NEW Dolphins Draft day rumor - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to Football Talk

NEW Dolphins Draft day rumor

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: NEW Dolphins Draft day rumor

Postby BlueBandit24 » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:41 pm

Munboy wrote:Why not pick????? Why wouldn't the dolphins just trade away the top pick dirt cheap? Who says they have to follow the whole draft position math formula value thing anyways? If they don't want to pay #1 pick dollars, why not just find somebody to switch 1st round positions and maybe get something like a 3rd or 4th round out of it?

Yea, it was mentioned earlier. And I agree with TGM. Taking a crappy value just to get rid of the pick is a great way to stagnate a franchise. I'd rather take the player I feel most comfortable with than give the #1 away for well below market value. I also do not think the Dolphins are going to pass on this pick. If they drop down to 4th and took somebody there, I could see a lengthy holdout as that player asks for #1 money.
BlueBandit24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby JasonSeahorn » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:32 pm

Looks like the Dolphins have been talking to Jake Long and Vernon Gholston, probably will get to Chris Long eventually. They want a contract in place before they pick, unlike what Oakland and Jamarcus Russel did last year..

Thanks to deluxe_247 for sig, he is welcome to sail with the Captain too!

I will win all of the fantasy cafe games.....next year
JasonSeahorn
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Munboy » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:00 am

BlueBandit24 wrote:
Munboy wrote:Why not pick????? Why wouldn't the dolphins just trade away the top pick dirt cheap? Who says they have to follow the whole draft position math formula value thing anyways? If they don't want to pay #1 pick dollars, why not just find somebody to switch 1st round positions and maybe get something like a 3rd or 4th round out of it?

Yea, it was mentioned earlier. And I agree with TGM. Taking a crappy value just to get rid of the pick is a great way to stagnate a franchise. I'd rather take the player I feel most comfortable with than give the #1 away for well below market value. I also do not think the Dolphins are going to pass on this pick. If they drop down to 4th and took somebody there, I could see a lengthy holdout as that player asks for #1 money.

I understand about getting value out of your picks when trading, but the OP was about skipping the pick all together just to avoid paying #1 dollars. That's what I was responding to. I don't think Miami will skip the pick, but to think they would is crazy talk. I'm sure they could find somebody who wants to move up (Jerry Jones still jonesing over McFadden??). In the end, yes they will bite the bullet and make the pick. Who they pick is up in the air. They need both OL and DL.
Feel small yet?
Munboy
Head Coach
Head Coach

Postby onnestabe » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:41 pm

Seems like their best move would be to get the top 4-5 guys on their board all together in one room and offer them all the same deal, then tell them the first one to sign it is the #1 overall pick. The players would all know that if one of them signs it, the others will all be paid less than the guy that signed because the second overall pick never gets paid more than the first overall. The only way any of the players would get more money is if they all agreed not to sign the deal, but then they would all be faced with the proposition of trusting the other guys not to sign it, which would be tough for at least Gholston and Jake Long.
onnestabe
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerEagle Eye

Postby joelamosobadiah » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:38 pm

onnestabe wrote:Seems like their best move would be to get the top 4-5 guys on their board all together in one room and offer them all the same deal, then tell them the first one to sign it is the #1 overall pick. The players would all know that if one of them signs it, the others will all be paid less than the guy that signed because the second overall pick never gets paid more than the first overall. The only way any of the players would get more money is if they all agreed not to sign the deal, but then they would all be faced with the proposition of trusting the other guys not to sign it, which would be tough for at least Gholston and Jake Long.

That's funny. I just studied game theory in economics. Basically the identical principle you stated here. :-b
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby TGM » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:25 pm

onnestabe wrote:Seems like their best move would be to get the top 4-5 guys on their board all together in one room and offer them all the same deal, then tell them the first one to sign it is the #1 overall pick. The players would all know that if one of them signs it, the others will all be paid less than the guy that signed because the second overall pick never gets paid more than the first overall. The only way any of the players would get more money is if they all agreed not to sign the deal, but then they would all be faced with the proposition of trusting the other guys not to sign it, which would be tough for at least Gholston and Jake Long.

