Chris Henry released by Bengals - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

Chris Henry released by Bengals

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: Chris Henry released by Bengals

Postby fantasizing » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:45 pm

steelerfan513 wrote:From Rotoworld:

Bengals owner Mike Brown is responsible for the team re-signing WR Chris Henry.

"The owner has the final say," coach Marvin Lewis said. Oh boy. This could undermine the head coach's authority a week after he said of Henry, "I'm not interested." Clearly nothing has changed in Bengal-ville.

Also from Rotoworld about a month ago:

Coach Marvin Lewis has ruled out the possibility of suspended free agent Chris Henry returning to the Bengals.

Some team may take a chance on Henry, but the Bengals would be insane to bother. "It's not productive for our football team," Lewis said. "You have to be a productive part to be a NFL player. There is a responsibility to be a NFL player. It's a privilege, not a right."

What this tells me is that if the Bengals don't make the playoffs, Marvin Lewis is gone.

GOOD! The bengals should fire Lewis. He's done not absolutely nothing with a team loaded with talent for last 4-5 seasons.
fantasizing
Head Coach
Head Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby aaawall91 » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:38 pm

I wouldn't call losing in the playoffs because Kimo the assassin ripped apart your Pro-bowl QB's knee (while stilled tied) and went on to win the Superbowl doing nothing, or at least his fault.

Note: Bengals won the divisions, Steelers were the wild card.

But at the same time, I don't feel Cincinnati is the place for Marvin. Good coach, just not here :-°
aaawall91
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 62)

Postby JasonSeahorn » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:53 pm

It's not Lewis' fault if he says they don't want Henry and the owner, his boss, resigns him anyway. Just goes to show that talent trumps character in the NFL, even if the talented guy constantly gets in trouble....talent is too sexy for teams to slip away so they will try their best to deal with the headcases.

Lewis hasn't done the greatest job as a head coach, but like aaawall91 said, they got royally screwed with Palmer's injury in the playoffs, the year after that Palmer was still recovering (since the injury was so late it definitely made a difference), and last year their O-line was in shambles. This year IMO is the year for Marvin to prove his worth...if he does bad again this year, then I will understand if people want him to go.

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby LS2throwed » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:22 am

Thing that Marvin does need to take credit for is the lackluster defense year in and out since he has been there...He was touted as this defensive guru coming from Baltimore yet that has been their weak spot, at some point he has to change that as a HC, especially since defense is supposed to be his 'forte'.

I don't know if the GM has been in charge of all these bad character guys, they took Chris Henry and Thurman in the draft, it was well documented that both had character concerns, I would like to think Marvin had some hand in those selections...People were so shocked that Lofa Tatupa went before Thurman, because Seattle values character more then Cincy, now they still have their franchise MLB and Thurman is wrecking havoc somewhere.

I do agree Marvin didn't want to bring Henry back, but if he doesn't make the Bengals respected on the defensive side of the ball he deserves to get the axe after all this time...No excuse for that.
Current Cafe Dynasties:
4th and Goal
Fourth & Inches
Double D
Any Given Dynasty
Eat Cheese Dynasty
NFL's Finest
Cafe Very Special Forces
LS2throwed
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Musketeer