't be banned, but he deserves to get suspended, and then like any other player if he shows he is trying to change his lifestyle then he will be able to play again, would you guys really want these trouble makers on your team? His actions speak alot about his character, it shows football isn't that important to him, he was already suspended once and he returned only to consistently get into more trouble, nobody should pity him and let him play football, just like Adam Jones deserved to get suspended, and so does any other player who repeatedly gets in trouble with the law.
Image
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer
Posts: 5373
Joined: 21 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Arlington, Texas

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby footballsimp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:26 am

I want to work where you guys work if you can act like a total moron and get away with it. I'll get high and say it was second hand smoke. I'll go to strip clubs and cause shootings. I'll flip off the fans and just pay a fine. I'll fight dogs and do my time. I'll get maced and arrested on a boat and come back for camp. I'll hit people with my car and just flee the scene, then I will make a plea to a lesser offense. I'll hit police officers with my car and not care.

As long as I still get paid I dont give a flip. Is your place hiring?
Image
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1290
Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:21 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
joelamosobadiah wrote:
moochman wrote:

A: Because people will pay their hard earned money to watch him play.


Bottom line, if people will truly pay to watch him play, he will play for some team somewhere. Do you honestly think its some huge conspiracy that he isn't signed? That all of the teams got together and decided not to push to get him playing football for them? If people will pay enough to see a player play then they'll be there.



I was going off of this post by mooch which sounded like he was more angry at Marvin for saying he wouldn't have Henry back under any circumstances.

That's also why I said that other teams aren't pushing to get him playing for them. I would think there would be appeals to the office of the Commisioner if people really wanted to sign the guy, but I guess it could just not be in the media too.


To clarify Joel, I have no anger toward any one. I disagree with Marvin and feel he is being more than a little disingenuous in his stance. Remember all the players who have been drafted under his watch that were of less than stellar character. And if that was your beef with what I said, be more clear on it. Your quote made it sound as if you thought I said there was a conspiracy to not sign Henry.

To that end, call it what you want but the facts are that the league is threatening teams by telling them that they too will be fined if their players are bad people. I would call that a mandate not a conspiracy.While I don't condone the actions of some of these athletes I do acknowledge the difficulty in trying to live the lifestyle of decadance that an athlete faces. They have temptations that most of us only dream about. And some of them don't say no when they should. Try not to judge so harshly someone for making decisions that we never have the opportunity to make. I fail to see how suspending and banning players will help them. Leaving a person with proven poor coping mechinism off the their own devices with the caveat of having the rug pulled out from under them. Whether that rug is pulled by the player himself isn't as important as the leauge's response to it. The should also be held to a higher standard rather than look to punish and remove these players. A player in trouble means a player we should cut and run on. Now that's the image any league would be proud of. :-t

LS2throwed, this isn't the real world so the rules don't apply the same way. Just as we wish for our athletes to live a livestyle that is better than our own, so too should we expect that of the league. They should be setting the best example not by washing their hands of troubled players, but of aggressively working to help players battle their demons.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:28 am

footballsimp wrote:I want to work where you guys work if you can act like a total moron and get away with it. I'll get high and say it was second hand smoke. I'll go to strip clubs and cause shootings. I'll flip off the fans and just pay a fine. I'll fight dogs and do my time. I'll get maced and arrested on a boat and come back for camp. I'll hit people with my car and just flee the scene, then I will make a plea to a lesser offense. I'll hit police officers with my car and not care.

As long as I still get paid I dont give a flip. Is your place hiring?


I don't want to scare you, but you are living in that very world.

Ever hear of stories on people at jobs doing their checking or posting amazingly intelligent thougts on fantasy sports blogs?
Or of people getting stoned or drunk at work?
I'll bet somebody in your neighborhood went to a strip club last week.
Point is that athletes are a reflection of society-although almost all of them aren't nearly as bad as the worst in your neighborhood.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby footballsimp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:48 am

If I get a DWI, test positive for drugs, hit a person with a car, fight dogs..I am fired. I am not exagerating. Im done.

I represent my company and if I want to stay employed I need to act like a civilized human being.

Clearly your way isnt working because this kind of behavior has been allowed for years and it is only getting worse.

I dont know the exact quote but there was a time Michael Vick thought he could not be caught or stopped. that is the mentality that is breeding in professional athletes and it should not be tolerated.

The league will survive without Chris Henry. Kick him out until he acts right.

The league has a susbtance abuse plan for those who test positive for drugs....it is clearly working for Travis Henry. The guy has 8 kids by 8 different women in 5 different states. And he has tested positive for weed more times than I can count. I am pretty sure he got busted for sexing it up with an underage girl BEFORE he got into the league. Class act. lets keep him around. The bronocs wont miss him and neither will I.

I just cant believe Americas' moral compass is pointing so far south, we root for people who continue to break the law.