Frickin' brilliant idea! ;-D

Wonder if Tuna has thought of that yet? ;-7
TGM
Offensive Coordinator
Offensive Coordinator

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:58 pm

I have actually thought about something like this the past few years with the insane amount of money that the #1 pick gets. I think it would be a great idea. Get the top 4 or 5 guys together in one room with their agents if they want and say this is the deal and this is what we're offering. And spell it out for them it terms of we're taking the first one of you who agrees to this, whoever agrees will be the #1 pick and everyone else will receive less money because at best you would be the #2 pick, and we don't care what the #1 pick last year made because this isn't last year. Then split them all up and put one team executive with each one and say do you want the deal or not? I highly doubt there would be a "united front" and all of them would pass on the deal. Someone would break and agree and the others would all know that someone agreeing was likely to happen. Agents might hate the idea, but it would work and it is business 101.

I'd love to see a team actually do it though. I'm sure the NFLPA would step in and try to counter the process if it were to happen.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby joelamosobadiah » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:21 pm

smackthefirst wrote:I have actually thought about something like this the past few years with the insane amount of money that the #1 pick gets. I think it would be a great idea. Get the top 4 or 5 guys together in one room with their agents if they want and say this is the deal and this is what we're offering. And spell it out for them it terms of we're taking the first one of you who agrees to this, whoever agrees will be the #1 pick and everyone else will receive less money because at best you would be the #2 pick, and we don't care what the #1 pick last year made because this isn't last year. Then split them all up and put one team executive with each one and say do you want the deal or not? I highly doubt there would be a "united front" and all of them would pass on the deal. Someone would break and agree and the others would all know that someone agreeing was likely to happen. Agents might hate the idea, but it would work and it is business 101.

I'd love to see a team actually do it though. I'm sure the NFLPA would step in and try to counter the process if it were to happen.

Check three posts up.
joelamosobadiah
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorCafe Blackjack Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby smackthefirst » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:29 pm

joelamosobadiah wrote:
smackthefirst wrote:I have actually thought about something like this the past few years with the insane amount of money that the #1 pick gets. I think it would be a great idea. Get the top 4 or 5 guys together in one room with their agents if they want and say this is the deal and this is what we're offering. And spell it out for them it terms of we're taking the first one of you who agrees to this, whoever agrees will be the #1 pick and everyone else will receive less money because at best you would be the #2 pick, and we don't care what the #1 pick last year made because this isn't last year. Then split them all up and put one team executive with each one and say do you want the deal or not? I highly doubt there would be a "united front" and all of them would pass on the deal. Someone would break and agree and the others would all know that someone agreeing was likely to happen. Agents might hate the idea, but it would work and it is business 101.

Check three posts up.

Haha. No I saw that Joel. That's actually what lead me to post what I was referring to. It was more a comment on the fact that I had thought about something similar during the last two drafts. I was just trying to say what I had thought about and where there are slight differences between what I thought would occur and what onnestabe posted even though the underlying concept is identical. Heck, I might have even posted eluding to it somewhere on the forums last year or the year before but I'm just too lazy to go look for it.

Oh, and it's good to be back. I've been horribly busy lately and have neglected the Cafe way too much recently.
My Playoff Team - Please Comment
MSchaub, DMcNabb, JFreeman, KKolb
SJackson, THightower, CWells, JForsett, JSnelling, CJennings, QGanther
RWayne, RMoss, RMeachem, MCrabtree, DBowe
VDavis
smackthefirst
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertEagle EyeMatchup Meltdown Survivor

Postby Gnu314 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 5:31 pm

Theres a reason this won't work... Different positions require different payment. Look what the Texans did with Mario Williams, Reggie Bush ended up having a bigger contract with the Saints than Williams did. If one of the players was a QB, theres no way he'ed agree to the same terms as a DE prospect. Its a nice idea though.
Gnu314
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerSweet 16 Survivor

PreviousNext

Return to Football Talk