Chris Henry released by Bengals - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Henry released by Bengals

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:41 am

moochman wrote:Excellant point Joel. The league is trying to polish the package sold as football. My concerns on that level are that in trying to tie a bow on the product they will sacrifice the quality of the product. Eventually people look past that packaging to see the value of the product. There simply aren't enough top notch players to afford dismissing some becuase they don't live model lives.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are more poorly played games in this league of late. That is the image I'd want to improve.

That's where it comes down to difference of opinions. The players that have been suspended as of late haven't seemed to be the top notch players and it hasn't seemed to hurt the product to me. The only one that I see that really was a top notch gamebreaker type player was Adam Jones. I have yet to see a suspension that I personally thought hurt the league by that player being gone. That's just how I personally see it though. I also don't think the teams those players have been released/suspended from were ever all that upset. I haven't heard Cincy fans complaining about Henry or Titan fans complaining about Pacman, etc.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:40 am

joelamosobadiah wrote:
moochman wrote:Excellant point Joel. The league is trying to polish the package sold as football. My concerns on that level are that in trying to tie a bow on the product they will sacrifice the quality of the product. Eventually people look past that packaging to see the value of the product. There simply aren't enough top notch players to afford dismissing some becuase they don't live model lives.
Maybe it's just me, but it seems like there are more poorly played games in this league of late. That is the image I'd want to improve.

That's where it comes down to difference of opinions. The players that have been suspended as of late haven't seemed to be the top notch players and it hasn't seemed to hurt the product to me. The only one that I see that really was a top notch gamebreaker type player was Adam Jones. I have yet to see a suspension that I personally thought hurt the league by that player being gone. That's just how I personally see it though. I also don't think the teams those players have been released/suspended from were ever all that upset. I haven't heard Cincy fans complaining about Henry or Titan fans complaining about Pacman, etc.

It is indeed where a difference of opinion is. There are only so many players good enough to play in this league. Losing even lower tier players hurts the product. Injuries and poor performance often gives bench players PT and non-stars failure to execute a block can lead to a play breaking down and a stud underperforming. Just look at the Giants last season. Their overall depth help propel them to a championship season. Lets say that Ahmad Bradshaw gets suspended for off field shenanagans. No big deal, he is just a scrub. Yet one would have to wonder if the Giants would have had any shot without him. This league more than most relies on all of it's players for success so no player is expendable.

I think, therefore I am. I think fantasy, therefore I am unreal?
moochman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterSurvival Of The Fittest WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 80)

Postby stomperrob » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Hmm... interesting development:

Bengals Cincinnati.Com » Bengals
Last Updated: 5:59 pm | Thursday, August 14, 2008
Bengals talk with Henry's agent
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • August 14, 2008

GEORGETOWN, Ky. – The Bengals have had “conversations” with representatives for wide receiver Chris Henry, his agent told the Enquirer late this afternoon.

"Don't put any stock in NFL.com," Lewis said. "I don't think (the story) has any legs for any reason."

Agent Marvin Frazier said he and the Bengals were engaged in "just conversations right now."

Henry was waived by the Bengals on April 3, following his fifth arrest in their employ. All charges were later dropped in a Hamilton County court.

Henry was suspended for the first four games of the NFL season by Commissioner Roger Goodell for violating the league’s personal conduct policy.

In his three seasons with the Bengals, Henry was especially productive in the red zone: 17 of his 88 career receptions were for touchdowns.

Bengals head coach Marvin Lewis was unavailable for comment this afternoon. The team will practice tonight at 7 at Georgetown College.

The Bengals might not be happy with their depth at receiver behind starters T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson.

The leading candidates for No. 3 receiver are two rookies, Jerome Simpson and Andre Caldwell, and a trio of veterans: Glenn Holt, Marcus Maxwell and Antonio Chatman.

If the Bengals are seriously interested in bringing back Henry, the situation could represent a power struggle within the organization.

con't...

rest of article: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 40003/1066

and...

Paul Daugherty
Longtime Enquirer sports columnist Paul Daugherty files news and observations on sports and more.
Who Wants C. Henry?
Posted 8/14/2008 9:55 AM EDT on Cincinnati.com

Marvin Lewis has made it emphatically clear he has no interest. So who does?

Is it simply Henry's agent, trying to drum up buzz for his talented, forlorn client? Is he making it up?

Or does Mike Brown think Henry can help?

I have no idea, but if that's the case, what does that say about the relationship between owner and coach? What does it say about M. Brown's supposed commitment to the straight and narrow? After all the problems this club has had, all the way back to Victoria C., what does it say about anyone's common sense?

A laudable trait of the owner's is his big heart for second (OK fifth-) chance players. Brown genuinely cares about his players. But that empathy has no business interfering with sound football choices. They can't bring Henry back. They can't even be talking about it. It's this sort of thing that will push Marvin toward the exits

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... innati.com
Fantasy Football: "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity"
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 168)

Postby eaglesfan » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:19 am

Rotoworld says the signing due to Chad Johnson's shoulder injury....it appears to be worse then they originally thought.
10 Team, H2H, PPR
Lineup:
E. Manning - T. Romo
W. Welker - R. Cobb - H. Nicks
M. Forte - D. Sproles - CJ Spiller - S. Ridley
J. Finley - K. Rudolph
M. Bryant
Arizona - Green Bay
eaglesfan
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Cincinnati.Com » Bengals
Last Updated: 1:51 pm | Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Bengals re-sign Henry
By Mark Curnutte • mcurnutte@enquirer.com • August 19, 2008

The Bengals this morning announced that they have re-signed wide receiver Chris Henry.

The club did not release any terms, but The Enquirer learned the contract is for one year.

Henry passed his physical earlier this morning and worked out for coaches, proving that he was fit to practice. He is not expected to be on the field later today when the team practices at 5:15.

Henry flew Monday to Cincinnati from Charlotte, N.C., where he had been training.

Bengals president Mike Brown, who has said on the record in the past that he likes Henry as a person and a player, has declined to be quoted on the Henry decision, club public relations director Jack Brennan said.

But head coach Marvin Lewis had twice dismissed the idea of Henry rejoining the team, saying a player must be a productive part of a team and that a job as an NFL player is a privilege.

con't...

rest of article: http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 90330/1066
stomperrob

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby FatFoot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:53 pm

stomperrob is the "news" MVP of this site.
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby stomperrob » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:33 pm

FatFoot wrote:stomperrob is the "news" MVP of this site.

Lol, ya mean I get a promotion from cub reporter! :-b ;-D
stomperrob

Postby FatFoot » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:23 pm

LOL Yeah, but it's in title only, so don't let it go to your head. :)
FatFoot
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby fantasizing » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:01 pm

Problem is for the Bengals is that he won't play the first 4 games. By that time, Johnson should be back as well.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby steelerfan513 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:49 am

From Rotoworld:

Bengals owner Mike Brown is responsible for the team re-signing WR Chris Henry.

"The owner has the final say," coach Marvin Lewis said. Oh boy. This could undermine the head coach's authority a week after he said of Henry, "I'm not interested." Clearly nothing has changed in Bengal-ville.

Also from Rotoworld about a month ago:

Coach Marvin Lewis has ruled out the possibility of suspended free agent Chris Henry returning to the Bengals.

Some team may take a chance on Henry, but the Bengals would be insane to bother. "It's not productive for our football team," Lewis said. "You have to be a productive part to be a NFL player. There is a responsibility to be a NFL player. It's a privilege, not a right."

What this tells me is that if the Bengals don't make the playoffs, Marvin Lewis is gone.
Kudos to Leber for the amazing sig and to Metroid for the userbar and making them both fit
2008 and 2009 Defunct Dynasty League Champion
steelerfan513
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk