The 2008 Husker Thread - Fantasy Football Cafe 2014 Fantasy Football Cafe

Return to College Football

The 2008 Husker Thread

Moderator: Football Moderators

Re: The 2008 Husker Thread

Postby HskrPwr13 » Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:44 pm

ShoelessJoe wrote:In the last seven years, 63 of the 65 BCS conference teams have beaten a top 20 team. Duke is one of those teams. The other? ...well I am posting this in the Nebraska thread... Interesting statistic though, I would've never guessed Nebraska.

I realize 7 years ago, Solich was the coach, but really the crux of this "streak" is Callahan. Since he took over, NU has found a way to blow a win against a high, or at leaster higher, ranked opponent every year. You just saw the gag job against Texas Tech. Last year it was a 21-7 4th qrtr lead over top 15 Texas before NU's D collapses and Jamal Charles goes off for 200 yrds in the 4th qrtr alone. The year before that it was the Texas in the Snow. On a 3rd and 2 (I think) with 2 minutes left if NU gets the first down the game is over. Nunn makes the catch, crosses the first down stripe, and promptly loses the football. Texas wins it by 2 with a FG in the last few seconds. The year before that against top10 Texas Tech, NU picks off a pass with seconds to go to seal the win, but the DT that picked it decides he wants some yards to go with his INT. He gets about 2 yrds before he fumbles and Tech recovers. Tech TD with seconds remaining to win the game.
Theres been a couple of others losses like this to unranked teams and some other couldda, shouldda, woulddas that werent quite as dramatic. I'll be glad when Bo gets HIS players. Hopefully, the brain cramps that allow this team to consistently pull a loss from jaws of victory will graduate with this class.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:11 pm

I'm gonna pro-actively state my venom for the Gator Bowl if they take a 6-6/7-5 crappy-ass Notre Dame over an 8-4 Husker team. That's our Jan1 spot.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Postby knapplc » Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:14 am

The Gator Bowl won't take Nebraska over Notre Dame this year. Both teams travel really well and will fill their stadium, but contractually, if the Gator Bowl takes a Big XII team this year they're locked out from Big XII teams for the next two years. There's no incentive for them to take this Nebraska team over two year's worth of possibly really good Big XII teams when they can fill their seats with Irish fans.

We're going to the Sun Bowl, barring some kind of minor miracle. I'm fine with that - after missing a bowl game two of the past four years, just about any bowl is fine with me.
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby knapplc » Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:38 pm

Maybe the Domer loss to 'Cuse was that minor miracle I talked about up there? ^^^

Losing at home to a team like that can NOT make you attractive to a bowl, especially when your last game was a humongous beat-down at the hands of USC.

We'll have to see...
How 'bout them Huskers!
knapplc
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerGolden Eagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafe Blackjack Weekly Winner

Postby HskrPwr13 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:19 pm

knapplc wrote:Maybe the Domer loss to 'Cuse was that minor miracle I talked about up there? ^^^

Losing at home to a team like that can NOT make you attractive to a bowl, especially when your last game was a humongous beat-down at the hands of USC.

We'll have to see...

No chance they take ND unless they upset USC. ND is going to the SUN assuming NU beats CU. If a 6-6 ND team finds their way to a Gator Bowl over 8-4 NU, the Gator will be getting a strongly worded "screw you" letter.
HskrPwr13
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to College Football