I am all about second chances. This Josh Hamilton story (Texas Ranger) is incredible. But he spent several years out of baseball before he got his crap together....now he is hitting 28 HR in one round of a homerun derby.

That is a person to root for...not a guy who has more court hearings penciled in on his calendar than workouts.

Im done debating this. Sorry i went so long.
Image
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1290
Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:18 pm

footballsimp wrote:If I get a DWI, test positive for drugs, hit a person with a car, fight dogs..I am fired. I am not exagerating. Im done.

I represent my company and if I want to stay employed I need to act like a civilized human being.

Clearly your way isnt working because this kind of behavior has been allowed for years and it is only getting worse.

I dont know the exact quote but there was a time Michael Vick thought he could not be caught or stopped. that is the mentality that is breeding in professional athletes and it should not be tolerated.

The league will survive without Chris Henry. Kick him out until he acts right.

The league has a susbtance abuse plan for those who test positive for drugs....it is clearly working for Travis Henry. The guy has 8 kids by 8 different women in 5 different states. And he has tested positive for weed more times than I can count. I am pretty sure he got busted for sexing it up with an underage girl BEFORE he got into the league. Class act. lets keep him around. The bronocs wont miss him and neither will I.

I just cant believe Americas' moral compass is pointing so far south, we root for people who continue to break the law.

I am all about second chances. This Josh Hamilton story (Texas Ranger) is incredible. But he spent several years out of baseball before he got his crap together....now he is hitting 28 HR in one round of a homerun derby.

That is a person to root for...not a guy who has more court hearings penciled in on his calendar than workouts.

Im done debating this. Sorry i went so long.


You talk of how the NFL's drug policy isn't working, using the Henry example to argue that "my way"* isn't working. I agree, but I think it fails because the leauge isn't doing enough. They leave too much at the hand of the person who already shows poor decision making-the player. Your example of Josh Hamilton is a great example. You were using that to back my thoughts on perhaps a chaperone, right? You do realize that Hamilton goes nowhere without his moral compass to keep him from making poor decisions.
Maybe I am in the minority, but I will miss Travis Henry. He was a heck of a RB for a few season. And that is all that matters to me. His moral ambiguity has nothing to do with me.

*NFL policy is constructed without any contribution from me, so it's not exactly doing it my way.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby footballsimp » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:47 pm

Next year you will forget all about Henry and have some other convict to root for.

That chaparone Hamilton never leaves home without was not supplied to him by MLB or the rangers...that is his doing. He is a big boy and he was able to figure things out on his own.

guys like Chris Henry needs to put on their big boy pants, learn to wipe their own @$$es and pay the piper...not keep getting paid while they break the law.

the NFL isnt a daycare
Image
footballsimp
Head Coach
Head Coach


Posts: 1290
Joined: 14 Aug 2005
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby joelamosobadiah » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:11 pm

I agree with aspects of both sides on this. I think for the most part if a team wants to fire somebody for their off the field issues, then go for it. I also think they should all have specific conduct policies in place that would allow them to release a player who violated said policy without huge financial ramifications. If the player proves to be a huge problem, then no team will take the chance on them.

However, I do think there are very specific situations in which the league should step in. I think that Adam Jones was an example of that situation. He was caught up in an investigation on some horrible crimes and very much deserved to lose any job if his employer so chose to do so. He was given multiple chances and kept on blowing it. Chris Henry was in the same boat. There comes a point where you might have to face the facts that you have to give up on somebody. I don't like to see it any more than anybody else and don't rejoice when somebody gets suspended, but I have no problem with the league stepping in when its needed.

And the #1 question. What's wrong with the NFL trying to keep its image up? Somebody said that real world rules don't apply. He** yes, they do. The NFL is about one thing. Money. That money doesn't come from us, the fans. It comes from sponsors. We have seen before that sponsors don't like bad press. Kobe Bryant is a great example of this. He lost endorsement deals when the whole rape scandal went down. He wasn't convicted of any crime, but still lost endorsements. If the NFL wants to release somebody from employment for conduct reasons, I believe they completely have the right to do so. It's all about the money and if they feel like they will get more money from endorsements with a better image, then you can bet they will do their best to do just that.
Image
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

User avatar
Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16386
Joined: 4 Sep 2006
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Gun control is hitting what you aim at.

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:31 am

Excellant point Joel. The league is trying to polish the package sold as football. My concerns on that level are that in trying to tie a bow on the product they will sacrifice the quality of the product. Eventually people look past that packaging to see the value of the product. There simply aren't enough top notch players to afford dismissing some becuase they don't live model lives.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are more poorly played games in this league of late. That is the image I'd want to improve.
Image


I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 16300
(Past Year: 80)
Joined: 20 Jul 2003
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Living in the shame only a Lions fan knows

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Start & Sit Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Get Ready...
The 2014 NFL season kicks off in 5:05 hours
(and 44 days)
2014 NFL Schedule


  • Fantasy Football
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact